Rev. Al Sharpton to speak at Springfield Baptist anniversary

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:37 PM
Last updated 4:44 PM

The Rev. Al Sharpton will speak at a 225th anniversary celebration of Augusta’s historic Springfield Baptist Church.

Sharpton  AP
AP
Sharpton

Limited seating will be available for the event at 3 p.m. Aug. 12 at the church, 114 12th St.

Springfield Baptist, founded in 1787, is believed to be the nation’s oldest continuously meeting black church.

Sharpton, a Baptist minister, is founder and president of the nonprofit civil rights organization, National Action Network.

Learn more at historicspringfieldbaptistchurch.org.

dcl01
dcl01 05/15/12 - 02:24 pm
Please!

A fine church to be sure! Why would you ruin an anniversary celebration by having this windbag speak....

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 05/15/12 - 03:11 pm
Test for Al

Wonder if Al will speak about the increasing rash of incidents of black on white attacks that are inspired by the Travon Martin case?

For example: www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/04/mobile-man-clings-to-life-after-brutal-...

If Al would call for restraint and patience in this matter, I'd sure have a lot more respect for him.

If he does not and instead just continues to stoke up the fires of violence, well, then we'll know his true motives and agenda.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 05/15/12 - 03:14 pm
A wonderful church,why

A wonderful church,why direspect it with a race hustler.

Newsflash
1911
Newsflash 05/15/12 - 03:20 pm
225th anniversary !

225th anniversary ! Congratulations to the members and clergy. I wish them 225 more years and blessings.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/15/12 - 04:12 pm
Great Job Springfield!!

Wish you guys another 225!! Bad choice for a speaker!

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 05/15/12 - 04:14 pm
dear how, i am not trying to

dear how,

i am not trying to diminish your post it is very important, but i have one better. since one half of the "justice bruthas" is going to be in town how about calling for a march thru the inner city of augusta thru the projects, ending on east boundry in front of river glen apts calling out the welfare queens, brood mare females with 4-5 kids with 4-5 different "baby daddies", thugs, drug dealers, and parents/enablers of the drug dealers, and identifying all known drug houses. naw that is too much to ask, ole rev al, the one half of the "justice bruthas" will cite "trayvon" and his murder as the cause of all the problems in the black community, the out of control unwed births, black-on-black crime, drugs, and the lack of motivation to get an education as well as using "trayvon" to fill up the collection plates.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/15/12 - 04:23 pm
Wow! It is pretty cool having

Wow! It is pretty cool having Springfield Baptist Church in our own community. 225 years is worthy of a grand celebration! However, I think having a controversial figure as Al Sharpton speak at the program takes away from the significance of the event and allows him to, once again, take the spotlight.

Jake
Jake 05/15/12 - 04:34 pm
Happy Anniversary

My guess is that all of the one's commenting on Rev Sharpton were not planning on going anyway. I am sure that he will be welcomed by the Springfield Baptist Church or he wouldn't have been asked to speak.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/15/12 - 04:59 pm
Jake

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 05/15/12 - 08:28 pm
So who is the man of God

So who is the man of God going to be at that service?

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/16/12 - 08:35 am
@sweet son "We just hope he

@sweet son "We just hope he preaches a good Baptist sermon to help the folks celebrate the successes of their ministry. Just hope he doesn't make it a media event to express anything else!"

Are we talking about the same "Reverend", here?

charlesaiken
charlesaiken 05/15/12 - 09:22 pm
Just hope he doesn't make it a media event to express anything e

Sweet son, the #1 race baiter in the US don't know how to do anything else.

debbiep38
debbiep38 05/15/12 - 09:37 pm
Jake, I'm sure he was

Jake, I'm sure he was welcomed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/16/12 - 07:07 am
yep we know

We know about his ties to Brown...he is still a windbag...& still likes the tv time.....
If he would go into the black neighborhoods & try to stem the crime rate...drugs...out of school kids....murders...I think more would respect him...BUT the tv & media wouldn't follow him there.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/16/12 - 08:43 am
You Go Al! Welcome to

You Go Al! Welcome to Augusta. The racists here are hoppin' mad tonite.
Hell, they don't even know about your strong CSRA ties via James Brown.

