2 SC burglars shot, killed

SPARTANBURG, S.C. — Authorities say two men are dead after a man said he shot them as they tried to break into his Spartanburg County apartment.

Deputies say the man was returning home around 12:10 a.m. Saturday when he fired on the men.

Investigators say the gunshot victims were found behind air conditioners at the complex. Deputies say one had a ski mask on his head.

Authorities say 22-year-old Michael Gentry-Hill Jr. died at the scene and 18-year-old Darren Hill died a short time later at the hospital.

No charges have been filed, and deputies continue to investigate the shooting.

curly123053
curly123053 04/07/12 - 02:59 pm
This type of action needs to

This type of action needs to start happening to stop these hoodlums from feeling entitled to someone else's property.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/07/12 - 03:14 pm
This man may have

This man may have overstepped. The way I read it he came home and found them trying to break in, which likely means he shot them while they were still outside; plus, he may not have experienced any personal threat. As far as I know, you can't kill someone to protect personal property.
All conjecture of course.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 04/07/12 - 04:11 pm
Were the two " victims"

Were the two " victims" brothers, as they had the same last name? Sounds like there is more to the story than what was reported here. I hope to hear that the shooter was LEGALLY carrying his firearm.

happychimer
happychimer 04/07/12 - 04:43 pm
remember the man who shot

remember the man who shot that woman who was stealing items from his shed? He was protecting his personal property. remember the Fort Gordon soldier who returned home at lunchtime and caught someone outside stealing items from his home?

Gordon
Gordon 04/07/12 - 05:05 pm
walrus4ever
walrus4ever 04/07/12 - 05:27 pm
Dont look for this guy to get

Dont look for this guy to get a hassle from the Spartanburg Sheriffs dept over this. The Sheriff and solictors office are fed up with thugs and methheads robbing and assaulting decent citizens. Those criminals got just what they deserved and at no future cost to us SC taxpayers. Its a great day.

crackertroy
crackertroy 04/07/12 - 05:33 pm
The most important thing here

The most important thing here is not even mentioned in the article, what race was the shooter? What race were those who were shot? This is very important information when determining guilt.

jackrussell
jackrussell 04/07/12 - 05:49 pm
Good for the property owner.

Good for the property owner. If the burglars weren't burgling, they wouldn't be dead. Folks are tired of losing their hard earned assets to thieving scum. I've been burglarized twice. Trust me, if I'd had the opportunity, my burglar would have caught a bullet or two. And his skin color wouldn't have meant a thing. Matter of fact, mine was white. Got caught the second time he hit my house. His sentence was 17 years - 7 in prison, 10 on probation. He was out in 3 and I've yet to see one cent of the restitution he was ordered to make.

raul
raul 04/07/12 - 07:41 pm
@Jack. Did you go to court

@Jack. Did you go to court and inform the judge he wasn't paying up? If part of his condition of probation, you may be able to send him back to jail.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 04/07/12 - 07:53 pm
If you arent trying to rescue

If you arent trying to rescue a child from a burning building, getting caught trying to break into a house SHOULD get you shot....

raul
raul 04/07/12 - 08:27 pm
@Conservative Man. I like the

@Conservative Man. I like the way you think!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 04/07/12 - 09:13 pm
Neal Boortz calls this DRT,

Neal Boortz calls this DRT, dead right there.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/07/12 - 09:39 pm
jackrussell....I would SURE

jackrussell....I would SURE like to know why your burglar got a stiffer sentence than mine. One of the thieves didn't even do time. All he got was probation! Is there some kind of double standard in Augusta or what????

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/08/12 - 09:39 am
DRT sounds good to me also.

DRT sounds good to me also.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 04/08/12 - 03:27 pm
Patty-P, I sympathize. Most

Patty-P, I sympathize. Most likely the disparity rests in the prosecutor and judge colluding to give the felons yet another chance. Keeping them out of jail for their acts is a sure-fire way to prevent future crimes. Or so the 'justice' system will have you believe.

In my own experience there was one individual in McDuffie county who had his felonies pled down to misdemeanors four times; finally, when caught for the fifth time, the (same) judge sentenced him to probation under the First Offender Act (!). He left Georgia a few weeks later. Within six months he found himself in Texas where an unsympathetic judge threw his tender buttocks in jail for a four-year visit with all the mother-grabbers and father-stabbers for the same crime. Happy ending.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 04/08/12 - 11:35 am
Deputy: "Gee, Mister

Deputy: "Gee, Mister Homeowner, why'd you shoot him with a .45?"

Homeowner (reloading): "Because they don't make a .46."

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 04/08/12 - 02:19 pm
He will only have overstepped

He will only have overstepped if the perps were black and he is white.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/08/12 - 05:38 pm
dstewartsr...what's the deal

dstewartsr...what's the deal with the weak prosecutors in Augusta? A felony shouldn't get probation, especially theft in the magnitude of what was stolen from me.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 04/08/12 - 06:46 pm
My supposition is that the DA

My supposition is that the DA doesn't want to be a hardass and alienate the voters in this majority-minority community. The majority of the criminals belong to the majority population; this is why every criminal was on the way to or from choir practice or saving the whales. No one's going to vote for the guy who put his nephew in jail. And, face it, judges come from that selfsame spineless stock.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/08/12 - 07:05 pm
dstewartsr....I've always

dstewartsr....I've always kind of thought that was what was going on with the justice system in Augusta. There should, however, be something in the 'book' about minimum sentencing, etc. I knew I wasn't imagining things when I said I've never seen things like that happen in any other town. What you stated above sounds about right.

Germany wins World Cup

RIO DE JANEIRO - Mario Goetze volleyed in the winning goal in extra time to give Germany its fourth World Cup title with a 1-0 victory over Argentina on Sunday.