'The Augusta Chronicle' wins 15 Georgia Associated Press awards

Saturday, May 19, 2012 4:15 PM
Last updated 10:11 PM

The Augusta Chronicle won 15 Georgia Associated Press awards for 2011, including honors as the state’s top newspaper Web site.

Photographer Michael Holahan won six awards. Among his three first place awards was his picture story “A momma to all,” on Marietta Conner, a neighborhood fixture in Olmstead Homes who doles out love and discipline to the children who live in the public housing complex. He also won photo of the year, the AP announced Saturday.

Former Chronicle photographer Corey Perrine won three awards, including first and second place in photo illustration for images of Thomson senior pitcher/first baseman Abe Cartledge and The Augusta Chronicle’s Dream 16 area football players.

In newswriting, Perrine and staff writer Tracey McManus won second place for best online coverage of a single news story. Their story and photo and video project on Bob and Anita Gordon portrayed the family coping with his degenerative physical condition brought on by amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. McManus also won a third place award for feature writing for the story on the Gordons, titled “Faith, hope & love.”

In the same category, sports columnist Scott Michaux won second place for his profile of former Masters Tournament champion Jackie Burke, who is still going strong as a teacher at age 89 despite suffering a stroke six years ago

The Chronicle’s investigation into the problems of the Augusta-Richmond County Fire Department won second place in Freedom of Information, with lead writers McManus and Susan McCord being honored.

GEORGIA ASSOCIATED PRESS AWARDS
Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/19/12 - 03:52 pm
Awards

Congratulations, AC. Maybe some of your naysayers will get off your back. You publish a good paper. My grandfather ,who was an employee during the early thirties, would be proud.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 05/19/12 - 04:28 pm
Thanks Carleton

I'm particularly proud of the first place in the web site category. We've worked hard on that.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/19/12 - 05:14 pm
Web site

Sean, you should be proud. You have every right to be. The improvement that I have seen over the last year is remarkable.

Insider Information
Insider Information 05/19/12 - 06:23 pm
Congrats

Congratulations to the Chronicle.

We are reminded everyday that the Chronicle is THE source for local news. Turn on the radio or flip on the TV, you will hear the newspaper pages being flipped and see their "reporters" reading the newspaper word for word.

It's great that the Chronicle is once again getting statewide recognition.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/19/12 - 06:52 pm
Proud for you

Some things are great Sean......:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/19/12 - 07:00 pm
Web site

Be honest with me SM......what input do we have in helping you make this a great web site for posting??

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/19/12 - 07:10 pm
Sean Moores writes: "For some

Sean Moores writes: "For some reason I don't think our naysayers will back off. They don't always understand the separation between Editorial and News."

This "avid reader" does. You will find my news comments far from negative. But the political agenda, let alone one sided opinions from the ACES does not serve this community in a fair and balanced way. However, those are just their opinions-however misguided- that sadly lack facts. The shame is that it does reflect badly upon the honest work of other departments.

Now as to this "opinion" expressed on another thread that we the consumers are simply guests. I would dispute that. I would never charged a "guest" for the privilege of being my customer. That is a fact!

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/19/12 - 07:27 pm
Congratulations

This "avid reader" does. You will find my comments far from negative in most sections of the paper. And, you are right about this naysayer not backing off, but not for "some reason". For good reason is more like it. The political agenda, let alone one sided opinions from the ACES does not serve this community in a fair and balanced way. However, those are just their opinions-however misguided- that sadly lack facts. That does not make me a naysayer of the whole paper, just that bunch. The shame is that it does reflect badly however unjustified, upon the honest work of other departments. I take consolation that there doesn't seem to be a single award for the ACES. Think maybe they'll get the message?

Congratulations and good for you Sean. Your pulling of some of my comments I didn't(still don't)like, but you have forced me to be more thoughtful in my posts, and for that I thank you.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/19/12 - 07:38 pm
Congratulations ACES and

Congratulations ACES and especially congratulations to Sean, who does an excellent job managing the online contributors. It can't be easy! I'm proud of our newspaper.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 05/19/12 - 08:18 pm
Chronicle Has A Problem With Spelling

"■Portfolio: First place, Michael Holahan, "A momma to all," "Race teams get down, dirty," "Solider arive home early,"

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/19/12 - 09:26 pm
RA, You just proved the point

