Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman accused of beating another woman in wheelchair

Friday, April 27, 2012 12:18 PM
Last updated 9:53 PM

Police were called to Hal Powell Apartments on Thursday after a woman beat another woman in a wheelchair with a cane in the elevator, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

According to the report, Sylvia Barnes, 57, entered the elevator of the building at 2244 Broad St. in her wheelchair and asked Lizzie Smith, 65, who was standing near the buttons, to press her floor.

Name calling by Barnes ensued after Smith commented that she wasn’t a “slave.”

Police said Smith then beat Barnes with her wooden walking stick.

Barnes was transported to Medical College of Georgia Hospital by ambulance after deputies observed cuts to her face.

Charges have not been filed, but the victim told deputies she wished to prosecute.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/27/12 - 03:56 pm
Hope they have a video. Can't

Hope they have a video. Can't believe a word of hearsay nowadays. I don't know about you, but other than the cuts, how can you really tell there is any real victim in this scenario?

raul
raul 04/27/12 - 09:27 pm
In some cases, older doesn't

In some cases, older doesn't mean wiser.

happychimer
happychimer 04/27/12 - 09:45 pm
If just one was injured, and

If just one was injured, and just 2 in the elevator, who injured the woman? Yep no surprise here. Blame the victim.

copperhead
copperhead 04/27/12 - 09:47 pm
How does ANYONE equate being

How does ANYONE equate being asked to press a floor button on an elavator with being treated as a slave?

GaStang22
GaStang22 04/28/12 - 03:07 am
Really Autumn???

Really Autumn???

GaStang22
GaStang22 04/28/12 - 03:09 am
You got that right raul.

You got that right raul. Trash and criminals don't automatically become good innocent people just because they get old.

tanbaby
tanbaby 04/28/12 - 09:40 am
so now we have to fear for

so now we have to fear for our safety when we ask someone to do a simple task??????

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/12 - 10:58 am
AL, I have ridden elevators

AL, I have ridden elevators thousands of times in my life, and never once have I received any cuts to my face in an elevator.

Have you?

I guess by your reasoning, if you are ever a crime victim, if there's no video of it, then you wouldn't be able to prosecute someone. You don't really think that, do you?

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/28/12 - 11:57 am
Smith refused to kindly push

Smith refused to kindly push the button for a lady in a wheelchair.

Smith is not a slave, but apparently, is not very polite, nice, or humane either.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 04/28/12 - 10:25 pm
Did the "ladies" know each

Did the "ladies" know each other? Kind of sounds like it is a possibility. If so, their history would be important.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/30/12 - 06:38 pm
Strange, corgimom, you seem

Strange, corgimom, you seem to expect everyone else to know when you're being sarcastic, but when someone else is, like I was in my first comment, you seem unable to recognize it. Or do you just save your negativity for me? Sometimes it sure seems like it. I only wrote the above because they usually DO have video in an elevator. On the other hand, sometimes video doesn't even help either victim. My impression is, neither of these people may be quite in their right mind. As for who is the victim, I spelled out in my first comment, for people like you, corgimom, "OTHER THAN THE CUTS".... it is not necessarily simple to determine if there are one or two victims here, because the rest is hearsay. Whatever happened here, there may have been provocation from both sides. It sure would be helpful to have a video to determine exactly what went wrong here besides the obvious physical injuries. And sadly, even if you DO have a video, sometimes it is no help at all. It depends on the court system you are working with and whether it is corrupted or not.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/30/12 - 06:44 pm
BTW,corgimom, I have ridden

BTW,corgimom, I have ridden elevators hundreds of times in my life throughout the United States and Europe. Based on my experience; it is good to have cameras in them. Also, based on my experience, I don't assume that just because there is video or audio or both of a situation, that there will be a successful prosecution of the guilty party. There are too much prejudice, bias, racism and corruption in this world.