Obama voices support for gay marriage

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:29 PM
Last updated 5:32 PM

WASHINGTON — Ending months of equivocation, President Obama declared his support for gay marriage on Wednesday, an announcement fraught with history that also injects a potentially polarizing issue into the 2012 race for the White House.

President Obama declared his support for gay marriage on Wednesday in an interview with ABC at the White House.  FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS
FILE/ASSOCIATED PRESS

“I have hesitated on gay marriage in part because I thought that civil unions would be sufficient,” Obama said in an interview with ABC at the White House. He added that, “I was sensitive to the fact that for a lot of people the word ‘marriage’ was something that invokes very powerful traditions, religious beliefs and so forth.”

Now, he said, “it is important for me personally to go ahead and affirm that same-sex couples should be able to get married.”

Obama’s announcement cheered gay rights groups who have long urged him to support gay marriage. It also opened up a new area of disagreement with Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who opposes gay marriage.

Polling suggests the nation is evenly divided on the issue.

Obama spoke about his support for gay marriage in deeply personal terms, saying his young daughters, Malia and Sasha, have friends whose parents are same-sex couples.

“Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated different,” Obama said. “It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Obama said his wife, Michelle Obama, was also involved in his decision and joins him in supporting gay marriage.

“In the end the values that I care most deeply about and she cares most deeply about is how we treat other people,” he said.

Acknowledging that his support for same-sex marriage may rankle religious conservatives, Obama said he thinks about his faith in part through the prism of the Golden Rule — treating others the way you would want to be treated.

“That’s what we try to impart to our kids and that’s what motivates me as president and I figure the most consistent I can be in being true to those precepts, the better I’ll be as a as a dad and a husband and hopefully the better I’ll be as president,” Obama said.

OJP
OJP 05/09/12 - 03:58 pm
Well done, Mr. President!

Well done, Mr. President!

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/09/12 - 04:05 pm
Sadly, the one person the

Sadly, the one person the President didn't consult concerning his belief is his Heavenly Father whom he professes to be a child of. It is one thing to treat people with kindness, respect, and love. It's another to blatantly disobey the teachings of Christ concerning sin. If the President won't take a stand for Christ in this matter, I believe he will not take a stand for Christ in anything else.

OJP, I'm sure the President would enjoy hearing you say Well done, because I seriously doubt it will be coming from his Heavenly Father.

BamaMan
BamaMan 05/09/12 - 04:16 pm
OBAMA

....there are just no words, well actually there are, and ChristinLove said them for me. Thank you! Contrary to what this president thinks or claims to be, there are still alot of Christians in this nation, and I hope they speak loud and clear in November. I nor God hates gays, which is just a sugar coated word for what the Bible says, homosexuals, but it says it's a sin, and the sin is what God hates,and that settles it. Don't want to believe it? No matter, you will be judged whether you do or not, and I don't believe it will be the answer you are hoping for.

raul
raul 05/09/12 - 04:09 pm
Obama supporters

Will this affect your vote this year?

Cdr4500
Cdr4500 05/09/12 - 04:22 pm
Way to go Mr. President.

Way to go Mr. President. It's about time you grew a backbone on this issue!

For the naysayers...

I really and truly don't understand how anyone can so blithely hate people who are homosexual. It makes about as much sense to me as hating someone because they have red hair, or have green eyes. I mean, it's just such a waste of energy, and for those who stand behind their religion to defend their hatred, it seems to be in complete defiance of most religious tenets. More specifically, the Judeo-Christian religion.

When I self-identified as a Christian(years ago), I was always taught that you must love others as Jesus loves you and to always follow the Golden Rule. I could never think of Jesus being the type of person who would advocate hatred the way modern day churches and religious organizations are today. I know whenever I hear of people beating a gay person (to death at times) just because they had the strength and courage to accept and love who they are my heart hurts and I truly believe that if you are a person of faith, your heart should hurt too.

Homophobia makes no sense to me and there is no truly valid argument can be made in support of it. It's not as though people of the LGTBQ community have started wars, have committed or have attempted to commit genocide, have actively persecuted heterosexuals, or have fought to take away rights of heterosexuals. In certain (very extreme) cases, a valid argument can be made to make specific instances of racism (or nationalism) excusable but I just don't see why or how someone can think it's okay to be homophobic.

Dictionary.com defines homophobia as an unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality. The way I see it actively denying rights to homosexuals, throwing out hurtful homophobic slurs, and/or thinking that they are an abomination makes you someone who is homophobic. If you defend the above actions or other actions against homosexuals, you are saying that homophobia is excusable.

To say homophobia is excusable is to say that it's right for people to kill someone for being gay.

To say homophobia is excusable is to say that it's okay that children are killing themselves because of the bullying they receive as a result of being gay or being perceived as gay.

To say homophobia is excusable is to say that it's okay for your child who may be gay or questioning to be afraid to come out to you or talk to you about it. You are saying it is okay for your child to fear you.

