Mega Millions jackpot now at $640 million

ATLANTA (AP) — Lottery officials say they are increasing the MegaMillions lottery jackpot to $640 million, raising what was already a world-record prize.

Kimberly Starks, a spokeswoman for the Georgia Lottery, said Friday the jackpot had increased. The jackpot had stood at $540 million before Friday’s announcement. The previous record jackpot was $390 million in 2007.

A drawing for the fortune is set for 11 p.m. Friday in Atlanta.

The odds of winning the jackpot had been set at about 1 in 176 million.

MegaMillions has drawn long lines of lottery players in stores in the 42 states plus Washington, D.C., and the Virgin Islands where tickets are sold. The world-record jackpot has also lured some residents to travel to other states to buy $1 tickets.

faithson
faithson 03/30/12 - 11:50 am
already plannin' my get

already plannin' my get away... gotta love the fantasy involved in superstition that keeps us gambling on something for nothing, an age old idea that somehow you can cheat 'the work needed to be done' to get where you want to be. Lady luck does fall at times upon man, but to have any rational expectation of Her is surreptitiousness, and should be recognized as such.

a different drum
a different drum 03/30/12 - 12:51 pm
The odds may not be in our

The odds may not be in our favor, but someone will win this jackpot.

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/30/12 - 01:27 pm
It's a lottery

It's a lottery frenzy......maybe I need to buy 1 ticket this time, I don't fool with the lottery much. I hate losing to bad to play on a regular basis, heck if I buy a scratch off I get mad if I don't at least win a free ticket.

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 03/30/12 - 01:48 pm
Stillamazed I am with you. I

Stillamazed I am with you. I have not purchased a lottery ticket since 1997 but I spent $10.00 the other day for this drawing.

If I win I will wait on the November elections to decide whether I will stay put or buy my own island.

a different drum
a different drum 03/30/12 - 03:11 pm
If no one wins the jackpot

If no one wins the jackpot tonight --can you imagine the size of the jackpot next week?

YeCats
YeCats 03/30/12 - 03:18 pm
You have a better chance of

You have a better chance of getting killed by a dog, 30xs over, than hitting this jackpot. Oh well, someones got to hit it.

If you and/or I ran these kind of games on the street, they would put us under the jail house.

smokeysbandit
smokeysbandit 03/30/12 - 04:08 pm
Yep! The rich keep getting

Yep! The rich keep getting richer! Can't believe the 1% have spent that much money on lotto tickets.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...