Racial rift over Ga. history marker

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:30 AM
Last updated 8:31 AM

MARIETTA, Ga. — The school board in an Atlanta suburb is reviewing plans for a historic marker after a board member objected to the language used to refer to African-Americans.

At issue is a marker for the all-black Lemon Street School, which operated in Marietta during the era of segregation.

The Marietta Daily Journal reports that the Lemon Street School Heritage Association, which includes former Lemon Street graduates, has worked on the wording for months. The plan was for the school board, which owns the property, to approve the language.

The latest revision says the building was constructed “to accommodate Marietta’s Negro students.”

School board member Stuart Fleming said the new wording is offensive, and the board shouldn’t be involved in a decision that would lead to continued use of the word.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/09/12 - 08:40 am
pc

We have pc..ed ourselves to death in this country...is there any wonder our schools are sinking ..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/09/12 - 09:48 am
Alumni

I think I would vote for the wording selected by the alumni (presumably all black) over the objection of one bitter, old school board trustee.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/09/12 - 11:50 am
seenit, Marietta schools most

seenit, Marietta schools most certainly are not sinking.

Frank I
Frank I 05/09/12 - 12:13 pm
seenit

I have to agree to some extent with seenit on this one... I found myself taken about the other day in the grocery store when picking out a can of beans and saw the word negro on the can.. How sad is our conditioning that seeing "negro frejitos" causes an initial adverse reaction.. The wording as it is currently would seem to me to be historically accurate, and it IS an HISTORICAL marker.

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 05/09/12 - 12:37 pm
I really don't understand how

I really don't understand how the word Negro is offensive. Sorry, just don't see it folks!

luvmykitty
luvmykitty 05/09/12 - 02:28 pm
offensive word

don't see how that would be offensive, we have already changed the flag twice, what more is wanted.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 05/09/12 - 03:06 pm
Please tell me what is a

Please tell me what is a African American

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/09/12 - 03:52 pm
...and comments like those

...and comments like those above are the reason why Augusta is still left behind...

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/09/12 - 06:10 pm
Negro is a word!

I'm with jdsgirl. When the school was built segregation was probably the norm and the "people of color" were probably called negros. It doesn't seem that describing the school as it was in the day is unheard of. If the language offends some then change it. There are certainly more problems than that in our "government schools." And yes, when I grew up there were three bathrooms at the filling station; Men, women and colored around back!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/09/12 - 07:33 pm
Trivializing

Ummm, the "United what College Fund?"

When it has come to the point where this is the hill Mr. Fleming wants to fight on, it becomes obvious that the cause of equality has degenerated into nothing more than trivial pursuit.

And by the by, the Pentagon has actually twice as many bathrooms as required by building codes because when it was built in the '40's the services were still segregated.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/09/12 - 09:06 pm
What's in a name?

If you can't use the word Negro in its historical context on a historical marker because it is now considered by some to be offensive, then please also remove it from all the (divisive) organizations that include the word Negro in their name. And I supposed we must remove black beans from the Spanish section of the grocery store, too.

luvmykitty
luvmykitty 05/09/12 - 09:17 pm
patty p's comment

What about the United Negro college fund, is that offensive.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/09/12 - 09:51 pm
Sweet Son writes "When the

Sweet Son writes "When the school was built segregation was probably the norm and the "people of color" were probably called negros"

Well at least the word started with an n. Come to think of it THAT word is still pretty common in society today. Both sides of the fence. Hear it all the time on both sides of the fence. The difference is that one side looks around before they use it these days. Guess that's progress of a sort.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/09/12 - 10:35 pm
Retired Army....just because

Retired Army....just because SOME people use the term doesn't mean it's accepted by all. I wouldn't use the term personally, and though the term 'Negro' was used back then, doesn't mean it can't be upgraded a bit to merge with what is or should be acceptable and PC today. Perhaps the former Lemon Street graduates will have the last say...

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/10/12 - 05:02 am
This is a prime example of

This is a prime example of why black people in this country are having such a difficult time obtaining what they percieve as racial equality in this country. Blacks object to the use of the word "negro"...even though they will always allow the use of it with the "United Negro College Fund". Blacks object to the used of the "n" word...even though they STILL use it freely and often in their own rap songs and comedy shows. At one point in time in was okay to use the term "negro"...then it was deemed better to use term "colored"...then it was more acceptable to use the term "black"...no, that was changed to the more PC term "African-American"!! What's next? I'm sure there are other examples. The point is that there is no consistency here..just hyprocrisy. To the black people on here....can you see this point?? Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

owensjef3
owensjef3 05/10/12 - 07:21 am
Oh Boy, I guess his article

Oh Boy, I guess this article will get one hundred comments, When the people see the article "Racial rift over Ga. history marker" they can't wait to weigh in.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/10/12 - 07:15 am
heh

Some things are just not worth the time & trouble anymore....

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/10/12 - 08:19 am
But isn't "Negro" actually

But isn't "Negro" actually the proper description for people of African heritage? I certainly understand why some people may find it offensive since the "n" slur evolved from it, but in its historical context I think the usage is fair.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/10/12 - 08:30 am
Logic

Don't try to apply logic to something that is nothing but emotions.

JRC2024
JRC2024 05/10/12 - 08:44 am
New name

Put on the marker.
The Lemon Street School-built and operated during the era of segration.
That way there is no reference to any color. Isn't that the way it should be.