Police arrest man found sleeping on Fifth Street Bridge

Friday, March 23, 2012 7:44 AM
Last updated 7:46 AM

NORTH AUGUSTA -- A 37-year-old man was arrested for public drunkenness this morning after officers discovered him sleeping on the Fifth Street bridge.

According to an incident report, the man became “loud and belligerent” when officers attempted to wake him around 12:40 a.m.

James Glenn Mims III told officers he had been drinking in Augusta Thursday evening and became tired as he crossed the bridge so he decided to take a nap. Mims said he was homeless and traveling through on his way to North Carolina.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 03/23/12 - 08:03 am
is this news? public

is this news? public drunkenness for a homeless person. sleeping outdoors as a homeless person.
how gentle were the cops waking him up that he became "loud and belligerent"? think it's ever pleasant for him to be woken up?

fatboyhog
2082
fatboyhog 03/23/12 - 08:22 am
Shame on the police for

Shame on the police for waking this man up! For checking to make sure that he wasn't having a medical problem. For making sure that he wasn't injured. For protecting him from being robbed or run over. For checking to see if he was, in fact, intoxicated; possibly preventing him from waking up in a stupor and walking out into traffic.

BSNM, have you ever tried to wake up an unresponsive individual? Be they drunk, passed out, or due to medical condition? While I agree this is some silly "news", what would you have expected the officers to do? I think next time I encounter a passed out subject, I'll make sure to rub their back gently and whisper sweet words to them as they awaken from their slumber. And I'll get so close that when they wake up in a combative mode, I'll probably get injured.

The police. Danged if they do. Danged if they don't.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/23/12 - 08:34 am
He forgot the Merle Haggard

He forgot the Merle Haggard song. You're supposed to sleep under the bridge.

Under the Bridge

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/23/12 - 05:54 pm
Man, this thread was hot this

Man, this thread was hot this morning, with five posts in thiry minutes. Then it died. Was it my post that killed it? Go ahead and click on the You Tube link for a couple of great songs, one of which is on topic about homeless people living under bridges.

my.voice
my.voice 03/23/12 - 08:37 pm
I'm always ill when awoken at

I'm always ill when awoken at 12am too, bridge or no :)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 03/24/12 - 12:45 am
Methinks fatboyhog covered it

Methinks fatboyhog covered it very well. But once again I have to say..... HUH?!?!?!

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...