Mayor to speak at arts forum

A strategic plan for the next five years of the Georgia Council for the Arts will be discussed Tuesday at a community forum. Mayor Deke Copenhaver will begin the forum with an overview of the arts in Augusta.

Input is invited from representatives of Augusta arts organizations and any individuals interested in the arts. This will be the fourth in a statewide series launched in October by Georgia Governor Nathen Deal.

The forum starts at 10 a.m. in the first floor auditorium at the Morris Museum of Art, 1 Tenth Street. The event will last between 90 minutes and 2 hours.

David Parker
David Parker 02/06/12 - 02:41 pm
love this

love this

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/06/12 - 04:18 pm
How do they know how long the

How do they know how long the meeting will last when they are inviting input from the public?

David Parker
David Parker 02/06/12 - 05:20 pm
timer nazis

timer nazis

tckr1983
tckr1983 02/06/12 - 06:41 pm
7 homicides already this

7 homicides already this year... and counting.

"I know what I'll do, I'll speak at this upcoming arts forum whatchamuhcallit!" (Self high-five)

Something tells me the word priorities is seldom said/used/followed with the leadership in this city...

specsta
specsta 02/06/12 - 08:21 pm
I think that support of the

I think that support of the arts is just as important as the protection of citizens. Everything has its place. The arts culture is the lifeblood of any city, and Augusta has too little of that culture.

This city has lost incredible amounts of talent to other cities because there is such mediocre support for artists. There is no sense of community, no strong bond that advances the arts here. And it's completely shameful.

The talent is here, but it is mostly ignored and under-developed. Every weekend (and most weeknights) in this city should be filled with theatrical plays, fashion shows, music performances, new gallery exhibitions, book and poetry reading, street performances, photo shoots, etc. The talent is HERE - but not encouraged, financed or promoted. Sure, there are small events here and there - but there needs to be consistent art activities and presentations - and the artists need to be paid for their work.

Yes, PAID for their work. The mentality that artists should work for free must be changed.

Instead, Augusta's idea of "art" is rodeos, circuses, and the occasional music group. These are folks traveling through - not our local talent. Why is that?

Where is Augusta's High Museum? It's Guggenheim? It's Broadway theaters? It's Fashion Week? It's Ford Models? It's Blue Note? It's Philharmonic? Where??? With all due respect to the small artist associations/groups struggling here, the bar has to be raised to next level of excellence.

There has to be more to Augusta than processing plants, nuclear waste dumps, a golf course and the medical school. There has to be an arts community that fills the need of Augusta's citizens to experience life - through the arts.

Until that time comes, Augusta will remain a third-tier city, scraping by for recognition beyond it's borders.

Riverman1
82076
Riverman1 02/06/12 - 09:01 pm
Specsta, do those models wear

Specsta, do those models wear clothes?

tckr1983
tckr1983 02/06/12 - 09:02 pm
It's just bad timing IMO.

It's just bad timing IMO. He's got the parking deck fiasco going on as well...

If you really want to change Augusta... fix the schools and watch that spill over everywhere else.

Pu239
Pu239 02/06/12 - 09:48 pm
I believe that investment in

I believe that investment in and support of our firefighters and law enforcement easily trumps investment in the arts. BTW... nice jab at the processing plants, nuclear waste dumps, golf courses, and medical schools that most likely provide greater than 90% of the funding for your precious "arts". Augusta's High Museum...now that's a good one...(eyeroll)

specsta
specsta 02/06/12 - 10:05 pm
Pu239 - Firefighters and law

Pu239 - Firefighters and law enforcement folk are important, but 100% safety isn't everything. We could be the safest, most fire-proof city in America - and then what? You could wrap yourself in a bulletproof cocoon and be safe, but you would have no life. Art is what brings enrichment to our souls.

KSL
KSL 02/06/12 - 10:06 pm
Spestra, ever been on budget

Spestra, ever been on budget during tough times and reduced income? Didn't think so.

