Georgia cop handcuffs kindergartner

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:21 AM
Last updated 7:40 AM

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. — Milledgeville police say they handcuffed an elementary school student for safety after the 6-year-old girl was accused of her unwillingness to calm down during a tantrum.

WMAZ-TV reports that police say the kindergartner is accused of tearing items off the walls and throwing furniture at Creekside Elementary. The police report says the girl knocked over a shelf that injured the principal.

The report says when the officer tried to calm the child, she resisted and was handcuffed. The girl was charged with simple assault and damage to property on Friday.

The mother of the child says her daughter was suspended and cannot return to school until August.

Police say an officer’s discretion to handcuff is based on whether the child is a threat to herself or others

raul
raul 04/17/12 - 07:44 am
How do you criminally charge

How do you criminally charge a 6 year old?

OJP
OJP 04/17/12 - 07:50 am
"The girl was charged with

"The girl was charged with simple assault and damage to property."

What?! She's SIX!

meginlea
meginlea 04/17/12 - 07:59 am
I mean, if they couldn't calm

I mean, if they couldn't calm her down, I suppose I understand...I've seen some pretty reckless and unruly kids being my line of work is with children. I don't know about the 'charges,' however. Wow...poor kid....and poor people who were there. I wonder what all goes into the mixture of creating such a response from a young child....sigh.

JohnScott213
JohnScott213 04/17/12 - 08:19 am
I'm guessing the child was

I'm guessing the child was criminally charged so that if she was found guilty, the parents would be liable monetarily for the damage caused.

LLArms
LLArms 04/17/12 - 08:49 am
I'll make this easy for

I'll make this easy for people who don't understand why children are handcuffed.

If a cop restrains the child by any other means they open themselves up to a lawsuit.

"He couldn't restrain a kid without handcuffs?" - what do you expect him to do if a child is flailing about wildly and not obeying? Mace? Taser? Physically sit on the child? Headlock?

Handcuffs allow the child to be restrained without any other physical contact Use common sense people. If he had restrained the child any other means we would be hearing about "how that was overly forceful" etc etc

Jane18
Jane18 04/17/12 - 08:52 am
This article was on my yahoo

This article was on my yahoo page. And, I was very proud to read that not one person disagreed with All measures taken against this little out-of-control-brat!!

debbiep38
debbiep38 04/17/12 - 08:55 am
The teacher must've told her

The teacher must've told her to turn-off her I-phone.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/17/12 - 09:50 am
Yes it is ridiculous, isn't

Yes it is ridiculous, isn't it folks? However, as another poster has already pointed out, now that it is no longer permissible to physically chastise or subdue a child, this is really the only option left. Either that or you leave the child to run rampant while the school psychologist explains to her in reasoned, measured language why it would be in her best interests to calm down......er......pretty please. Welcome to the loony world of modern education.

In another time and another country when I was at school, this young brat....excuse me......."little angel"...... would have been subdued in a heartbeat and taught a lesson she'd never forget. The back of her legs would have been turned a bright shade of red with Mr. Whippy, as the bamboo cane was known.

No wonder this country is full of self-absorbed whackos.

Unholy_Martyr
Unholy_Martyr 04/17/12 - 10:03 am
To be honest, I was half

To be honest, I was half expecting to read that the child was tazed; however, discretion on the officer's part prevented this from being a circus act.

As for the criminal charges...there should probably be an investigation into the home life of the child before going so far as that. I understand the suspension; on the other hand, maybe what she needs is mental help or there is something occurring at home to make the girl act this way.

Just my 2 cents...

bdouglas
bdouglas 04/17/12 - 10:06 am
Gee, where on earth would a

Gee, where on earth would a 6-year-old learn that such violent behavior is an avenue to solving things...?

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/17/12 - 10:15 am
None of you have been in an

None of you have been in an elementary government school class lately!

David Parker
David Parker 04/17/12 - 10:23 am
Adults are responsible for

Adults are responsible for children. If they are unable to control a child, they open themselves up to endangerment of a minor, neglect, or something. Hand-cuffing seems appropriate if a good spanking doesn't work. No spanking = handcuffed kiddos

happychimer
19384
happychimer 04/17/12 - 10:27 am
This child could have mental

This child could have mental problems. I know of a child that was destroying property, fighting, setting fies in the home when he was under 6. He is a teen now, and has mental issues.He is a threat to others and himself. If this 6 yr old girl does have mental issues, I hope she gets treatment now.

GaRealist
GaRealist 04/17/12 - 10:36 am
This is what happens in a

This is what happens in a society that makes it illegal to punish your children for poor behavior. Our society has raised two (2) generations of children now that were not punished but given "time out". Our jails are bursting at the seams giving those same children, now as adults, even more "time out". There was nothing wrong with that little girl that a good paddling wouldn't have solved. She needed the board of education applied to the seat of knowledge.

museofsatie
museofsatie 04/17/12 - 10:39 am
I have no issue with the

I have no issue with the officer using handcuffs in this case. She needed to be restrained in some way, and handcuffs is the safest (physically and legally, for the officer) way to do it.