RA, You just proved the point Sean made. There is no reason or need for ACEs to provide editorials from any side but their own. Editorials reflect the views and opinions of the editor. They may choose to publish op-ed's and oppossing columns in the opinion section - oppossing opinion written by citizen, jornalists, etc... That's still not an editorial. I found that ACEs routinely post letters with a variety of conservative, liberal and human interest content which makes them more than fair in comparison to some liberal papers. Not to mention the Rants and Raves. Outside of that, the news peices seem free of opinion, bias and agenda for the most part. I guess your real question is, does print media have an obligation to publish opinion pieces on both sides of the debate in the opinion section of a newspaper every day, every other day, or once a week? The real answer is they don't have to - ever. I wouldn't mind seeing it maybe twice a week, but I feel comfortable knowing it won't be an ACEs editorial.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 05/19/12 - 10:23 pm
is sean moores saying that

is sean moores saying that the editorials and news are different in terms of quality? and that the news is of high quality? that's kinda funny.
i like the stories that tell of all the winners, like some other papers put out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/20/12 - 06:40 am
Gotta be honest

Some of your posters make this place lively---interesting....& funny...

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/20/12 - 06:57 am
New York Times

Those that want to read a paper that publishes liberal view points every day should read the New York Times. Their editorials will make you giddy. If that is not enough for you try the Huffington Post. It will make a tickle run down your leg. Don't expect that from the AC, it has a more sensible view of the political theater.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/20/12 - 07:16 am
Duvall

I want to hear both sides.....don't always agree with either side 100%...but hey..that is life..

Techfan
Techfan 05/20/12 - 07:29 am
The AJC is a good example of

The AJC is a good example of an unbiased editorial page. They have Jay Bookman-left, and Kyle Wingfield-right. I understand that Billy has a very right wing slant (unless he can make money off it, then he's in favor of government give-a-ways). I'd like to see at least one member of the editoral/opinion board write from the point of view of the left. I'd also like to see a byline for the editorials.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/20/12 - 08:26 am
seenitB4

I think that it a reasonable position. Neither view is a mirror image of what many of us believe. What I find disturbing is those that take a position and refuse to compromise. There must be a middle ground that we all can live with.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/20/12 - 08:54 am
AJC

Unlike the AC, the AJC bias bleeds into the news. And on the Editorial page, up until readers forced them to rid themselves of Cynthia Tucker, the bias there was one sided.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/20/12 - 01:53 pm
desertcat6, if you had a

desertcat6, if you had a working knowledge of the newspaper business your point of view might change. I spent 17 years in the business and can tell you for sure that a community newspaper for sure should be a servant to it's community i.e. customers especially when it has no alternative in a paid for subscription format.

The Chronicle does this well in most area's except their editorial department. By printing only one point of view and a proven hypocritical one at that in many instances they do not properly serve this community.

And before you go off on your private ownership rant, think about this. The Chronicle, as do many other papers across the nation, gets a rather substantial government stipend to serve this community. Or, did you think the Chronicle prints all those Legal Notices out of the goodness of their hearts for the sole benefit of the community.

There has been a move underfoot to replace those expensive, taxpayer supported newsprint notices with strictly Internet postings in our Georgia State assembly and you can bet your sweet bippy that Morris Communications or any other print medium, let alone the Georgia Press Association will not be supporting any candidate in favor of cutting that the old fashioned program out. That's business, buddy and I have nothing against it. But it seems to me if you are on the public dime for some of your income then maybe you should better serve ALL of the public not just your side of the street.

For the record. I am in favor of retaining the current method of publishing Legal Notices in a print format, by the certified community newspaper with the proviso of having them duplicated in the online editions of those papers. I don't believe that we have reached the state of affairs in this nation to where online only would serve our communities best.

Insider Information
Insider Information 05/20/12 - 11:05 am
How ironic

It always pleases me when the staunchest critics of the Chronicle (see above) are the same ones who repeatedly read, comment and discuss the Chronicle.

It is the critics - as well as the supporters - that truly keep the Chronicle going. How is that for irony?

Techfan
Techfan 05/20/12 - 11:48 am
Since the AC is essentially

Since the AC is essentially the only game in town, why would anyone be surprised that both fans and critics read it? Personally, I think it's a tad overpriced, especially for those who get the print subscription since they have to pay twice (don't get me started on hte rip off for archives). For those of us who live in very rural settings (I think it used to be called farm delivery), it makes no sense to even get the print edition, since by the time it arrives we've already read it.