KSL
KSL 02/06/12 - 10:23 pm
And your point is not the

And your point is not the point. Someone has to be able to afford the finer points of life. I'll opt for protection first. And aren't you one of those who want to tax the rich more? Those very same people who contribute to artistic endevors without government mandate.
So we are supposed to turn over the decision of what art is to the government? Kind of reminds me of living under the soviets. They chose the art that was to be exposed to the population. I assume that like me, you studied that in college.

Riverman1
82076
Riverman1 02/06/12 - 10:22 pm
I didn't quite get Specsta's

I didn't quite get Specsta's complaint either. What do art institutions in major cities have to do with the art in a city our size? Augusta does have much to offer. You don't go in a school library and talk about the time you went to The Library of Congress.

KSL
KSL 02/06/12 - 10:25 pm
Correction, specsta.

Correction, specsta.

specsta
specsta 02/07/12 - 12:30 am
Riverman1 wrote: "What do art

Riverman1 wrote: "What do art institutions in major cities have to do with the art in a city our size?"

That's the whole point. Why does Augusta have to settle for mediocrity in the arts? Why can't we be a world-class city in the arts realm?

We certainly excel in the number of murders. New York City has a population of 8 million - and 26 murders so far in 2012. Augusta has a population of 200,000 - and 7 murders so far in 2012. Do the math. If this city can "excel" in the number of murders for a city of its size, it certainly can attempt to excel in something positive - like the arts.

countyman
19698
countyman 02/07/12 - 03:15 am
To be fair even with the

To be fair even with the amount of homicides plenty of cities have a higher murder rate so far this year. While seven is alot of homicides so far this year, three were the cause of domestic violence.. Augusta can go a whole month without one, and things can change very quickly.. Just to be clear Augusta is much safer than the majority of cities across the US..

Augusta 415.1
Savannah 428.5
Macon 440.3
Durham 442.7
Greensboro 479.2
Winston Salem 510.6
Columbus 521.5
Chattanooga 589.9
Charleston 616.3
Baton Rouge 697.3
Columbia 760.9
Tallahassee 766.8

I do agree with Specsta's overall point about the arts.. Plenty of cities in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, etc with low crimes and nothing else.. Usually people move to cities due to jobs opportunities , and not the local crime rates..

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/12 - 07:02 am

Are we too tough on specsta.......we can have arts/museums/crafts.....we just need to clean the riffraff off the streets...visit some small North Ga towns & you might be surprised how SAFE-CLEAN & appealing they are....

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/07/12 - 07:52 am

Maybe this is what countyman had in mind.....crime is almost zilch in this town......when the $$$ aren't going for JAILS you can put it on nice theeeengs like this...:)

David Parker
David Parker 02/07/12 - 08:08 am
Lay off my arts. Why is the

Lay off my arts. Why is the mention of the mayor just a call to arms for all those who don't like him? I don't remember reading anything about sacrificing time, money, or resources and using it instead to promote the art community in Augusta. TO all you art-grinches, there will be ample opportunity for you to pick on and thrash any city effort toward embracing our artists in the future. THis was simply a forum to grab ideas and talk about ones already on the table. Getting so combative toward the development of simple ideas before they are even uttered? I don't know what you call it but someone mentioned Soviet Russia. Censorship is one of the tools employed under Stalin and objecting to the mention of art is a dangerous decision, one which I hope all can step back and realize there is merit in discussing its place in Augusta. Regardless that it's Deke who is discussing it.

Riverman1
82076
Riverman1 02/07/12 - 08:18 am
Dave, I'm certainly not an

Dave, I'm certainly not an art grinch, but why downplay Augusta's art effort? I've entered contests sponsored by the Morris Museum which draws contestants from all over the South. We give artists tax breaks for locating in the art area downtown. We have people contributing mega bucks to renovate local theaters. We have Westobou.

Specsta makes the mistake of saying we are a minor league city when others are major league. You have to realize some cities simply aren't big enough to have major league art institutions that probably cost more than the entire budget of Augusta.