Great choice Springfield! I applaud not only your celebration and your
survival, but your courage and dedication to God's truth through the years.

scooter2762
scooter2762 05/16/12 - 09:09 am
If I had been planning on

If I had been planning on attending, the choice of speaker would have changed my mind.

allhans
allhans 05/16/12 - 09:45 am
RA.........How could we

RA.........How could we possibly not know everything there is to be known if connected to James Brown. My goodness, folks...

allhans
allhans 05/16/12 - 09:47 am
"limited seating". Does that

"limited seating". Does that mean a ticket is required? hmmm

Jake
Jake 05/16/12 - 10:00 am
Limited Seating

I think that means if your can is more than 24" wide then you will not be allowed in.

Bruno
Bruno 05/16/12 - 10:26 am
Al (I refuse to call him Reverend) Sharpton

Jake, one can still comment on the choice of speaker even if they were not planning on attending.
RA, Sharpton has shown himself to be, if not a racist in its true definition, at the very least a bigot. Opposition to Sharpton's bigotry does not make one a racist. It simply makes one a reasoning individual.

faithson
faithson 05/16/12 - 10:56 am
gotta love it when people

gotta love it when people fall back on the excuse that one is 'racist or a bigot' because they don't hear what they WANT to HEAR from people on the other side of the spectrum. Why can't we allow 'free speech' to be just that.. without calling people names.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/16/12 - 11:27 am
Racism is the least of

Racism is the least of Sharpton's issues given his comments and troubles related to jews, mormons, and homosexuals. But I support his presence as long as he is not one of those Black liberation theologist spreading hateed and discrimination (mainstream christianity isn't the white mans religion). If he is here to celibrate with the community and preach the love of Christ I want to give em a big hug. But if it is all about him-then he is missing the message eh.

toppergem
toppergem 05/16/12 - 02:23 pm
Welcome back to the city of Augusta, Mr. Sharpton!

I for one applaud the members of Springfield Baptist Church for their anniversary speaker. Maybe someone will be challenged by what he says to be more community active.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/16/12 - 04:16 pm
Congratulations

Congratulations Springfield!!! May it be our God, who is glorified in your celebration!!

Jane18
Jane18 05/16/12 - 05:04 pm
Why have Sharpton?

While I think it is wonderful about the 225 years of your church, why would you even consider someone like Al Sharpton to speak in your church? I'm sorry, but this man says and does things that I feel cannot be coming from GOD, he does not impress me at all! Someone let us know if Caucasians are welcome in your church, I would love to hear what Sharpton speaks on.................

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/16/12 - 07:37 pm
jane18 writes: "Someone let

jane18 writes: "Someone let us know if Caucasians are welcome in your church,"

Well, that's an informed citizen for you. I'd highly recommend that you take the time to visit a predominatley Black church sometime. You may well be surprised at the warmth, welcome and spirit you can find there. Be sure to stick around for the Sunday lunch if they have one.

Bye the bye. Most True Christians that I know(yes I associate with Christians) do not refer to the church they attend as "their" church, but rather God's church.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/16/12 - 09:47 pm
Oh, RA, shake a little port

Oh, RA, shake a little port in that peach cobbler and be nice to Jane.

Jane18
Jane18 05/17/12 - 07:10 pm
A Simple Question

I'm sorry you felt the need to be somewhat of a smart-aleck to me RA. I asked a simple question, because I know there are some buildings with people in them that do not want anything to do with "whites"(an example would be Jeremiah Wright's, I believe that is where Otis MossIII took over as pastor). And by the way, "the church" is GOD's people, it is Not a building. Oh yeah, I have attended several churches of both black and white members,they were wonderful experiences, so there you go..............