Gov. Deal signs bill requiring drug test for benefits

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:19 PM
Last updated 11:04 PM

ATLANTA — Gov. Nathan Deal has signed legislation that would require some people applying for welfare in Georgia to pass a drug test before they could get benefits.

The bill passed the Legislature along partisan lines, with Democrats balking at the proposal as an unfair burden on the poor.

Under the bill, anyone who tests positive for drug use could not apply for welfare for one month and until they test clean. A third violation could prevent someone from applying for benefits for a year. They would also have to pass another drug test before reapplying.

The results from the tests couldn’t be used to criminally prosecute people.

Courts have struck down similar laws in other states, although supporters in Georgia expressed confidence that the law here could withstand a legal challenge.

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 04/16/12 - 04:34 pm
Better late than never. You

Better late than never. You have to pass a pre-employment drug screening to get a job so why not the same before receiving welfare.

twolane
twolane 04/16/12 - 05:15 pm
they did this in florida it

they did this in florida it was a monumental and very very expensive mistake...guess what nearly all welfare recipients passed..as a matter of fact its been proven 75% of all drugs users a full time employees

iLove
iLove 04/16/12 - 05:23 pm
Should we drug test EVERYONE

Should we drug test EVERYONE receiving government benefits then?

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 04/16/12 - 06:12 pm
I'm a government employee and

I'm a government employee and I'm subject to random drug tests. I have no problem with it. Welfare recipients shouldn't either. I mean, they are getting "free" money because they need aid. Surely they aren't using drugs since they can't afford them.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/16/12 - 06:26 pm
Ha-ha..Bantana. What about

Ha-ha..Bantana. What about current legislators?? What about Nathan Deal? How often is he drug tested??

KSL
KSL 04/16/12 - 06:37 pm
I say that the requirement

I say that the requirement for testing should also include those benefiting from the person who is receiving the benefit. A lot of times it's not the grandmother in the Section 8 housing that is abusing drugs, but the granddaughter or grandson she is raising.

specsta
specsta 04/16/12 - 06:49 pm
It's bad enough to be poor

It's bad enough to be poor and in need of government assistance but this sort of legislation is the knife being turned in the wound of poverty.

my.voice
my.voice 04/16/12 - 06:51 pm
There's a judge out there

There's a judge out there somewhere cracking his knuckles just waiting to overturn this. It will never see the light of day. Shame too.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/16/12 - 06:59 pm
specsta give me a break! If

specsta give me a break! If your not doing drugs shouldn't be an issue so how on earth is that a knife wound to poverty?? But this will do little to catch the drug dealing and drug doing boyfriends who never marry all the baby mama's who get benefits. I am personally sick of my hard earned middle class income going to people selling or using drugs on public assistances. I say it is about time.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/16/12 - 07:01 pm
I hope you're all ready to

I hope you're all ready to "pay for" the consequences of legislation like this.

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/12 - 07:09 pm
if the poor are sooo poor,how

if the poor are sooo poor,how can they afford drugs? Oh,yea,they are spending the money that should be spent on their needs.

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/12 - 07:17 pm
I perdict that the number of

I perdict that the number of folks getting welfare in ga. drops by at least 50% palmetto1008, how do you think we all will pay for this?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/16/12 - 07:23 pm
A capitalist society such as

A capitalist society such as ours depends on a surplus labor pool to survive. If you are living a middle-class lifestyle, thank the poor and unemployed. Unfortunately, outsourcing abroad, technology, and the economic downturn, has rendered that surplus labor pool even larger than is necessary to keep our capitalist society afloat. And, unfortunately, we are in a hell of mess. But if your middle-class lifestyle can't afford the scraps and bones that we provide the impoverished and unemployed, then maybe you need to work harder and smarter to achieve a better lifetstyle.

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/12 - 07:25 pm
dang specsta,are you for drug

dang specsta,are you for drug testing to get a job to support ones self,pay taxes,and contribute to the economic well being of the U.S.? And against drug testing for those receiving benefits paid for by those that had to have a drug test to supply those benefits?

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/12 - 07:30 pm
All FOR drug testing to PAY

All FOR drug testing to PAY taxes,AGAINST drug testing to receive those tax dollars! WOW!

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/12 - 07:45 pm
palmetto1008,how about the

palmetto1008,how about the impoverished and unemployed try a little harder and work harder to improve themselves?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/16/12 - 07:47 pm
Funny thing is,

Funny thing is, copperhead...if you had a more prestigious job, you would not be drug tested. That was a point I made earlier.

corgimom
corgimom 04/16/12 - 07:53 pm
This is unConstitutional, and

This is unConstitutional, and will be stricken down.

Drug addiction is a legally recognized disability, and as such, no one can be denied benefits if they are legally disabled.

This is one of the dumbest pieces of legislation signed in Georgia, and that's saying a lot.

May I also point out that for most drugs, they metabolize out of the body in just a few days- so anybody wanting benefits just has to clean up for a few days, then go right back to doing what they were doing.

