Also Saturday, the Medals for Miles Fun Run will begin at Enterprise Mill at 4 p.m. Open to children in grades K-5, the Medals for Miles program encourages children to run or walk 12 miles on their own before completing the final 1.1-miles as a group during the fun run. There is no cost to participate, but online registration is required and available at AugustaHalf.org.
The main event of the weekend, the 13.1 mile race, will be held at 8 a.m. Sunday and will begin and end at Enterprise Mill. The route will loop through downtown Augusta and that the majority of the course, more than 10 miles, is either flat or downhill.
More than 1,000 runners have signed up, and participants can register through Saturday. The cost is $75.
The Augusta Sports Council said traffic control will be managed by the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. Motorists are encouraged to use caution and be aware of road closures or slowdowns due to race activities.
ROADS AFFECTED BY THE AUGUSTA HALF MARATHON
For the safety of runners, traffic on portions of the route will be slowed, re-directed or closed to traffic to allow runners to pass Sunday:
• Greene Street, Eastbound lane from 15th Street to 13th Street: Closed from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
• St. Sebastian Way, Northbound lane from Greene Street to Broad Street: Closed from 7:30 a.m. to 8:15 a.m.
• Broad Street, Eastbound lane from St. Sebastian Way to 8th Street: Closed from 7:50 a.m. to 8:15 a.m.
• Greene Street, Westbound lane from 8th Street to St. Sebastian Way: Closed from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
• St. Sebastian Way, Southbound right lane from Greene Street to Walton Way: Closed from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.
• Walton Way, Westbound right lane from 13th Street to Highland Avenue: Closed from 8 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
• Highland Avenue/Berckmans Road, Northbound lane: Closed from 8:15 a.m. to 10 a.m.
• Washington Road, Eastbound right lane from Berckmans Road to Calhoun Expressway: Closed from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
• Lake Course Drive-Broad Street Exit Ra.m.p: Closed from 8:20 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Broad Street, Westbound right lane from Lake Course Drive to Lakemont Drive: Closed from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Lakemont Drive-Broad Street to Milledge Road: Closed from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Lake Olmstead Park: Runners inside the park from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Broad Street, Eastbound right lane from Milledge Road to Greene Street: Closed from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
• Greene Street, Eastbound lanes from Riverwatch Parkway to St. Sebastian Way: Closed from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
For more information, please contact the Augusta Sports Council at (706) 722-8326 or visit www.AugustaHalf.org.