It's usually not good when a 6 year-old is having tantrums like this. It could be the result of bad upbringing, but more likely it's due to some underlying condition, such as something on the autism spectrum. If that's the case, I hope she's able to get diagnosed and get the treatment she needs so that she can continue her education in the best way possible.

Billyds999
Billyds999 04/17/12 - 10:50 am
Should've been hand-cuffed,

Should've been hand-cuffed, parents called to come to school, parent required to whip, not spank, the child - with police and teacher present.

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 04/17/12 - 10:51 am
absolutely right, muse... in

absolutely right, muse... in addition, the charges could possibly give the courts the power to force the child into some sort of treatment, along with the parents. There is something obviously very wrong here, and it has nothing to do with a LEO (who was doing his job properly, I might add).

allhans
allhans 04/17/12 - 11:07 am
I can imagine what the

I can imagine what the comments would be if the cops had man-handled the child in order to control her.

BarstoolDreamer
BarstoolDreamer 04/17/12 - 11:07 am
I was expecting to see a

I was expecting to see a photo of the the child taken when she was about 2 years old and then read that the officer feared for his life and handcuffed for self defence.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/17/12 - 11:12 am
Nice to see so many

Nice to see so many commonsense comments here. My wife and I had the same conversation a little while ago when we heard it on the radio news; "what else was the policeman supposed to ?" Anything else and he opens himself to a whole different ballgame.

copperhead
copperhead 04/17/12 - 11:16 am
This is child abuse on

This is child abuse on steroids! The little angel was exercising her god-given right of self-expression. Teachers,police,and anyone else involved in violating this poor angel's rights must be jailed and tried in the court of public opinion. There is no excuse for abusing this poor innocent angel!

copperhead
copperhead 04/17/12 - 11:42 am
The teacher has to be at

The teacher has to be at fault for demanding that this little angel behave to the teacher's standards. This teacher had no right to impose his/her will on this innocent child. And the police,which are known to be biased toward the teachers,did not handle this competently. FORCE SHOULD NEVER BE USED NEVER!

kmb413
kmb413 04/17/12 - 12:35 pm
Time for the parents to get a

Time for the parents to get a lawyer, call Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, and copyright her name.

kmb413
kmb413 04/17/12 - 12:37 pm
Comments from family: "A

Comments from family:

"A 6-year-old in kindergarten. They don't have no business calling the police and handcuffing my child," said Earnest Johnson, Salecia's father.

"Call the police? Is that the first step? Or is there any other kind of intervention that can be taken to help that child?" asked Candace Ruff.

Police say they tried to contact Johnson's mother but weren't able to reach her.

Her mother, Constance Ruff. says her daughter was suspended and cannot return to school until August.

"She has mood swings some days, which all of us had mood swings some days. I guess that was just one of her bad days that day," said Constance Ruff.

"She might have misbehaved, but I don't think she misbehaved to the point where she should have been handcuffed and taken downtown to the police department," said her aunt, Candace Ruff..

Unholy_Martyr
Unholy_Martyr 04/17/12 - 12:42 pm
@copperhead I've got to ask

@copperhead

I've got to ask if your last two comments were meant to be sarcastic in any way. I mean, sure the whole thing seems a little extreme but saying "[t]his teacher had no right to impose his/her will on this innocent child" is just the same as telling your boss they have no right to impose their will on you after they fire you for being tardy to work. Schools have codes of conduct for the safety of students, faculty and to maintain an institution of learning just the same as a workplace has a code of conduct. If you're saying that this kid was in any way, shape or form innocent is telling me you have little understanding of what rules are for.

iLove
iLove 04/17/12 - 12:43 pm
They are always putting black

They are always putting black people in handcuffs. America... smh, America.

kmb413
kmb413 04/17/12 - 12:46 pm
ilove, is that because black

ilove, is that because black people are doing something wrong, or just because the police enjoy putting them in handcuffs?

raul
raul 04/17/12 - 12:48 pm
With copperhead, everything

With copperhead, everything is backward. Kind of like the Copperhead party during the Civil War who were northerners, but supported the South. LOL.

Unholy_Martyr
Unholy_Martyr 04/17/12 - 12:51 pm
Actually iLove...they're

Actually iLove...they're always putting people in handcuffs period...they're just moving on to children. Just like they say, you're never to you to start learning!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/17/12 - 12:52 pm
Just be glad she wasn't in

Just be glad she wasn't in some place like Singapore. They would lash her within an inch of her life there for acting like that, and there are other places that would do even worse than that.

City to consider emergency plan

The Richmond County Emer­gency Management Agency has drafted changes to emergency operating procedures. Overlooked, however, were several pages of emergency contact data riddled with ...