Man shoots leg leaving Savannah gun show

SAVANNAH, Ga. -- A man accidentally shot himself in the leg after leaving a gun show in downtown Savannah on Sunday afternoon.

“I don’t know if he was loading it, unloading it, cleaning it, but he was fiddling around with it and it went off,” said Savannah-Chatham police spokesman Julian Miller.

Police are still investigating the incident. Miller said the man, whose identity has not been released, was being treated for non life-threatening injuries.

This was the second time in 2012 a man has shot himself upon leaving a gun show in Savannah. On Feb. 5, Charles Lake of Rincon was exiting a gun show at the Savannah Civic Center when he discharged a round into his leg while re-loading a pistol he had bought at the show.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/02/12 - 06:43 am
Yikes....I would say some1

Yikes....I would say some1 needs some gun handling lessons....leg this time....what would he hit next time....omg....

Techfan
Techfan 04/02/12 - 08:41 am
It sounds like it might be a

It sounds like it might be a good idea to skip Savannah gun shows.

Common.sense
Common.sense 04/02/12 - 12:11 pm
I wish the media would stop

I wish the media would stop calling these incidents accidents. They are negligence. He pulled the trigger, the gun functioned as it was supposed to.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/02/12 - 12:35 pm
Why do they permit ammunition

LLArms
LLArms 04/02/12 - 12:53 pm
"Why do they permit

"Why do they permit ammunition in guns that are being bought/sold within a crowded area - it's a wonder no one has been killed!"

Why do they permit cars to be driven in crowded areas, like Washington Rd - its a wonder no one has been killed!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/02/12 - 01:17 pm
LLArms - I beg to differ -

LLArms - I beg to differ - you can drive a car - you can 'test drive' a car - do you 'test shoot' a gun while in the company of oodles of people??? You need to find another example my dear friend.

Common.sense
Common.sense 04/02/12 - 01:32 pm
Truly they do not permit

Truly they do not permit ammunition to be in guns at gun shows. All guns entering a gunshow must be unloaded and zip tied or secured by another means. They don't even want loaded magazines to be carried on someones person. The loading of guns in gunshows is strictly prohibited. If you had read the article you would see that the gun was loaded AFTER leaving the show.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/02/12 - 01:32 pm
Common sense - that proves

Common sense - that proves that I am not a gun expert, nor do I read the articles as closely as I should - thank you for clearing it up.

BlackJack7
BlackJack7 04/03/12 - 01:56 am
I'd like to hear what the NRA

I'd like to hear what the NRA gotta say about this!

Weekly crime map, database

Violent crimes for the past week included 102 assaults, four of which was classified as aggravated assaults. The most assaults in a single day, 22, occurred on Aug. 17.