Deer camera catches neighbor theft

MACON, Ga. — Police in Macon say a man accused of stealing cans of gasoline from his neighbor was caught in the act by a deer hunting camera.

Bibb County Jail records show that 26-year-old Jonathan Michael McCrimmons has been charged with theft by taking. The jail records do not indicate whether he has an attorney.

Police tell The Telegraph that McCrimmons was charged with theft Friday morning after they say he was caught on the camera taking full cans of gasoline and returning the cans empty.

bdouglas
bdouglas 04/10/12 - 07:32 am
Forget the camera! I would've

Forget the camera! I would've filled them up with water or worse! One huge engine repair bill and the guy would never do it again...

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 07:40 am
Motion activated &

Motion activated & lordy-lordy....some of the stuff you see on these cameras....GOB has one in the woods near Crawfordville......ya see more than deer...lol..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 08:02 am
This sounds like entrapment.

This sounds like entrapment. First off, it is not a good idea to have cans of gasoline lying around outdoors. But to set up the bait and then put a motion-activated camera on the bait sounds just a little odd. Sounds like a feud.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 08:16 am
LLamb...This incident might

LLamb...This incident might be a feud but I do see the reason some have these cameras...
Many in Atlanta have motion activated cameras in their homes & outside the door.....that is the ONLY way to catch repeated thugs beaking into homes....the ONLY way....I don't blame them.....the police have proof on film & that is hard to disprove in court.....some have 4 or more breakins...sad we have to live in this crap in todays world......thankfully I live in a pretty safe neighborhood.......we do have nosey neighbors & THAT is a good thing to us..:)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 08:22 am
Good point about the cameras,

Good point about the cameras, Seenit. But what do you think of him leaving cans of gasoline outside to tempt people?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 08:33 am
LL....What if you stored the

LL....What if you stored the gas outside because you don't have a garage....or storage unit.......anything in YOUR yard should belong to you......some do buy gas when the price is lower for farm machines & etc......I know some in Hephzibah with large containers......& you SHO can't keep that stuff in the house...or anywhere near the house....anyway....doesn't matter...he was stealing!!

msgret92
msgret92 04/10/12 - 08:39 am
Macon is in the southern zone

Macon is in the southern zone where hunting over bait is legal.

docroc
docroc 04/10/12 - 08:57 am
He was not hunting... He was

He was not hunting... He was finding. Good job!

LLArms
LLArms 04/10/12 - 09:10 am
"But what do you think of him

"But what do you think of him leaving cans of gasoline outside to tempt people?"

Making the victim out to be the bad guy. Stay classy little lamb, good grief. I wonder how many people you act as an enabler for.

allhans
allhans 04/10/12 - 09:34 am
I am surprised at Little

I am surprised at Little Lamb....a thumbsdown.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/10/12 - 09:40 am
@Little Lamb "...........to

@Little Lamb

"...........to tempt people"??

"Temptation" is an imprecise word and it means different things to different people. To an honest man, the private property of another is NOT a temptation. Furthermore, to the dishonest man, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is a temptation. Knowing that you have a nice big screen TV inside your home is temptation to some. That's why they break in and try to steal it.

Temptation is not confined to what is visible outside. For some crooks, it extends to everything you own and sometimes to your identity and credit card numbers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 09:49 am
LL...you haven't been in thy

LL...you haven't been in thy nabors yard have you?? LOL (kidding withya)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 09:57 am
I am reminded of a joke in a

I am reminded of a joke in a Bill Kirby column a few months back:

A man bought a new washing machine, but his old one still worked halfway decently, so he thought someone less fortunate might need one. He put it on the curb with a sign that said, “Free if you haul it away.” The washing machine sat there for ten days or so. Then he decided to replace the sign with one that said, “For Sale, $50.” Someone stole it that very night.

docroc
docroc 04/10/12 - 10:59 am
LLArms - Every night I leave

LLArms - Every night I leave my car in my driveway as bait for wouldbe car thieves. Haven't caught one yet but I'm awaiting.

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/10/12 - 11:10 am
Have to admit that I am with

Have to admit that I am with the majority here. LL's comment doesn't seem to fit and it is obvious from the rest of your comments. LL don't get me wrong I always enjoy yours and Seenit's comments.

playlikethunder
playlikethunder 04/10/12 - 11:37 am
LittleLamb, where do you get

LittleLamb, where do you get the idea he left the cans of gas outside to "tempt" the man? I have cans of gas ,quarts of oil, a riding lawn mower and god only knows hoew many garden tools,etc. under a shed, but I am not "tempting" anyone.
This scuzz bucket is nothing more than a common thief, and I agree a can of water,wood alcohol,diesel,anything should have been left for the repeat offender.
Every day I peruse these comments and I am constantly amazed.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 11:57 am
You are safe to leave tools

You are safe to leave tools outside. No one will steal them because thieves don't want to work.

David Parker
David Parker 04/10/12 - 03:16 pm
Don't know bout yall but LL

Don't know bout yall but LL got two thumbs up from me. Lay off

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 03:20 pm
Thanks, David. Several were

Thanks, David. Several were laying into me this morning. I wonder if nine thumbs down is a record?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 03:24 pm
No...sweetness,....that is

No...sweetness,....that is not a record......but if ya want me to I will give you thumbs up for the rest of the day......don't want a pout from those sweet lips...:)

GaStang22
GaStang22 04/10/12 - 06:11 pm
Nice comeback witht he jokes

Nice comeback witht he jokes LL. lol I too was shocked at the first comment. You know you aren't going to get away easy with a comment victimizing and making excuses for a criminal lol

KSL
KSL 04/10/12 - 06:18 pm
Wow, playlikethunder, long

Wow, playlikethunder, long time no see. Where have you been?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/11/12 - 04:25 am
I didn't read all the

I didn't read all the comments, but how the heck is something on private property tempting anyone. How about stay the heck out of you neighbors yard unless invited. Seems to me a trespassing charge could be added. And you wonder why crime is going up? Well just keep making excuses for a common criminal and see how much more it goes up.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.