2 men still critical after Burke County wreck that killed 1 man

Two men remained in critical condition Sunday at Medical College of Georgia Hospital after a car crash that killed one passenger early Saturday morning, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Robert Taylor, 22, and David Jackson, 18, were taken to the hospital after an accident on McManus Road near Hephzibah around 1:30 a.m. Saturday.

Georgia State Trooper Chris Calhoun said a 2001 Pontiac Firebird was traveling east on McManus Road when it crossed both lanes and landed on its side against a tree.

Dustin Durham, 20, was in the back seat and was killed. Taylor and Jackson were both thrown from the vehicle. Calhoun said it appears that Taylor was the driver.

A fourth man, Michael Collins, 20, was treated and released.

Calhoun said investigators suspect alcohol was involved. The Specialized Collision Reconstruction Team has been called in to look into it further, he said.

Comments (5)

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/19/12 - 10:32 am

All under the legal age of

All under the legal age of drinking except for the driver. I pray for them and thier families especially the family who has lost a child.

roni davis
roni davis 03/19/12 - 11:39 am

OK FIRST OFF 2 OF MY FRIENDS

OK FIRST OFF 2 OF MY FRIENDS WERE IN THAT CAR ONE IS NOW DEAD AND ONE IS STILL IN ON LIFE SOPPORT. IDK WERE UR FROM BUT IN BURKE CO THERE IS NOTHIN TO DO SO EVERYBODY RIDE AROUND AND GETS DRUNK, IM NOT SAYIN IT OK I GOT TWO BOYS MYSELF, AND WOULD DIE IF ANYTHING HAPPEN TO THEM BUT DONT JUDGE US. WE HAVE OVER 30 CHURCHS HERE BUT THAT IT THERE ARE NOTHIN FOR THE YOUNG PPL TO DO HERE UNLESS WE WANT TO DRIVE TO A CLUB IN AUG OR STATESBORO BUT WE WILL STILL BE DRIVIN DRUNK HOME, ITS SAD WHAT HAPPEN EVRYONE IS HEARTBROKEN THIS IS A SMALL COMMUNITY THIS HAPPEN TO EVERYONE KNOWS EVERYONE BUT U JUDGING US DOES NOT HELP

Cdr4500
Cdr4500 03/19/12 - 12:38 pm

I don't care how crappy where

I don't care how crappy where you live is...that is not an excuse to operate a 2 ton vehicle and get drunk while doing it. Not only are you risking your life you are risking the lives of the drivers who are on the road with you. If you have to drink then STAY HOME and do it. Don't drink and drive! This 20 year old young man should still be here with his family right now and would be if someone's "boredom" hadn't gotten the best of them.

stillamazed
stillamazed 03/19/12 - 01:55 pm

Roni Davis, I feel sorry for

Roni Davis, I feel sorry for you, obviously you are still young and maybe don't know any better. Having nothing to do in a community is not an excuse for getting in a car drinking and you nor anyone else should be making excuses for it. I am from a very small town right here in Georgia and we had nothing to do either but we made our own entertainment and we watched each others backs. Because a designated driver was not there, one of your friends is dead and two others seriously injured. Don't blame others for seeing where the fault lies. Me and my friends drank underage back in the day but we were not in cars doing it, we were hanging out someplace as a group and took care of each other, I never lost a friend to DUI, never. Life is more than drinking and clubs. You will get that one day when you really grow up. Like I said before I will pray for them all especially the family who has lost a child.

according2me
according2me 03/21/12 - 01:23 pm

This is what's wrong with

This is what's wrong with todays youth. I can't believe the comment left by Roni Davis. Who says you have to drink at all? You don't have to drink to have a good time. If you are going to drink, make sure you have a DD. I pray for your two young boys, Roni.

countryboy11
countryboy11 03/23/12 - 02:22 pm

If you lived around this area

If you lived around this area you will see that this is a little town that there is nothing to do the only thing we have in our town is wal mart and a few other staore I don't think they were trying to do anything stupid they were just having fun and was trying to get to where going. Almost everyone in our town drinks nobody cares what you do a's long a's you don't mess with their belongings I was in a wreck about the same time at night and i was only 14 when I had my wreck I'm in the 10th grade and all these people talking trash needa chill and let this go yea someone got killed because of something that was childish but it's life things happen I just came from this crash site about an hour ago on the way to taylor brothers express I got out and seen trees down the only thing that came to my mind was god be with this family it's way worst that what you think a girl at school had pictures of this on her binder and it didn't look bad well guess again if you haven't seen it or our town then chill it's really sad that this young man had to loose his life to get talked bad about. God be with this family and the others that was in the wreck.

seriouslyrightnow
seriouslyrightnow 04/10/12 - 08:59 am

SERIOUSLY. This is portraying

SERIOUSLY. This is portraying Burke County in a terrible light! Ignorance is apparently running pretty high in the youth now a days.....Waynesboro is a very small town, however there are plenty of recreational activities to do that do not harm the life of yourself and others. Drinking underage, and "taking pills" as I saw it was quoted....WASTE OF YOUR YOUTH AND IGNORANT BEYOND ALL BELIEF. You kids are trying to act older by doing the most childish and irresponsible things. I pray for the mother who has lost her child because THAT is the tragedy here. I know Billy Taylor and I have on SEVERAL occasions been ENRAGED at his wreckless driving behavior, which is NOT a new occurance. He has no respect for authority and he has been wreckless for as long as I can remeber. He does not get a pity card from me because he is in the hospital, after carelessly KILLING a young boy. He has passed me countless times on Hwy 23 going at LEAST 90 mph, cutting out and cutting back in froont of me muchhh to close , a few times with a boat on the back of his truck! He needs to be charged, I hope to God he is charged. The boy is wreckless and anyone who has EVER known him knows that he has always acted this carelessly on the hwy. This is just ridiculous all together. CHILDREN: WHEN YOU ARE BORED...Do something PRODUCTIVE! BE SOMETHING! LEARN SOMETHING! DO SOMETHING OF IMPORTANCE! All of this boresom and drugs and underage drinking and underage sex and cursing and wearing your clothes baggy and taking pills that are in no way meant for your bodies and being useless in general has GOT TO STOP! And for the sake of your own humilty, please understand that I mean this is the most positive way, and it will not advance you at all to further embarass yourselves by ranting on this post. I mean it in the best way, but you kids need to make some changes, this could have, and should have been avoided.