Hines Ward wants to coach at UGA

AP
Tuesday, May 1, 2012 8:25 AM
Last updated 3:27 PM

ATHENS - Hines Ward wants to coach someday, and he wants to coach at Georgia. The recently-retired receiver and Hall of Fame candidate made that very clear on Monday.

“I always say that if I wanted to get back into coaching, the University of Georgia would probably be my first place,” Ward told The Macon Telegraph. “Just because I want to give back to my university and I feel like I have a lot to offer the state of Georgia, and to the kids. Because I’ve been in their shoes before.”

The problem, of course, is Georgia doesn’t have a job to offer Ward right now

americafirst
americafirst 05/01/12 - 08:49 am
My God, find a spot for him.

My God, find a spot for him. Imagine what he could do for our recruiting.

Ugahater715
Ugahater715 05/01/12 - 08:59 am
Yes he could truly relate to

Yes he could truly relate to today's players especially after his DUI this past year in ATL.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 05/01/12 - 11:00 am
No one is perfect, but I

No one is perfect, but I agree with ugahater. If we can't hold our leaders to high standards, how can we expect any better of those that they lead? The problem with society today is lack of accountability. Perhaps if we called a spade a spade more often, this world wouldn't be in the mess it is in. To rmwardsr...the difference that it makes is that a DUI is ILLEGAL!!!

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 05/01/12 - 11:06 am
While I do not condone a

While I do not condone a DUI,it is not a crime. There are a lot of ramifications as a result of driving while intoxicated, but his DUI did not involve an accident nor injuring anyone. Read the Bible, no leader was perfect, but it was their imperfections that made them great leaders.

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/01/12 - 11:35 am
Rmwardsr, D.U.I. IS A CRIME!

Rmwardsr, D.U.I. IS A CRIME!
I don't think it should stop him from being a coach. He should start off at the bottom or on a division 3 team . Just because he was a great player doesn't mean he will be a good coach.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 05/01/12 - 12:13 pm
Lord have mercy...find

Lord have mercy...find something serious to worry about...it was not even serious enough to fully prosecute...

www.ajc.com/sports/hines-wards-dui-charges-1358647.html

Bubbagolf
Bubbagolf 05/01/12 - 12:34 pm
Amen Austin!!! Everybody

Amen Austin!!! Everybody makes mistakes. If all people have to do is dwell on the past, then they have no life att all. Judging a person is actually a reflection of some part of yourself.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 05/01/12 - 12:38 pm
My sentiments exactly!

My sentiments exactly!

showboat
showboat 05/01/12 - 12:52 pm
EVERYONE HAS MADE ONE MISTAKE

EVERYONE HAS MADE ONE MISTAKE IN LIFE, IF NOT YOU ARE NOT A LIVING PERSON. HE CAN HELP A LOT OF YOUNG PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD, GRADUATE FROM GEORGIA IN THREE (3) YEARS. HOW MANY FB PLAYERS FROM GA. CAN SAY THAT THEY DID THAT. SOME OF THESE COMMENTS ARE OUT OF LINE, HINES HAS PAID HIS DUES>

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/01/12 - 02:04 pm
Austin, his case may not have

Austin, his case may not have been, but to say DUI is not a crime is ridiculous.
Playing in the NFL does not automatically qualify him as a coach.

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/01/12 - 02:23 pm
Bubbagolf, tell that to the

Bubbagolf, tell that to the families of over ten thousand killed every year (to include two thousand children ) by drunk drivers. Yes we all make mistakes, but most can be avoided. I understand Mr. Ward's case was minor, and believe he will get a chance to coach one day.

DawgnSC69
DawgnSC69 05/01/12 - 04:08 pm
Fire Bobo and hire Ward as

Fire Bobo and hire Ward as the OC. Even with the inexperience of Ward as coach, it could only be an improvement.

Bubbagolf
Bubbagolf 05/01/12 - 04:13 pm
HighSociety, what do I need

HighSociety, what do I need to tell them? That everyone makes mistakes? I am sure they have already realized this. And like I said before to pass judgement on someone is a reflection of yourself, which you just proved because you as a person have made plenty of mistakes as have we all.

FriedFacts
FriedFacts 05/01/12 - 04:18 pm
Y'all worried about a little

Y'all worried about a little DUI that was reduced to reckless driving? Funny when we have Ben Harbin locally and Georgia was the home of the late Hosea Williams who was arrested for DUI so many times Lewis Grizzard suggested we just pay his taxi fare anywhere he wanted to go.

Ugahater715
Ugahater715 05/01/12 - 04:24 pm
Calm down Austin I was merely

Calm down Austin I was merely joking. I was basically just stating that he would fit right in at UGA given his prior run in with the law and the fact that UGA has about 5-10 players arrested/suspended every year for drugs/alcohol.

By the way anyone with money for a lawyer can get out of a DUI. So it is not really surprising that his charges were dropped to reckless driving since it was his 1st offense. Still doesn't mean he wasn't driving drunk that night.

americafirst
americafirst 05/01/12 - 05:04 pm
Ugahater715, I assume you

Ugahater715, I assume you don't know why that is. At UGA, a player gets suspended for failing one drug test or first arrest. At Florida and most other SEC schools, there will be no suspension until a player fails 3 drug tests. You won't even hear anything about the first 2 failed drug tests. At UGA, you are kicked off team for failing 3 drug tests. At Florida and again most other SEC schools (as well as most teams in the country), you don't get kicked off the team until you fail 5 drug tests.

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/01/12 - 05:33 pm
Bubbagolf, There is a big

Bubbagolf, There is a big difference in a mistake and a bad decision.

FriedFacts
FriedFacts 05/01/12 - 05:42 pm
Americafirst, I'd like to see

Americafirst, I'd like to see proof of that. I ain't buying it. UGA suspends a player for one failed drug test while other SEC schools only do it on the third failure? Nope, don't belive it.

noils
noils 05/01/12 - 06:17 pm
Hines is a wealthy man. Is he

Hines is a wealthy man. Is he willing to work 100 hour weeks during the season? Would he be willing to spend his Friday nights watching high school football games in places like Screven County? Very few ex-NFL stars want to work that hard after being on the mountain.

justthefacts
22004
justthefacts 05/01/12 - 06:27 pm
I would love to see Hines

I would love to see Hines Ward contributing to the Dawgs in some manner. We'll see if it happens.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/01/12 - 06:37 pm
americafirst, don't forget

americafirst, don't forget about the rigorous penalty program they have at South Carolina. Steven Garcia was suspended like 5 times and he NEVER missed a game...NEVER! Recently, multiple Carolina players stayed at a "luxury" hotel, with services included, for a HUGE discount ($14 a day??) for months...with the full knowledge of the school....and all they got was a 3 scholarships taken away from them and put on probation. Big deal. If that had happened at Georgia, they probably would've closed down the football program!
But....anyway....I think it's great that Hines wants to coach at Georgia! It's too early, because he has to consider everything involved..even he says that. But, later, it'd be great to find a spot for him if he still wanted it!

augustadog
augustadog 05/02/12 - 08:20 am
Coach Hines Ward. Sounds

Coach Hines Ward.
Sounds great to me. Good to see him not forget where he came from and willing to give back.

Bubbagolf
Bubbagolf 05/02/12 - 08:38 am
A bad decision comes form

A bad decision comes form mistakes in life.