Masters patron charged in sand trap theft

Monday, April 9, 2012 11:32 AM
Last updated 2:39 PM

A 40-year-old Masters patron was arrested Sunday after, police said, he attempted to steal sand from the sand trap.

Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Gay said Clayton Price Baker, of Ohio, slipped under the ropes following the tournament and attempted to put the sand in his cup.

After a short foot chase by Augusta National security and sheriff’s deputies, Baker was apprehended and charged with disorderly conduct.

Gay said Baker, who was drinking heavily at the time of the incident, was unsuccessful at getting any of the sand in his cup.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 04:46 pm
OK so have him ejected from

OK so have him ejected from the course for breaking the rules.. just like people are ejected from theme parks for breaking rules. Did this have to become a police matter? And charge him with theft? Come on.. At most this is a DO charge.. not theft.. but the police and the courts shouldn't be involved at all.. the club could have had their men eject him from the course and put him on a blacklist to not be admitted in the future. Would that have been so hard? And why was this even a news story in the first place? I'm kinda getting tired of the local cult worship of The Augusta National.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 04/09/12 - 04:55 pm
I'm wondering what that

I'm wondering what that double eagle ball is gonna bring on ebay..........

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/09/12 - 04:57 pm
Again, he was not charged

Again, he was not charged with theft. He has a great story to tell the folks when he gets home to Ohio.

a different drum
a different drum 04/09/12 - 05:02 pm
Justthefacts -- thanks. The

Justthefacts -- thanks. The headline made it sound like he was charged with stealing sand. Now that I go back and read in detail I see he was charged with disorderly conduct. It appears there was no theft.

Bruno
Bruno 04/09/12 - 05:05 pm
How much freaking sand do you

How much freaking sand do you have to attempt to steal to get arrested?

a different drum
a different drum 04/09/12 - 05:11 pm
The Augusta National should

The Augusta National should complain to the Augusta Chronicle for a headline like that as it does not make the Augusta National look good at all. Especially with the other bad press they have gotten about out of town people being arrested for trying to buy or sell tickets.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/09/12 - 05:15 pm
Why didn't the most holy and

Why didn't the most holy and reverend Masters strike him down with say, a lightning bolt? Thou shalt not steal, right? They already have penalties for graven images; anything remotely relating to golf is copyrighted and pursued to the ends of the earth. No taking their name in vain, or your plane is grounded (the first time, anyway). Next year, the TSA begins security at the gates.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/09/12 - 05:16 pm
Those officers should be

Those officers should be fired for this eggregious waste of time. They should be searching for jimmy hoffa.

a different drum
a different drum 04/09/12 - 05:28 pm
Actually there is no telling

Actually there is no telling how much sand people take out of Augusta National in their shoes every year. Perhaps they should start doing shoe checks as people leave? (just kidding)

Frank I
Frank I 04/09/12 - 05:29 pm
Justthefacts: I believe the

Justthefacts: I believe the quote "following the tournament" is in reference meant to say that this event occurred post tournament, not while following along during tournament play from within the ropes.. so, this guy gets a disorderly conduct charge because he decided to try to go get a little sand out of the sand trap AFTER the tourney was over.. must be some dang special stuff they got there...

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/09/12 - 05:36 pm
Frank, I think you are right,

Frank, I think you are right, I misread that comment. So, I guess, by that reckoning, after the tourney, it's OK for 40/50K patrons to go wandering around the course taking whatever they please.

tckr1983
tckr1983 04/09/12 - 06:01 pm
Public drunkenness is under

Public drunkenness is under disorderly conduct... and I'm guessing in his state of consciousness while being apprehended there could be some other reasons for disorderly conduct as well towards the deputies/security involved.

I've been to the Masters 20 times or so... never once have I thought, "I'm going to take some sand out of that bunker inside the ropes". Probably because I've never been plastered while I was at the tournament, be responsible enough to have a few and not embarrass your kids, wife and family while enjoying the best golf tournament on Earth. Seems pretty easy to follow to me. They have cameras all over the place out there, on the entire property, even in the free parking area on Berckmans... just don't do it!