Jake
Jake 05/20/12 - 12:17 pm
Subjectivity

I have been online with the Chronicle for at least 8 years and have been part of their continual changing of the format. I think Sean and the others involved with the evolution of the online forum have done a very good job.
That being said, the editorials could use some tweaking. I think what RA said above is true in regards to the same editorial view day after day. It gets old reading the same thing daily. I like a good steak but if I was eating it every day then it wouldn't take me long to tire and get bored with it. Variety is the spice of life.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/20/12 - 12:24 pm
AC. Sean. many thumbs up for

AC. Sean. many thumbs up for a very good Newspaper and the on line site.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/20/12 - 12:25 pm
Kudos and Congrats. Yall

Kudos and Congrats. Yall deserve it. I enjoy reading the paper and the on-line ranting and demagoguery is quite fun too. You gotta have a sense of humour.

Techfan
Techfan 05/20/12 - 12:41 pm
just: You may have forgotten,

just: You may have forgotten, or been unaware, that while the AJc had Cynthia Tucker on the editorial page they also had conservative Jim Wooten, conservative and former Ga GOP Rep Bob Barr. That makes 3 right wing to 2 left wing. An odd split for a "liberal" paper, and much better than an all conservative to zero liberal split of the AC. Also, Ms. Tucker and the others at the AJC, assign(ed) their names to their editorials. That's something we don't see at the AC. As I said earlier, a byline would be nice. I do think Sean does a very good job. There have been some odd instances of abuse warnings on comments that I thought were rather tame (like getting zapped for mentioning a poster was writing from Bizarro World (the backwards planet in Superman comics). When comic book references get zapped, it might be a tad too strict.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/20/12 - 09:30 pm
Retired Army
Retired Army 05/20/12 - 01:21 pm
tech, and this is where the

tech, and this is where the management of our community newspaper is really missing out. Just think how the online clicks would expand, which provides advertiser fodder, should they boldly go where they have never gone before.

As to my being an avid reader and a bold critic. This comes to mind. If I didn't read it, I couldn't criticize it with any credibility.

There are actually posters on these threads who candidly admit to and actually glory in NEVER reading an opposing viewpoint. These are "experts" who only have half the story.

To paraphrase the religion arguement so popular today amongst Conservatives. Freedom of the press, does not mean freedom from the press. American style democracy is founded on the free and peaceful exchange of ideas. That's a patriotic stance as far as I can tell.

An adendum: I have no idea what kind of military folks are serving in these days. In my time it was a volunteer/draft outfit and we leaders were required to keep and encourage our troops to be informed. Made for one fine Army to serve America in.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/20/12 - 01:38 pm
To help clarify matters and

To help clarify matters and maybe mollify those hardworking regular and underpaid Chronicle staff, I hereby resolve to change acronym i have been using ACES-Augusta Chronicle Editorial Staff, to AACOS, Anonymous Augusta Chronicle Opinion Staff.

Hey Chronicle People, I'm on your side. I want this paper to survive, but I fear that if it continues in it's anochronistic ways and only presents one sided opinion it may not. That would be a diservice to our hometown!

Tip O' the hat to Techfan for the idea concerning signing the op-eds. If you folks are truly passionate and believe the stuff you are paid to write,(I'm not and until I am I remain an anonymous servant)then have the courage and decency to own up to it.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 05/20/12 - 02:32 pm
Service

RA, I served my country long before you did. I was in the navy from 1942 to 1946 and i am sure that you know what was going on in the world during those years. What that has to do with the ACs editorial policies is beyond me. As I mentioned earlier if you don't agree with their policy you can read the NEW YORK Times whose liberal slant I am sure you will find to your liking. Just because you disagree with the AC doesn't make them wrong. I, and many others, think that you are the one out of step. BTW, I believe enough in my convictions that I am owning up to my identity.

desertcat6
desertcat6 05/20/12 - 02:57 pm
RA, Again, again and again.

RA, Again, again and again. Editorials reflect what? The opinion of the editors. I learned that in a highschool journalism class. I also learned that words are important and what you call things are important. That's why there's a distinction between a editorial, a signed op-ed, and political/position commentary in the form of a guest column. Each has its purpose and place in the opinion section of the paper.