Ex-wife of Augusta attorney surrenders to authorities

Thursday, March 8, 2012 9:21 AM
Last updated 9:27 AM

The ex-wife of an Augusta attorney surrendered to Richmond County authorities early this morning to be booked on rape charges, sheriff’s officials said.

Caroline Neal  Richmond County Jail photo
Richmond County Jail photo
Caroline Neal

Caroline Caldwell Neal, 23, is in a holding cell at the Richmond County Jail awaiting an afternoon bond hearing before a Superior Court judge, said her attorney Pete Theodocion.

Theodocion said Neal turned herself in to investigators at about 4:30 a.m. today, after returning from Greenville, S.C., where she lives since her divorce from Joseph Neal Jr.

The Neals were indicted Tuesday on charges of rape and providing alcohol to a person under 21 in connection with a Dec. 16 incident at their Kings Way home.

Authorities allege the Neals had “carnal knowledge” of an 18-year-old woman against her will after plying her with alcohol and marijuana.

Joseph Neal Jr. was arrested Tuesday and has been in custody since that time awaiting a bond hearing.

Theodocion said he will ask the judge to set a reasonable bond for his client because she should not be considered a threat to the community, but he doesn’t plan to present a defense to the charges.

“We will not attempt to try the case today in a bond hearing,” he said.

skeptic griggsy
skeptic griggsy 03/08/12 - 10:33 am
Ms.Neal should realize that

Ms.Neal should realize that doing wrong to others reveals her need to refine her moral sense. She wouldn't want others to rape her.And her ex has the same problem. Is her boyfriend any better?
What losers, those two Neals!

CarlA
CarlA 03/08/12 - 11:39 am
That is the face of a scared

That is the face of a scared little girl! So young and has her whole life in front of her. 23 years old a domestic violence and rape charge hanging over her head. Tragic.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/08/12 - 11:50 am
Is it relevant to ask who is

Is it relevant to ask who is taking care of the son?

draksig
draksig 03/08/12 - 11:54 am
I'm sure that her defense in

I'm sure that her defense in the trial will be her ex forced her into it with threats of violence, they will try to show her as another victim of a manipulative man. With their age difference that will probably be enough for reasonable doubt.

Bonk
Bonk 03/08/12 - 11:56 am
Is this Theodocion guy any

Is this Theodocion guy any good?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/08/12 - 12:00 pm
He loses almost all of his

He loses almost all of his cases. But, then again, most of them really did it.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/08/12 - 12:09 pm
Theodocian is the best in

Theodocian is the best in town since Mike Garrett "retired"...but he can't help the quality of client that walks through his door. Can't make chicken salad out of chicken poop.

wildberry
wildberry 03/08/12 - 12:32 pm
THERE IS SOME SICK PEOPLE IN

THERE IS SOME SICK PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD.... THEY NEED HELP
REALLY BAD!!!! SO , I WILL PRAY FOR THEM.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/08/12 - 12:34 pm
The son is not her son but

The son is not her son but his son by a previous marriage, presumably in his mother's custody now while Papa languishes in the slammer.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/08/12 - 12:42 pm
@draksig... "With their age

@draksig... "With their age difference that will probably be enough for reasonable doubt." I think it will be enough for the Truth.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/08/12 - 12:43 pm
I agree with CarlA @ 10:39

I agree with CarlA @ 10:39 a.m.

Dixie, you seem to be enjoying this a lot; makes it sound a little personal to you.

bjphysics
bjphysics 03/08/12 - 01:05 pm
Dixieman, the problem with

Dixieman, the problem with these threads is there is too much “Adult Supervision” around.

impossible
impossible 03/08/12 - 01:49 pm
What a relief that no one

What a relief that no one hearein has offended the sensibilities of the AC watchdfog by mentioning s_ _ n.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/08/12 - 02:01 pm
Dixie, what a great "role

Dixie, what a great "role model" for those kids of yours in "private school."