Any wall murals around here have bullet holes in them.

Riverman1
82076
Riverman1 02/07/12 - 08:25 am
I glanced at Countyman's

I glanced at Countyman's link. What I noticed from looking at the A's. Albany, Athens, Atlanta and Augusta in Georgia is that Augusta has by far the highest murder rate. That's one statistic it's hard to jimmy. You are either dead or not.

David Parker
David Parker 02/07/12 - 09:31 am
River, if you are saying

River, if you are saying Augusta is doing plenty toward promoting the art/culture here, then it's just a matter of difference in degrees. What I was reading above in the comments, was alot of venom toward the mayor for spending however long the forum lasts talking about ideas to promote art / culture. I love that there is some growth. Artist's Row was not around when I was a wee lad. I went to SCAD in '89 and saw how it grabbed that city and just grew from there. It is a success story and I'd like my hometown to use that example to come up with it's own ideas on developing talent and showcasing it. It's not downplaying, it's pushing it to, excuse the cliche, be all it can be.

Bruno
Bruno 02/07/12 - 09:32 am
If I had one piece of advice

If I had one piece of advice to Augusta concerning creating a vibrant arts scene it would be to pick one area to cultivate the development of galleries and small coffee/restaurants. If you visit Atlanta and wish to see a great deal of art you have to drive to the High, Castleberry Hill, West Side, and then to the numerous smaller galleries peppered all over the city. You could provide something akin to a small business incubator for the arts and that would help getting the individual artists off the ground. Grants are usually frittered away on one or two projects. I would also tie the small business incubator to teaching artists how to be business people. That is something that is missing in art instruction at all levels.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/07/12 - 09:43 am
specsta wrote: . . . and the

specsta wrote:

. . . and the artists need to be paid for their work.

That is between the artist and the potential buyer. A fair price can be negotiated. Let's not get city government involved in that kind of commerce.

David Parker
David Parker 02/07/12 - 10:04 am
I agree with both Lamb and

I agree with both Lamb and Bruno. The size of downtown is small but still, if their is a sector that is known as the scene for artists, it just makes more sense altogether. specsta hit the nail on the head, just to be clear though, the city should look fondly on buyer / seller commerce, not be involved in coordinating either one.

Not to limit anything either. If the city sees it appropriate to buy or commission art and artists for public enjoyment, etc. all the better.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/07/12 - 11:02 am
The meeting is underway. I'm

The meeting is underway. I'm sure it is getting exciting, with the mayor and all.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/07/12 - 11:05 am
I hope they didn't invite

I hope they didn't invite Fred (What, me worry?) Russell to the meeting. He would propose a $50 million performing arts theatre at the GGHoF property to be on the next SPLOST ballot. Another big building to pad his resumé.

David Parker
David Parker 02/07/12 - 11:10 am
Fred doesn't strike me as a

Fred doesn't strike me as a connoisseur so yeah, keep him outta there so as not to cause unnecessary focus. Not that his tastes aren't exquisite, they may very well be. But he's got enough bean bags in the air right now anyway.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/07/12 - 11:27 am
Oh no, I thought of something

Oh no, I thought of something worse. Fred might propose that the city buy the air rights to the Morris Museum of Art and start paying Morris to run his own museum!

countyman
19698
countyman 02/07/12 - 01:32 pm
The murder rate is still

The murder rate is still lower than Macon, Brunswick, etc..

Check out how Augusta's violent crime rate is lower than Atlanta, Macon, Savannah, Columbus, Brunswick, etc in Georgia..

Homicide victim's are usually involved in drugs, gangs, or the street life.. While average citizens become victims of rapes, armed robberies, etc...

countyman
19698
countyman 02/07/12 - 02:04 pm
The murals on Wrightsboro rd

The murals on Wrightsboro rd near Daniel Village have bullet holes?? Riverman must take a jab at Richmond County atleast five times a week..