Fatal morning accident in Aiken

Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:49 AM
Last updated 9:25 PM

A pedestrian was killed after being struck by a pickup in Aiken County Thursday morning.

According to South Carolina Highway Patrol Lance Cpl. Judd Jones, a 2002 Ford, driven by Dexter Smith, 46, of Aiken, was traveling east on Bettis Academy Road at 6:15 a.m. when it struck Gary Gregory, 51, of Graniteville.

Gregory was walking north on Bettis Academy Road when he attempted to cross over to Whaley Pond Road, Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said.

Carlton said witnesses reported that Gregory stepped in front of the truck.

Gregory was transported to Medical College of Georgia Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 10:08 a.m., Carlton said. Toxicology tests are pending.

Smith and a 16-year-old passenger were not injured. Heavy rain may have been a factor in the incident, Carlton said.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/17/12 - 08:13 am
My Aunts live off that road

My Aunts live off that road and they were just saying last weekend that someone was going to get killed there. Prayers to the family of this individual.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/17/12 - 08:34 am
Reports elsewhere indicate it

WRDW reports the SCHP has changed it to an accident with injuries and not a fatality. Reports indicate it was a pedestrian that was hit. Just wonder why someone is out walking so early in such bad conditions as there were this morning.

corgimom
corgimom 05/17/12 - 08:54 am
Most of Aiken County roads

Most of Aiken County roads are nothing more than paved wagon tracks and are extremely dangerous. They were never designed for auto traffic and accidents are common. Some of them even started out as Indian trails. I always drive carefully when I'm in Aiken County.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/17/12 - 09:07 am
@corgi: Really? That's a bit

@corgi: Really? That's a bit of a blanket statement. A lot of backroads in Aiken county fit that description, but "most" certainly do not. I always drive carefully in Aiken county, too...and Richmond, and Columbia, and...

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 05/17/12 - 09:19 am
Bad area

The real problem with that area is, it is a main road between I20 and Graniteville, so a lot of cars are driving at higher speeds but there are a lot of trailers and houses right next to the road. I drive past the trailer park at this intersection several times a week and am always on the lookout because I have seen children playing near the road on multiple occasions. I was on this road last night and had to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting some people walking down the road.

You just can't convince some people that roads are dangerous.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/17/12 - 09:23 am
@Philo It certainly doesn't

@Philo It certainly doesn't help that there's pretty much zero lighting along that road, too. I've never understood why people would think it's safe to walk in a busy roadway like that (or any roadway for that matter) in the dark. With Sage Creek subdivision there with room for something like 5,000 homes, Byrd Elementary and eventually a new middle school, new Bridgestone expansion and whatever other industry is attracted to Sage Mill Industrial Park; it's only going to get busier as time goes by.

twolane
twolane 05/17/12 - 10:53 am
bdouglas the same people

bdouglas the same people walking are the same ones that believe they have a right to ride bikes then complain when they get ran over in heavy traffic

saywhatagain
saywhatagain 05/17/12 - 06:27 pm
Go figure

As I drove by the accident site this afternoon on my way home from work (I was by there at 6:24 this morning), there was a guy (I'm guessing in his 20's) walking on my (right) side of the road with his back to traffic. I'm thinking to myself, "Does he know a pedestrian was critically injured (and later died) at this exact spot this morning"? There's virtually no shoulder on the road at this location and he's not even facing traffic.

Pu239
Pu239 05/17/12 - 08:28 pm
When you select the flag as

When you select the flag as offensive hyperlink....it's really a shame that one of the drop downs is not "Ignorant"

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/18/12 - 08:24 am
Prayers to Mr Gregory's

Prayers to Mr Gregory's family and to Mr. Smith, I am sure that it is a horrible feeling to have killed someone even though it was an accident.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/18/12 - 12:32 pm
I've often pondered why Aiken

I've often pondered why Aiken County seems to have a disproportionate number of vehicle related deaths. Even on I-20, there seem to be many more crashes between Aiken and Augusta than Augusta to Thomson.

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.