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 03/08/12 - 02:23 pm
@Dixieman: I think this is

@Dixieman:

I think this is just made for one of those tabloid, "Tru TV" or Investigative ID channel specials..........."When Lawyers Go Wild..........."

I can see it now!

*James Earl Jones voice-over*.............

"Augusta, Georgia.........with it's perfectly manicured golf-courses (pan to footage of the azaleas and crowds on #18 on Sunday of the Masters), white picket fences and perfectly manicured gardens. They call it "the Garden City".......but in this pristine east Georgia town, all may not be as it seems.................

"You see, up on "The Hill", home to Augusta's aristocracy....(pan to footage of good ol' boys staggering out of Sheehan's, drunk).........

Something along those lines would be good, I think!!

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/08/12 - 04:06 pm
Willow B -Okay I am just a

Willow B -Okay I am just a crazed frat boy comedian. This place is where I can cut loose and rip it up some. Keeps me sane and calm the rest of the time.
How 'bout paying attention to what I say, not who I am?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/08/12 - 05:31 pm
Dixie, first you point out

Dixie, first you point out the " paparazzi locusts" and then you finish off with saying " this is going to be the story of the year"! Folks like YOU are who those paparazzi locusts are writing for! LOL! This chick will get off (pardon the bad choice of words) with just a slap on the wrist. She's too young to really know better. I mean, she's obviously been around Neal too long. Now HE will get in some trouble because he SHOULD know better. Well, that is in case the judge doesn't consider him one of his own....and I mean,uh, I mean a lawyer.

aug.ga
aug.ga 03/08/12 - 05:40 pm
Mike Garrett is not retired.

Mike Garrett is not retired. He got a not guilty verdict in a jury trial on arson charges several months ago in Burke County.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/08/12 - 08:08 pm
What we say is who we are,

What we say is who we are, Dixie, but at least you owned your "badness":)

KSL
KSL 03/08/12 - 08:17 pm
Well, Willow, you have to

Well, Willow, you have to admit that it's pretty bizarre behavior for an attorney, an officer of the court. But then, I'm old fashioned and the attorneys in my family were quite well behaved. This guy's hero must have been Billboy Clinton. What was it that Hillary's brigade of Bill watchers in the White House called?

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/08/12 - 09:30 pm
Yes, KSL, bizarre behavior

Yes, KSL, bizarre behavior for anyone...I just think it's not a joke to the victim, her family or the Neal couple's families, and the two children. Dix, was having way too much fun at their expense, imho. He finished honestly, though, so I give him credit for that.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 03/08/12 - 09:31 pm
And you are right too, about

And you are right too, about Clinton; his talents just keep on giving.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/08/12 - 09:43 pm
The more attention given to

The more attention given to this the less the Fry sentence is examined. A smart attorney for those involved in the Fry bribe attempt sentencing would divert attention here.

KSL
KSL 03/08/12 - 10:16 pm
River, I know you have

River, I know you have checked and you know plenty of attention is being given to the Fry incident. I don't have an opinion about the bribery issue. I do have an opinion about this issue and the issue of the middle schoolers dry humping classmates. People have allegedly been bribing officials for centuries. Not in my lifetime have these incidents been so prominent. I choose to pick my battles wisely.

omnomnom
omnomnom 03/09/12 - 03:34 am
oooooooooooh man. dry humping

oooooooooooh man. dry humping > bribery. I'd wager people have been dry humping others for centuries as well. yeeeeeeeeesh.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/09/12 - 07:30 am
When I said Mike Garrett

When I said Mike Garrett "retired", there was a reason I put it in parentheses. No...he has not totally stepped away, but he seems to have given up the high profile cases he used to hit at the rate of about two a year.
Glad to know he is doing well...he is one of the best to ever work around here.

Retired Army
Retired Army 03/09/12 - 08:34 am
The "children" got away with

The "children" got away with the outrageous remarks on this thread because Sean seems to be out of the office this week. Either that, or he has washed his hands of us.

micbare
micbare 03/09/12 - 09:25 am
Free Joe Neal Jr. Now !!!!!!!

Free Joe Neal Jr. Now !!!!!!!