Can you imagine what that must be like? Your teenaged (or older or younger) child is questioning whether or not s/he's gay and they areterrified that they are because they see how much you hate gays. They see how afraid you are of people who are homosexuals and how you say nothing but negative things about gays and they are petrified that all of that hatred will be directed towards them. In my opinion, if your child is ever afraid of you, you have failed them as a parent. Your most important directive in life as a parent is to make sure they always feel safe, protected and loved by you, and your hatred of gays means (to them, at least) that you hate your child.

I don't ever want to hate my child.(If I ever change my mind about having any that is)

The last thing I'll say is what in the hell does what other people do have to do with you?? How is someone being in a happy, healthy homosexual relationship impacting your life in any way, shape or form? Heck, how is someone being in an unhappy, unhealthy homosexual relationship impacting your life in any way? Do you think omnivores in their households are somehow affected by what vegans do in their households? Of course not. That would be silly.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/09/12 - 04:24 pm
The answer for them is no

The answer for them is no Raul, which is a huge conflict in the AA community from my observations.
This just more typical election year pandering for the chameleon in chief. It is a calculated move to shore up support from the wavering liberals.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 05/09/12 - 05:40 pm
Sounds like he was agianst it

Sounds like he was agianst it before he was for it....
Most conservatives I know don't mind same-sex civil unions. What we oppose is changing the definition of the word marriage. Lest we forget. words have definitions. Marriage has, for thousands of years meant the union of a man and a woman. But same-sex couple should have the right to have the same priveliges of a civil union.
What's funny to me is that Obama was quoted three years ago as saying his opinion was "evolving".So he's finally made up his min?If a conservative tried this he'd be called a "flip-flopper"...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/09/12 - 04:35 pm
Votes

This announcement will cost him some votes.

Insider Information
Insider Information 05/09/12 - 04:45 pm
Why is the government

Why is the government involved in licensing any marriage - gay, straight, or otherwise?

And, who cares what the president thinks about what happens between two consenting adults?

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/09/12 - 04:56 pm
Insider, I believe that

Insider, I believe that people care what the president thinks because ultimately he is the leader of this nation and how he views things can affect his decision on how he runs this nation and policies he pushes to sway states to agree or disagree.

iLove
iLove 05/09/12 - 04:56 pm
Ungodly

ICL I finally agree with you. This is SUCH an unchristian move.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/09/12 - 04:58 pm
Some CNN reporter said this

Some CNN reporter said this morning that President Obama was reticent to make such a statement because it might turn off African Americans (who as a rule do not support gay marraige). And he said that with a straight face too.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/09/12 - 05:01 pm
iLove, as much as I find this

iLove, as much as I find this distasteful, the president has a right to believe as he chooses. My problem comes when you profess to be a follower of Christ and then make choices that goes completely against the biblical beliefs set by God. We wonder why our country is so confused about what Christianity is....we say one thing but do the opposite.....this is a prime example.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/09/12 - 05:14 pm
It all comes down to votes.

It all comes down to votes. He had his "evolving" opinion statement for votes, and now he's changed his opinion for votes. His advisors have gauged what they think is the public's opinions and made the calculated decision for him to be pro homosexual marriage. Obama is only "in it to win it" and he doesn't care if he sells his soul to get re-elected. Honestly, the same can be said for many politicians. Personally, I'm against same sex marriage.

Cdr4500
Cdr4500 05/09/12 - 05:16 pm
"WE CAN'T REDEFINE MARRIAGE

"WE CAN'T REDEFINE MARRIAGE IT WILL MAKE JESUS ANGRY!!!" Really? Let's see:

1691: Only whites can marry

1724: Slaves can marry with the permission of their owner(s)

1769: The wife is property of the husband

1899: Marriage is only between two persons, polygamy is illegal

1900: A wife can own her own property

1965: A wife can take contraception without her husbands permission

1967: Inter-racial couples can marry(Yes 1967...*sighs*)

1975: A wife can have credit in her own name

1981: A husband does not automatically own all property

1993: A husband does not have the right to force his wife to have sex (marital rape)

Hmmmmmmmm.....

yakirz
yakirz 05/09/12 - 05:17 pm
Good!

It's 2012, time to get with the program. If you don't want to have a same-sex marriage, no one's forcing you.

It's "gay marriage legal," not "gay marriage mandatory."

Bruno
Bruno 05/09/12 - 05:21 pm
It is interesting to note

It is interesting to note that he phrased his opinion in "I" and "personally". I think that allows him to say that while he "personally" feels this way he isn't going to make it a Federal policy. I believe that people should be able to marry whomever they wish but I do think that the idea that marriage is a civil right is flawed.

It is also interesting to note that while various polls say that the issue is evenly divided the polls that actually decide the matter prove differently.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/09/12 - 05:23 pm
The laws of nature

Oh good. Not only does Obama want the government to violate the Constitution.....now he wants it to violate the laws of nature. Is there no group Obama won't pander to?

Oh well, at least they will not be demanding we pay for their birth control.

Cdr4500
Cdr4500 05/09/12 - 05:41 pm
So you want to oppose

So you want to oppose same-sex marriage claiming it ruins the sanctity of marriage...

