Troubled Augusta lawyers face bar review

  • Follow Latest News

David Fry, the attorney who took a plea deal to avoid a conviction on bribery charges, remains a member in good standing with the Georgia Bar Association.

But the license of Joe Neal Jr., who is waiting trial on charges of rape and furnishing alcohol to a person under the age of 21, has been temporarily suspended in South Carolina.

Fry received five years probation and community service March 8 after entering an Alford plea to allegations that he tried to sway the votes of two city commissioners in 2009. His first offender status guarantees he walks away without a felony conviction upon successfully completing probation.

At sentencing Superior Court Judge James Blanchard said a letter would be sent to the Georgia Bar notifying them out of the outcome of the case.

As of Monday, records show no history of disciplinary action against Fry.

Neal and his ex-wife, Caroline Neal, were indicted March 6 on felony charges after a teenage girl said they tried to have sex with her after giving her alcohol and marijuana. Both have pleaded not guilty and have been released on bond.

According to the South Carolina Bar, Neal’s license is under temporary suspension under rule 17 (a), which authorizes the suspension after notice of criminal indictment.

Comments (6)

Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
jlh
0
Points
jlh 04/23/12 - 12:47 pm
1
0

These are just more examples

These are just more examples of lawyers and legal people thinking they are above the law and the rules don't apply to them. I mean, we've got a guy, Saunders, saying he is running for judge who didn’t pay his taxes and filed for bankruptcy so he wouldn’t have to pay his debts - go figure. Great examples for our children. They need to bounce them all out of town.

thewayitis
15
Points
thewayitis 04/23/12 - 01:05 pm
1
0

You got that right.

You got that right.

Dixieman
10391
Points
Dixieman 04/23/12 - 01:12 pm
0
1

99.999% of them are good

99.999% of them are good people.

SON of Scoob
404
Points
SON of Scoob 04/23/12 - 01:59 pm
0
0

99% make the other 1% look

99% make the other 1% look bad

just an opinion
2123
Points
just an opinion 04/23/12 - 08:42 pm
2
0

maybe attorney John Bell can

maybe attorney John Bell can turn this subject into an article about himself.

itsanotherday1
34707
Points
itsanotherday1 04/23/12 - 10:34 pm
2
0

<5% make the other 95% look

<5% make the other 95% look bad. For every "one call thats all" ambulance chaser, there are 25 others laboring away doing honest work for prosecutors offices, corporations, families, and individuals in genuine need of legal assistance. Think about it; name as many jackass lawyers you can think of, then look up the state bar association at the rest you've never heard of and do the math.

madgerman
236
Points
madgerman 04/24/12 - 06:52 am
0
0

So I guess everybody who

Unpublished

So I guess everybody who commits bribery walks away with no criminal record after they finish their ??? probation?? And even after he entered an alford plea. Now lets see, just how much taxpayer money has been spent on this entire episode which falls at the feet of a single person. Sad that we are a "nation of laws " when we have laws that allow such leeway for selected people. BTW how does an attorney remain in good standing with a court while he is on probation?

twolane
191
Points
twolane 04/24/12 - 09:39 am
0
0

yeah like now a group of

Unpublished

yeah like now a group of lawyers are suing every single car dealer in south carolina..over gasp a company making profit....keep in mind these lawyers represent no one they are just suing these companies to line their own pockets lawyers are the scum of the earth

Back to Top

Loading...