Truck strikes, kills deaf child, 3, on Burke road

Thursday, March 8, 2012 11:15 AM
Last updated 1:10 PM

A 3-year-old deaf child died this morning after she ran into the highway in Burke County.

According to the Georgia State Patrol Sgt. 1st Class Chris Lacienski, the child was playing about 9:30 a.m. with another child in her front yard when she darted across the 400 block of Georgia Highway 56 North near the Church of God.

The child was returning across the highway when she was struck by a log truck. The child died at the scene. She was not publicly identified.

“The driver didn’t have time to react,” Lacienski said.

A Burke County sheriff’s deputy behind the logging truck witnessed the incident. The log truck driver was issued some equipment charges but was not charged in the death.

Lacienski said the charges had no effect on the fatality.

Magpie
Magpie 03/08/12 - 03:01 pm
Sad, sad, sad

Sad, sad, sad

allhans
allhans 03/08/12 - 03:11 pm
Dreadful...

Dreadful...

Retired Army
Retired Army 03/08/12 - 03:25 pm
Dear God, so very sad.

Dear God, so very sad. Prayers for all involved.

david jennings
david jennings 03/08/12 - 05:27 pm
Heartbreaking story for all

Heartbreaking story for all involved, I will be saying a prayer for all. what a world of hurt they must be going through.

urright
urright 03/08/12 - 05:30 pm
tanbaby--children run from

tanbaby--children run from parents. Mine hear and don't stop. Even if the child is within 10 feet, if they get a running start, a parent may not catch them. Let's not blame anyone, they are going to have a hard enough time getting through witnessing the death of a child. We'll pray for all involved.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/08/12 - 08:19 pm
Yes, these are the situations

Yes, these are the situations when you have to refrain from stating your opinion on the circumstances of the tragic event. It's one of those deals where there is an elephant in the room and nobody wants to talk about it. Well, in a case like this, people don't need to talk about it. Very, very tragic loss. I am so sorry.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 03/08/12 - 11:13 pm
I'm with urright, I've got

I'm with urright, I've got one that's almost that age and it's heartbreaking to hear about something like this, because you can imagine reacting to it if it happened to you. That's a rebellious age (mainly because they discover they can finally take action beyond arguing with you), and the challenge is compounded when they get to be pretty mobile. Prayers for the family and the truck driver.

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 03/08/12 - 11:43 pm
Conner, if you guys get a

Conner, if you guys get a copy of the report, I think that you will find that this is not a case of a child running from parents. I will leave it at that.

cozzster
cozzster 03/09/12 - 02:51 am
I agree with the parenting

I agree with the parenting comments...this was 100% preventable

saltine
saltine 03/09/12 - 06:16 am
heart-breaking for all

heart-breaking for all involved

corgimom
corgimom 03/09/12 - 06:36 am
My condolences and prayers to

My condolences and prayers to all that were involved.

tanbaby
tanbaby 03/09/12 - 05:15 pm
it's amazing that everyone is

it's amazing that everyone is saying the same thing that i said, but my post was removed....go figure...

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 03/09/12 - 06:44 pm
...

...

8 horses loose on I-20

Eight horses that got loose from a nearby pasture and briefly wandered along Interstate 20 were safely rounded up Monday afternoon.