Alright, then lets make it a requirement if you want to pass laws preventing same-sex marriage you also include a provision that bans divorce and makes adultery a criminal act.

If it's all about the sanctity of marriage...then ban EVERYTHING that ends a marriage, biggest catalyst being divorce...since no marriage can end without an official divorce.

Oh if your stance is based on a religious reason, well that's unconstitutional and that argument is completely pointless, so just stop talking you're just wasting our time.

So...will these ignorant people agree to this? Probably not. Because we know this has nothing to do with the sanctity of marriage and everything to do with an unconstitutional, ignorant stance from a bunch of homophobic bigots who claim to follow Christianity but don't know a damn thing about what it is to be a real Christian.

Bruno
Bruno 05/09/12 - 05:48 pm
Jesus

Jesus was completely silent on the subject of homosexuality. To those that point to the verse in Leviticus I must ask are you willing to follow that verse to the letter?

cgrman
cgrman 05/09/12 - 06:02 pm
this is not a religious issue

Regardless of the President's beliefs, he swore to uphold the Constitution when he took the oath of office. Upholding the bible, koran, or any other religious tome is of no import when considering whether laws are constitutional.

He has made the decision to support same-sex marriage on the basis that it accords with the tenets of our Constitution. Whether same-sex marriage is considered acceptable to one's spiritual leader necessarily must have no import in this national discussion. The ONLY question is whether same-sex marriage is legal under our Constitution. This nation is not ruled by the bible. Its laws flow from the Constitution. Period, end of story.

Ma'am
Ma'am 05/09/12 - 06:02 pm
I don't understand how some

I don't understand how some people can blame God for their disinterest in human rights. I believe He loves us all the same. I hate to burst your bubble but Obama will serve another term and he'll do it well- just as he has the past 4 years. I was definitely born in the wrong part of the country(the south) the things I love- sweet tea, manners and family vales don't add up with the racism and bigotry some people face here- my heart hurts for these people.

iLove
iLove 05/09/12 - 06:15 pm
I agree ICL. Bruno: Have

I agree ICL.

Bruno: Have you read Romans? Do you REALLY think GOD wants man and man or woman and woman to lie together? If you think the answer is yes, then I challenge you to develope a deeper relationship with The Most High.

We are creating laws based on feelings.....so should it be legal for a man to have sex with an animal...because the man feels that he want to do that?

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/09/12 - 06:27 pm
I love writes "Not speaking

I love writes "Not speaking on it, to me, is the same as not agreeing with it. Jesus followed God's word, so to speak....so we all know hoe Jesus felt about Homosexuality."

And.....Jesus was a "hoe". Hoe do you know this?

Well, as Ma'am pointed out Homosexuality is one of the bastions of bigotry left here in this neck of the woods, so to speak.

And hey on that Leviticus thang. You really want to go there?

Bruno
Bruno 05/09/12 - 06:31 pm
Yes, I have

iLove (odd name in light of your apparent hate of homosexuals) Yes, I have read Romans. I have read it in context not simply that one or two verses. Your position seems to be that if I don't agree with you then I am less of a Christian. That pious, self righteousness is one of the reasons many people dislike organized religion. I offer a counter challenge to you to use the intellect God gave all of us and stop being so dogmatic.

Your "sex with an animal" argument is specious.

Bruno
Bruno 05/09/12 - 06:35 pm
Religion aside

I would caution those that are pro-homosexual marriage against putting too much stock in Obama's "personal" feelings. As I noted before he couched his position completely in the realm of his feelings on the matter and did not in any way insinuate that it would be reflected in any of his policies.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 05/09/12 - 06:35 pm
"Points"

Slight change in subject where do those "Points" come from??

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/09/12 - 06:36 pm
Ah, heck! I'm feeling snarky.

Ah, heck! I'm feeling snarky. No golf in the rain today. Here are some reading from the Book of Levititcus, and other than the arguement that it is from The Old Testament, one has to wonder-and gets to in America-why folks hold this drivel in such high esteem.

And for God's sake don't take my word for it, by all means, do investigate for yourselves:

OJP
OJP 05/09/12 - 06:36 pm
@InChristLove: What did Jesus

@InChristLove: What did Jesus *himself* ever say about homosexuality?

@dichotomy: In what way does homosexuality violate the laws of nature? It is found in hundreds of other species. And, in any event, are you willing to forego everything that is unnatural, such as prescription glasses and synthetic material? Heck, fewer animal species wear clothes than exhibit homosexuality - and I don't see you damning wardrobes.

I'll say it again: all the proponents of equal rights have to do is wait - the bigots will eventually die off. The path of history is clear. The awful attitudes expressed here will be universally acknowledged as shameful in 50 years.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/09/12 - 06:52 pm
Just More!

I am proud of North Carolina for voting down same sex marriage. They are small fish in the big pond of States but they took a stand. Just more, means that this is just another nail in the coffin of our great nation. I always say this and I will say it again the USA is on a downward spiral from which it will never recover!