Obama believes Augusta National Golf Club should allow women to be members

Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:44 PM
Last updated 8:29 PM

WASHINGTON — A White House spokesman said President Barack Obama believes women should be admitted as members to the all-male Augusta National, home of the Masters golf tournament.

White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters Thursday that Obama’s “personal opinion is that women should be admitted” to the golf club. Carney said it was “up to the club to decide” but Obama told him he personally thinks women should be welcome.

“We’re kind of long past the time when women should be excluded from anything,” Carney said.

One of the club’s longtime sponsors, IBM, has a new female CEO, Virginia Rometty. The last four CEOs at IBM, all male, have been invited to be members.

The chairman of Augusta National this week has said the club will decide for itself whom to allow in its ranks.

Haki
Haki 04/05/12 - 12:53 pm
And....5.........4........3..

And....5.........4........3......2.....1..

john
john 04/05/12 - 01:00 pm
he just cant help himself.

he just cant help himself.

john
john 04/05/12 - 01:01 pm
People must still be out at

People must still be out at lunch Haki lol

copperhead
copperhead 04/05/12 - 01:03 pm
Does hussein believe that

Does hussein believe that non-blacks should be admitted into the black panthers? New or old?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/05/12 - 01:06 pm
Well, after the election,

Well, after the election, when President Obama has more flexibility, he will mandate female members.

Bruno
Bruno 04/05/12 - 01:11 pm
Why would anyone want to be

Why would anyone want to be part of a club that doesn't want them to be part of the club?

dorisday
dorisday 04/05/12 - 01:28 pm
Another reason NOT to vote

Another reason NOT to vote for this clown. Who cares who they let it and what his opinion is on the matter? It's a private club. I would not want to be part of any group that doesn't want me. I doubt Obama will ever be a member either, tho...and that's a good thing.

agrit
agrit 04/05/12 - 01:28 pm
Bruno, my thoughts exactly.

Bruno, my thoughts exactly. I am a woman and feel they should be allowed to invite who they want to invite as members. Geez, the things people get their panties in a wad over.

athome
athome 04/05/12 - 01:41 pm
As with children, you have to

As with children, you have to choose your battles. That might be one Obama doesn't want to fight! ('Cause he won't win)

raul
raul 04/05/12 - 01:44 pm
As the late, great, President

As the late, great, President Reagan used to say, "Well, there you go again!" President Obama just can't seem to stay away from issues that are inappropriate for presidential comment, e.g. Harvard professor Gates incident, remarks to the Supreme Court on Obamacare, Trayvon Martin, etc.

You guessed it...Frank Stallone
You guessed it...Frank Stallone 04/05/12 - 01:48 pm
My wife doesn't invite me to

My wife doesn't invite me to book club meetings or pedicure appointments with her friends. I don't invite her to play golf with my buddies. It keeps our relationship healthy. Let go of the political correctness people and we'll realize just how small of a deal this stuff is.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 04/05/12 - 01:52 pm
Who does Obama think the

Who does Obama think the Augusta National folks are -- the Supreme Court maybe?

raul
raul 04/05/12 - 01:52 pm
Gee, I've never been asked to

Gee, I've never been asked to join the Junior League!

homemedic
homemedic 04/05/12 - 02:05 pm
No one cares what obama

No one cares what obama believes. Hes supposed to be a christian and believes abortion is okay..and other that claim to be christian vote for him...Hell going to be full for sure...

LLArms
LLArms 04/05/12 - 02:27 pm
Obama do you think my

Obama do you think my daughter should be able to join the Boy Scouts?

john
john 04/05/12 - 02:28 pm
Maybe he can get Holder to

Maybe he can get Holder to sue the club.

raul
raul 04/05/12 - 02:31 pm
@john, Don't give him any

@john, Don't give him any ideas.

tanbaby
tanbaby 04/05/12 - 02:35 pm
do we really care that he

do we really care that he thinks women should be admitted to the national???? i know i don't....

david jennings
david jennings 04/05/12 - 02:36 pm
The man is trying to get

The man is trying to get reelected, give him a break.

redapples
redapples 04/05/12 - 02:42 pm
Shows just what a

Shows just what a self-centered President he is to think that his opinion counts for every issue. Private club. Period. Don't like it? Don't watch the Masters. Don't visit Augusta. Don't wear Masters clothing. Heck, quit golf!

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/05/12 - 02:43 pm
I don't remember anyone

I don't remember anyone asking him for his opinion. He just had to run his mouth to pander for the women's vote. It is a PRIVATE club.....HELLO.

Eleanor60
Eleanor60 04/05/12 - 03:06 pm
I agree with you completely,

I agree with you completely, Mr. President. But to be fair, the Augusta National IS a private club, with the perfect legal right to set its own membership policies.

And while we’re discussing such subjects, I would like to point out that several caucasian (and one Asian) legislators have tried to join the Congressional Black Caucus. They have a number of African-Americans in their districts, and they feel that being in the CBC would give them a greater insight to some of the concerns of African-Americans, which would help them better serve a big portion of their constituency. But the Congressional Black Caucus restricts its membership to Blacks-Only…even though some of the costs (meeting rooms, secretarial staff, light bills, etc.) are paid for by the government.

I'm sure you're not a hypocrite, Mr. President, and I think that your intervention on behalf of these non-Black congressmen and congresswomen…and your support for their inclusion into the group…would go a LONG way towards changing CBC policy.

How about it, Sir?

Shacklet
Shacklet 04/05/12 - 03:11 pm
"redapples" has it right.

"redapples" has it right. It's a private club! If Obama does not like it then he needs just go away, don't get mad, just go away and leave it alone.

raul
raul 04/05/12 - 03:12 pm
Nice one Eleanor.

Nice one Eleanor.

John Locke
John Locke 04/05/12 - 03:21 pm
So I guess Curves, the League

So I guess Curves, the League of Women Voters and the YWCA have to let men in too then. Alright by me. Oh wait, are they for women only? How horrible!!! Those sexist oppressors!! The man is a walking joke. He gets funnier everyday.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 04/05/12 - 03:37 pm
I am doubting that he will

I am doubting that he will ever be invited to visit the National....

specsta
specsta 04/05/12 - 04:27 pm
I agree that women should be

I agree that women should be admitted. It is the 21st century and those old geezers at the Augusta National need to come out of the 1950's and realize that it's a big, racially-diverse world out there.

They remind me of the Little Rascals' "He-Man Woman Haters" club. At least the Little Rascal's private club had black members.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 04/05/12 - 04:32 pm
I have two small words and a

I have two small words and a gesture for the idiot barry....can you guess what they are?

floridasun
floridasun 04/05/12 - 04:39 pm
Just to be fair ,USA Today is

Just to be fair ,USA Today is reporting that Mitt Romney has also stated that women should be admitted as members of Augusta National.
I agree with both President Obama and Mitt Romney, women should be admitted as members of Augusta National.
However since ANGC is a private club it is their decision to make

allhans
allhans 04/05/12 - 04:51 pm
So if I hear it from Obama,

So if I hear it from Obama, it must be so? Nope.

I don't know the logic behind the decision makers at the Masters, but who knows what goes on behind those doors?
Might not be fit for a lady.

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.