4 sought in North Augusta Publix theft

NORTH AUGUSTA -- Public safety officers are searching for four people who stole money from a Publix cash register Tuesday while distracting employees.

According to an incident report, the three woman and one man entered the grocery store at 334 E. Martintown Road around 7 a.m. wearing ball caps and dark sunglasses.

Two of the people approached a cashier and asked for change while the other two distracted nearby employees.

Police said the woman at the register was seen on surveillance video reaching into the register with both hands while the person with her distracted the cashier. According to the report, the group left the store with $520 from the register.

The four are being sought on charges of simple larceny.

my.voice
my.voice 03/21/12 - 06:51 am
Question is, who keeps that

Question is, who keeps that kind of loot in a register?

deadline
deadline 03/21/12 - 09:05 am
$520/4= $130 each? Could

$520/4= $130 each? Could have worked for 12 hrs instead.

happychimer
19384
happychimer 03/21/12 - 09:17 am
my.voice I use to be a

my.voice I use to be a grocery store cashier, and yes it was common to have that much cash in the drawer. Office workers did pickups when it got to a certain amount. Some people still use cash.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 03/21/12 - 10:35 am
OK, so when did Publix

OK, so when did Publix actually realize the money was GONE? When the cashier turned around after being distracted, he/she didn't notice that his/her cash drawer was a little...er........."empty" and call "stop thief"?? I imagine the ~$500 was mainly in 5s, 10s and 20s. That's quite a bit of paper.

In order to get away with this scam, the perps had to not only scoop the money, they also had to calmly walk out of the store before the alarm was raised. The cashier was totally asleep at the wheel or was in on this.

bdouglas
bdouglas 03/21/12 - 10:41 am
So $520 is a lot of money in

So $520 is a lot of money in a register? That sounds about average to me, though I've never worked retail. Always looks to be at least $250 or more in the drawer itself most times I'm out shopping, then anything bigger than a $50 gets put under the drawer. Doesn't seem far fetched to me at all.

Also, my guess is that it was the register away from the checkout lanes where people buy cigs, concert tickets and lottery tickets. Probably the one with the most cash if I had to guess.

my.voice
my.voice 03/21/12 - 11:09 am
@happy USED to be a cashier.

@happy USED to be a cashier. Credit cards are a more recent introduction into the Grocery store transactional marketplace and $520.00 is entirely too much to have visible, especially considering they could have 5 or more lanes open at once. It's easily twice the recommended amount. Its simply not a safe move.

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/21/12 - 12:51 pm
How about some photos? I know

How about some photos? I know the store has cameras on all their registers. It would certainly help in identifying the three women and one man.....

bdouglas
bdouglas 03/22/12 - 08:59 am
@my.voice: Again, I mention

@my.voice: Again, I mention the front 'customer service' area register where you buy concert tickets, cigs, lotto, etc. Lottery can only be purchased with cash. Seems entirely reasonable to me, especially if it was that register.