Dumb. But whoever is the contractor doing the drug tests is going to make a fortune, with no benefit to taxpayers.

copperhead
copperhead 04/16/12 - 07:57 pm
Your explaination just says i

Your explaination just says i should work harder to advance and earn more so i can pay more taxes so there can be better benefits for those on welfare. Plus i should thank them for making me work harder so they can have more.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/16/12 - 08:01 pm
No, I really didn't say all

No, I really didn't say all that, Copperhead.
I wish I had time to unravel the jigsaw puzzle you created and explain it again....but I have another commitment...and it is all above, if you want to look back. Though, let me leave you with my sources:
Knowledge: higher education, lots of it.
Inspiration: the New Testament.
I recommend both.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/16/12 - 08:01 pm
Specsta, Imagine yourself in

Specsta, Imagine yourself in a state of life where you are dependent on an employer for a job to feed,house and clothe yourself....; Roadkill and myself pay a pretty penny for our drivers license. In order to keep that license and the PAYING job that accompanies it we occasionally have to pee in a cup. Can't speak for Roadkill but, I, myself have no problem with expecting someone receiving welfare to have to do the same. Lets get honest here, why would you have an issue with those receiving welfare having to do what we have to do so that we can EARN the money taken from us to furnish their benefits??

specsta
specsta 04/16/12 - 08:40 pm
Smokeysbandit, I've always

Smokeysbandit, I've always wondered why some folks are so up-in-arms about their taxes being used to fund government benefits that help people. I don't think my taxes should be used to build the latest bomb that will be used to rip human lives into pieces of smoldering flesh, but I can't exactly opt out, can I?

I would rather see money used to help folks, not kill them.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 04/16/12 - 08:40 pm
Specta posted:"It's bad

Specta posted:"It's bad enough to be poor and in need of government assistance but this sort of legislation is the knife being turned in the wound of poverty"...So what you are saying Specta, is that is okay to be on drugs because one is poor? And furthermore no restrictions should be put on them because they need government assistance? Well it is like this: I have to work everyday and since I drive a company car I am subject to random drug tests. Not that I do drugs, nor have I ever done them. But my point is this: If I have to submit to a drug test to be able to make money on which I have to pay taxes, which helps fund the government assistance these "welfare" clients get, then why shouldn't they have to submit to a drug test to get part of my hard earned money?

corgimom
corgimom 04/16/12 - 08:42 pm
With certain exceptions- such

With certain exceptions- such as police officers, medical professionals, etc. the only reason why urine tests are done are to lower Workmans' Comp and liability premiums. It is a myth that it is "required" to obtain a job. The employer does it strictly to lower insurance costs.

And since people on welfare are not covered by Workmans' Comp or liability insurance, drug testing them as a condition of receiving benefits is illogical and absurd.

It is even more absurd when you consider that Georgia is allowing medical marijuana in medical clinical trials.

What a waste of time and money this is. You would think that the taxpayers of Georgia would have better sense.

And, as many on here know, I am rabidly against illegal drug use, and I still feel that this is just a dumb, pointless law on the books that will not stand up to a legal challenge.

It is also ridiculous to deny benefits for illegal drug use, but a welfare recipient can be passed-out drunk 365 days a year, and that's ok, that's allowed. Liquor is a whole lot cheaper and easier to get than illegal drugs, and as long as you don't bother anyone, is perfectly legal.

Dumb.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 04/16/12 - 08:46 pm
And to go one step further

And to go one step further while I am on the subject, go to one of your local convenience stores and see who is in line buying multiple lottery tickets in the middle of the day. It certainly isn't the working class. How do I know. Because I work in an industry that caters to the convenience stores, and boy, the stories I could tell. I have seen and heard enough that it has hardened me somewhat to those that present themselves as poor and homeless.

Bizkit
32046
Bizkit 04/16/12 - 09:00 pm
The SCOTUS has ruled it is

The SCOTUS has ruled it is unconstitutional to require drug testing for government employees. I wonder since these people are basically wards of the state will that wacky Attorney General argue they are like employees and try to offset this law. If someone would bring a private citizen drug test mandate for employment upto the SCOTUS my bet they would rule drug testing illegal.

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/16/12 - 09:15 pm
The poor as some of you like

The poor as some of you like to call them are mostly first class con artist. How do I know I see them everyday in the stores buying lotto and beer. Many of the "poor" well sell their EBT cards for cash. Years ago I had a young white guy who was perfectly able to work ask me to do this for him. First of all I was shocked he even got EBT because he was young and able to work even more shocked that he told me he does that all the time. He basically takes a percentage from what I gathered something like a third less than it is worth. Downright stealing from the government and had I had better since years ago when I was younger I should have reported his sorry butt. Here is a really good example of the "poor" go to the Deans Bridge Road Walmart on the first of the month and see the mountains (yes, MOUNTAINS) of food these nicely dressed, hair done, nails done, young ladies in line with about 2 or 3 kids in tow are buying. I made this mistake one time and have never been back in fear I may say something to hurt someone's feelings. Yes, there are real poor people in America but there are a lot of freeloaders living on the government dime and I will support any means we can to get them off. I work hard for my money and after I pay all my bills getting my hair done or nails is a luxury I often can't afford. In fact I have not had my nails done in over 10 years and my hair about every 2 months. Spare many of us working Americans the bleeding heart statement about why do we resent the poor. I don't resent anyone who needs assistance for a while then works their butt off to get off it. Many of these people today have been abusing it for years and generation after generation.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/16/12 - 10:50 pm
Yadayadaya, scooby. I never,

Yadayadaya, scooby. I never, along with many others, never had my nails or hair done.
And, if you can't afford it, get a real job. I'm sure your dimes aren't helping the truly needy anyway.

debbiep38
debbiep38 04/17/12 - 12:18 am
Those mean ole right-wing

Those mean ole right-wing conspirators.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/17/12 - 12:49 am
Total waste of money and

Total waste of money and resources. As others pointed out, they can just clean up ahead of the test, and it doesn't address the fact that grandma is receiving the benefits while the offspring are doing the drugs and roosting with her.

There are better ways to attack the problem than this feel good legislation.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire is closing parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists are advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.