Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man charged after dog dies during domestic dispute

Monday, March 12, 2012 12:55 PM
Last updated 11:42 PM

A 28-year-old Augusta man was jailed Saturday after a Chihuahua died during a domestic dispute.

According to an incident report, Roland Thomas, 28, was arguing with his girlfriend at a residence on Travis Road around 4 a.m. when he picked up a chair and threw it at her.

Police said the chair struck and killed the pet.

Thomas was booked on charges of cruelty to animals.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/12/12 - 01:20 pm
At 4 a.m. they could also

At 4 a.m. they could also throw in a disturbing the peace charge.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 03/12/12 - 01:30 pm
was he throwing the chair at

was he throwing the chair at his girlfriend or the dog? the dog part sounds like a freak accident. he was trying to be cruel to the girlfiend, if i'm reading the story right. what if he had been tossing a hammer to a friend and it accidently killed the chihuahua? would that be cruelty as well? what if he accidentally fell down the steps and killed the chihuahua?

MartinezCitizen
MartinezCitizen 03/12/12 - 01:34 pm
Are y'all serious? Ok...what

Are y'all serious? Ok...what if they called it reckless endangerment to animals? Would that make it better for you? The idiot threw a chair at his girlfriend with no regard to the tiny defenseless dog. His intent when he threw the chair was to cause bodily injury. You can't seriously compare that to tossing a hammer to a buddy or falling down the stairs.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/12/12 - 02:08 pm
Regardless of the charges, my

Regardless of the charges, my guess is the smartest, most loyal, most loving one of these three was the one that was killed. Poor little thing.

LLArms
LLArms 03/12/12 - 02:47 pm
"And how can the police say

"And how can the police say the animal's death was cruel? If the chair killed him quickly it would not necessarily be cruel."

I don't even know what to say to this...

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/12/12 - 02:49 pm
Exactly MartinezCitizen!! I

Exactly MartinezCitizen!! I can't believe those even had to be explained.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 03/12/12 - 03:04 pm
Here's the bottom line; you

Here's the bottom line; you show your behind and I get hurt; you get charged, whether I am a canine or a woman.

KSL
KSL 03/12/12 - 04:32 pm
The girlfriend needs to cut

The girlfriend needs to cut off her relationship with him before he kills her.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 03/12/12 - 04:42 pm
But, most won't KSL....out of

But, most won't KSL....out of neediness and because this type of behavior seems if not normal, at least familiar to them. I'm sure you saw a lot of this in social work.

corgimom
corgimom 03/12/12 - 06:34 pm
First it's the dog, next

First it's the dog, next it'll be her.

BSNM, they were arguing. He deliberately threw the chair at her as part of the argument. That is not the same as tossing a hammer to a friend, and I think you know the difference. One is done out of rage, the other doesn't have bad intent. And falling down the stairs is an accident.

Throwing a chair at someone during a heated argument is not an accident and isn't comparable in any way to someone accidentally falling down a flight of stairs.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 03/12/12 - 06:51 pm
I don't want to in any way

I don't want to in any way diminish what happened here or stir the pudding but it is sad that a Chihuahua has more value assigned to it than a fetus.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/12/12 - 06:52 pm
I'm really shocked there are

I'm really shocked there are this many different people responding to this article, but haven't posted a thing about the poor child fighting for her life in the other article. Not that this article isn't important because it involves a dog instead of a human, just curious as to why no comments on the other. Here is the link in case people just "didn't see it" :

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 03/12/12 - 09:27 pm
Yes, it is, n2s4it.

Yes, it is, n2s4it.

KSL
KSL 03/12/12 - 09:34 pm
So show us where any

So show us where any comparison is being made. Seems you are doing the assuming. We are not comparing. Just expressing opinions about this topic.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 03/12/12 - 10:42 pm
I think they were speaking in

I think they were speaking in general, KSL

specsta
specsta 03/13/12 - 01:29 am
The "cruelty to animals"

The "cruelty to animals" charge seems like a bit of a stretch to me...if we are getting all of the facts in this article, it seems more like an accident.

Jane18
Jane18 03/13/12 - 11:54 am
I am sitting here imagining

I am sitting here imagining at the force that chair was thrown..........I am truly sorry about the little pet, but, that woman(and ole' Roland) need to realize what could have happened to her, had a part of the chair hit a very susceptible area of her body, especially her head!! I would say this is not the first "time" for this couple..................

ripjones256
ripjones256 03/13/12 - 12:01 pm
The "girlfriend" may have

The "girlfriend" may have said, "I love him". So, the cops could at least make a case of animal cruelty. Got him out of the house for the night. The sad thing, is that she ( I question her mental faculties), will probably take him back. Just watch an episode of Cops. The opposite sex can be so stupid. Men or women. Guys can get beat up too. The dog was probably staying with the girl, thinking that it was trying to protect its momma.

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/13/12 - 12:21 pm
Article says that he threw it

Article says that he threw it at her. So the charge should be 'Simple Battery; Attempt' or 'Aggravated Assualt; Attempt.' Both charges should be considered because he intended to harm the woman. Add the curelty on if you want to. Don't get me wrong I might hurt you if you mess with my dog!

wildberry
wildberry 03/13/12 - 01:05 pm
THIS MAN WILL MOST LIKELY GET

THIS MAN WILL MOST LIKELY GET A LIFE SENTENCE FOR KILLING THAT POOR DOG.....

wildberry
wildberry 03/13/12 - 01:13 pm
SINCE WHEN CAN YOU COMPARE A

SINCE WHEN CAN YOU COMPARE A DOG WITH A HUMAN FETUS? I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST ANIMALS BUT PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK TO MY STOMACH PUTTING ANIMALS AHEAD OF HUMANS!!!!!