Old WJBF building to be demolished

Friday, April 27, 2012 7:28 AM
Last updated 8:57 PM

The old WJBF TV studio in the 1000 block of Reynolds Street will be demolished.

According to a news story on WJBF’s Web site, the Augusta-Richmond County Historic Preservation Commission voted Thursday night to level the building that has stood there for 55 years. It has been vacant since October, when the television station moved to its new location on Augusta West Parkway.

Potential future uses for the site include a new office building, the TV station reported, and the Convention and Visitors Bureau has expressed interest in moving to the location.

Comments (7)

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/12 - 07:32 am

Honestly, that old thing is

Honestly, that old thing is an eyesore.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/12 - 07:36 am

The CVB wants to buy this

The CVB wants to buy this land? Isn't there other government land available for such a public-private group?

curly123053
curly123053 04/27/12 - 08:44 am

Awww, there goes Trooper

Awww, there goes Trooper Terry's barracks!

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 04/27/12 - 09:24 am

I hope they check to make

I hope they check to make sure all of Matt Monroe's old cans of hairspray have been removed. I am sure all that ultra hold could present an explosive situation.

omnomnom
omnomnom 04/27/12 - 11:34 am

put the CVB on the top floor

put the CVB on the top floor of the parking deck. the city owns it (maybe?) or isn't there a corner of the TEE center Barry White can be stuffed?

debbiep38
debbiep38 04/27/12 - 02:50 pm

AC, does anyone know what's

AC, does anyone know what's going to happen to the WJBF/Channel 6 sign on the outside wall? Has it been claimed? can it be purchased?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/27/12 - 10:39 pm

Hey, if anybody finds the old

Hey, if anybody finds the old Magic Viewing Machine, I call dibs on it!!

my.voice
my.voice 04/28/12 - 07:38 am

I hope the sign can be put in

I hope the sign can be put in the ARC museum.

Pedestrian killed on Mike Padgett Highway

A pedestrian was struck and killed Thursday night on Mike Padgett Highway. The victim is the fifth pedestrian to be hit - and third to die - on Richmond County roads since April 10.