Masters patron charged in sand trap theft

Monday, April 9, 2012 11:32 AM
Last updated 2:39 PM

A 40-year-old Masters patron was arrested Sunday after, police said, he attempted to steal sand from the sand trap.

Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Gay said Clayton Price Baker, of Ohio, slipped under the ropes following the tournament and attempted to put the sand in his cup.

After a short foot chase by Augusta National security and sheriff’s deputies, Baker was apprehended and charged with disorderly conduct.

Gay said Baker, who was drinking heavily at the time of the incident, was unsuccessful at getting any of the sand in his cup.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/09/12 - 10:47 am
He should have settled for a

He should have settled for a few pieces of pine straw and perhaps some fallen leaves. This was for his "Augusta National Shrine" in his living room, right?

Sand is not essential. A few arboreal artifacts placed on a marble slab with lit candles on either side are quite sufficient for worship purposes.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 04/09/12 - 10:52 am
This guy should go into the

This guy should go into the Golfers Hall of Fame. I can see him at an AA meeting. I was drunk and tried to steal some bunker sand.

gutdawg
gutdawg 04/09/12 - 11:14 am
Another ticket that will be

Another ticket that will be used by someone else next year......I hope this was his own ticket.

Cdr4500
Cdr4500 04/09/12 - 11:51 am
What a waste of police

What a waste of police resources...

obkad
obkad 04/09/12 - 11:53 am
maybe he could use the sand

maybe he could use the sand to cover up the do-do he's in!!!!

owensjef3
owensjef3 04/09/12 - 11:56 am
Now thats power

Now thats power

my.voice
my.voice 04/09/12 - 12:23 pm
Fore!

Fore!

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/09/12 - 12:23 pm
It's sand. Welcome to the

It's sand.

Welcome to the Augusta National, land of the dumb.

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/09/12 - 12:26 pm
How many shootings,

How many shootings, robberies, assaults and burglaries went unsolved last week?

I feel safer knowing this guy is off the street.

How much money did it and will it take to chase him, arrest him, transport him to jail, book him, hold him, release him and now prosecute him?

Bubbagolf
Bubbagolf 04/09/12 - 12:34 pm
Arrested over sand? Are you

Arrested over sand? Are you kidding me? Better watch out when you go to the beach and get sand in your shorts!! That would be grand theft!!!

tckr1983
tckr1983 04/09/12 - 12:38 pm
I'm pretty sure the National

I'm pretty sure the National was footing the bill for the deputies and all security on the course... my brother who is a Richmond County deputy was on 13 and 14, it was a "special" all week. Not on the county dole in other words...

But considering the money the National brought to the Augusta area this week and the things they do for people throughout the year via charities/etc... My response to you is: "REALLY?!?"

my.voice
my.voice 04/09/12 - 12:40 pm
Then the stuff sticking to

Then the stuff sticking to the bottom of my shoes is going on eBay tonight!

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/09/12 - 12:52 pm
A guy getting arrested for

A guy getting arrested for attempting to steal sand must feel foolish.

The person who arrested a guy for attempting to steal sand must feel even more foolish.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/09/12 - 01:00 pm
Really was a waste of jail

Really was a waste of jail space.

tckr1983
tckr1983 04/09/12 - 01:13 pm
What are the ropes there for

What are the ropes there for Insider? You know, he knew, I know, everyone knows what they're there for... how bout public intoxication? Or eluding arrest?

It's amazing how many people are sticking up for this idiot... or at least willing to look the other way for stupidity to the "Nth degree". It's called common sense, what happened to it and what year did it vanish on this planet we call home?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/09/12 - 01:18 pm
I give him an 8 for

I give him an 8 for originality. After he pays his fine he can say, "Life's a beach."

Haki
Haki 04/09/12 - 01:32 pm
I appreciate Augusta National

I appreciate Augusta National just as many others, but an arrest record for this is ridiculous.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 04/09/12 - 01:47 pm
Maybe the National can sell

Maybe the National can sell sand in those little vials next year to keep another drunk from making a fool of himself. Goodness knows they sell just about everything else that a logo will fit onto...

tckr1983
tckr1983 04/09/12 - 01:55 pm
Hey... If he wasn't drunk and

Hey... If he wasn't drunk and hadn't RUN FROM AUTHORITIES... he may not have been charged with anything!

Of course, the best way to have stayed out of trouble and enjoy the tournament like the other 99.99% of patrons at the course is to not act like an idiot, get drunk, go somewhere you're not supposed to and then run from the cops... that's just me though. Dude got what he deserved.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/09/12 - 02:11 pm
Well, I'm just glad the

Well, I'm just glad the Augusta Chronicle was able to get the "dirt" on this guy! I heard he "soiled" his pants when the police caught him! What on "earth" was this guy thinking? Ummmmmmmmm.....................okay, that's all I got!

Insider Information
Insider Information 04/09/12 - 02:25 pm
I repeat. It's sand.

I repeat.

It's sand.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/09/12 - 02:49 pm
Run out onto Turner Field and

Run out onto Turner Field and grab a handful of dirt and see what happens.

David Parker
David Parker 04/09/12 - 03:01 pm
down the bottom of Berkman

down the bottom of Berkman there are billions of little pieces of Masters in that creek. Free even.

a different drum
a different drum 04/09/12 - 03:14 pm
I wonder what a cup of sand

I wonder what a cup of sand from the Masters is worth? (I am not talking about jail time.) I have never heard of anyone being arrested for steeling sand before. Personally, I think he should demand a jury trail. Did he actually leave the property with the sand? He only put the sand in a cup (for who know's what purpose?). He could have put the sand in the cup for a lot of reasons. He should not have went under the ropes, but to charge him as a thief?

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/09/12 - 03:20 pm
drummer, he wasn't charged

drummer, he wasn't charged with stealing sand. Disorderly conduct. Probably for running from the cops.

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 03:23 pm
a cup sand? Really?

a cup sand? Really?

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/09/12 - 03:24 pm
I once went to the tunamint

I once went to the tunamint and when I left has some dirt and grass stuck to the bottom of my shoes.. good thing the police didn't spot me.

Haki
Haki 04/09/12 - 03:27 pm
"folllowing the tournament!"

"folllowing the tournament!" is what the article reported. Not running on Turner Field. The locals posting here are so upset about it. Like I always say, people don't give a squat until things affect them. If this was Pebble Beach, yall would be scolding those ridiculous Californians.

Pu239
Pu239 04/09/12 - 03:35 pm
Maybe he should have went jet

Maybe he should have went jet wash surfing at Saint Maarten.....plenty of sand to be had there...

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/09/12 - 03:38 pm
You are not allowed to

You are not allowed to "follow the tournament" from inside the ropes. It compares to running onto Turner Field. Who's upset? Just commenting on the story.

Kettle donations rise in 2014