Haki
Haki 04/09/12 - 06:52 pm
Justthefacts, stick to the

Justthefacts, stick to the facts. He attempted to get one cup of sand. I've myself made a few visits and if public drunkness was enforced their would 40/50k VACATIONING patrons wandering to downtown detention. Bottom line is he did not stop when told and briefly ran. The question is should a possibly good, hard working, community involved, financially able family man have his name and face in the national news for this?

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/09/12 - 07:30 pm
If golf wasn't so boring,

If golf wasn't so boring, people wouldn't drink themselves silly.

If people didn't drink themselves silly, they wouldn't actually believe that Masters sand is worth attempting to steal.

Newsflash
1925
Newsflash 04/09/12 - 07:59 pm
I read this story only

I read this story only because I knew that in the comments section there would be some totally ignorant things said. I am not disappointed.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/09/12 - 08:13 pm
Oh well, since it is no big

Oh well, since it is no big deal I think I will cut a little chunk off the 2nd green next year to have a souvenier of the green history was made on. Better yet, drop the ropes and tell people to get an azalea cutting or two.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/09/12 - 08:34 pm
The two "sports" where

The two "sports" where drinking by "athletes" is commonplace during the competition: Golf and bowling.

Enough said.

Pu239
Pu239 04/09/12 - 09:19 pm
Another Harvard Graduate

Another Harvard Graduate posts at 1917.....fazool

Bruno
Bruno 04/09/12 - 09:21 pm
How drunk do you have to be

How drunk do you have to be to get arrested for being drunk at the Masters!?
Maybe he thought the sand was a giant pile of salt for his margarita.

II, don't forget curling.

allmostgone
allmostgone 04/10/12 - 05:34 am
What Idiots. Goes to show you

What Idiots. Goes to show you we have to many Police with nothing better to do. Wonder which fat Police chased him down?

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 04/10/12 - 08:13 am
I wonder what would happen if

I wonder what would happen if you tried to steal some grass?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 08:32 am
Don't even THINK about it

Don't even THINK about it shrimp...:):)

strib1
strib1 04/10/12 - 09:01 am
stay outside ropes... this

stay outside ropes... this mite be a little pickee but its the rule! would have just helped him out the gate... he knew better i think?

cletusspam
cletusspam 04/10/12 - 09:18 am
I've never been to the

I've never been to the Masters, but based on the comments posted it sounds as though quite a few 'patrons' end up intoxicated. Wouldn't this mean that Augusta National and/or their vendors are not doing the best of jobs when it comes to ensuring that their customers are not over served with alcohol?

tckr1983
tckr1983 04/10/12 - 10:05 am
It's no different than any

It's no different than any other sporting event, people (idiots) will get plastered, while adults will drink and have fun. However, this occurred after the tournament apparently and they stop serving beer at 5pm, so 3 hours or so after "last call". The guy snuck in his own supply, added it to his coca-cola's all day possibly or at least after 5pm and continued his own little party until he did something stupid...

TheTruthShallSetYouFree
TheTruthShallSetYouFree 04/10/12 - 11:58 am
I know this man. I know him

I know this man. I know him to be a hard working, family man, and I have never seen him "out of control".

A better representation of the story is: As he was making his way to one of the last holes, he decided to miss the crowds and move along some holes long since vacated by play. His son has infield dirt from a previous World Series and he thought he would get a little sand from the Masters for him. After doing so and walking quickly down the fairway towards the finishing holes, he was initially confronted about his cup of sand, which he readily admitted to having. They immediately took him into custody. He was accused of being drunk and he demanded a breathalizer test, which he passed. That's why he wasn't sited for public intoxication.

It's bad enough that he was taken into custody and arrested. It's so much worse for the situation to be portrayed the way that it has been, almost as though they've reported "trumped up" charges just to cover their backsides.

tjspliff
tjspliff 04/12/12 - 04:58 pm
This guy is a close friend of

This guy is a close friend of mine. First of all he only had three beers all day long. Second of all he didn't run from the cops. He was already at the next hole when four men approached him and told him that he was coming with them. It amazes how the media and the cops can farbicate some [filtered word] and make someone look like an [filtered word].