Health Care

More | | | Editor

Burns occur often for children

Monday, Feb. 6, 2012 5:11 PM
Last updated Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012 11:10 AM
  • Follow Latest News

It doesn’t shock Monifa Sewell that her 9-year-old son, Malachi, would tip over the stove while climbing on it to reach the top of the refrigerator, scalding himself with a pot of water across his lower back and buttocks.

Malachi Sewell, 9, of Johnston, S.C., has his bandages changed at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta. His lower back was burned when a pot of boiling water fell after he tipped over the kitchen stove Jan. 21.   EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
Malachi Sewell, 9, of Johnston, S.C., has his bandages changed at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta. His lower back was burned when a pot of boiling water fell after he tipped over the kitchen stove Jan. 21.

“With Malachi, anything is possible,” she said, as her son was getting a follow-up examination at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital.

The burn center and its physicians and caregivers, the Joseph M. Still Burn Centers Inc., are using Burn Awareness Week to urge parents to turn down the thermostat on water heaters and be mindful of things such as cigarette lighters that can lead to bad burns.

In 2007, fire and burns accounted for 145 deaths in Georgia, including five in children 4 and younger and 15 in those 19 and younger, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Burns are the fourth-leading cause of hospitalization in children younger than 1 year old and the eighth-leading cause in those age 4 and younger, according to CDC data. About 75 percent of the burns in children are from scalding, usually from a seemingly innocuous source, said Beretta Craft-Coffman, a physician assistant for the center’s medical group.

“The faucet is one of the biggest culprits,” she said. Children’s skin is thin, so a temperature that an adult can withstand could scald a child and cause a deeper injury. That’s why the burn center and its medical group say a home’s water heater should be set at no more than 120 degrees.

“I would be willing to bet you most hot water heaters are set at a higher temperature than 120 degrees,” Craft-Coffman said. “At 140 degrees, you can sustain a burn in five seconds. You can save these children from having scald injuries by just adjusting your hot water heater.”

Parents who smoke should keep close track of lighters, she said.

“The cigarette lighter is extremely dangerous in the hands of a child,” Craft-Coffman said. “And if they think those lighters are childproof, they are wrong.”

A child the age of Malachi can learn to adjust well to a burn, but if there is extensive scarring, that can be a problem later when skin can’t stretch to accommodate growth, she said.

“It’s lifelong” for some children, Craft-Coffman said. Just as children are at higher risk because of thinner skin, so too are older people for the same reasons, she said.

“The elderly are very similar,” Craft-Coffman said, so residents with seniors in the home should take the same scald precautions.

PRECAUTIONS TO TAKE AT HOME

Some small adjustments in the home could make a big difference in keeping children safe from scalds and burns, said Joseph M. Still Burn Centers Inc., the medical group for the burn center at Doctors Hospital:

• Make sure the water heater is set at no more than 120 degrees.

• Make sure children cannot get their hands on cigarette lighters and other ignition devices.

• Make sure pots on the stove have the handles turned inward so a child can’t reach up and grab them.

• Never carry hot liquids while carrying a child. Use travel mugs with lids at home for coffee and other hot liquids to help avoid spills.

• Avoid using tablecloths that a child could use to drag hot items off a table, and keep hot items away from the edges of a table.

Comments (1) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Patty-P
3516
Points
Patty-P 02/07/12 - 05:43 pm
0
0
And they were primed and

And they were primed and ready to charge the mom with child abuse.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen

Georgia Regents Medical Center won a lengthy and hardfought battle over two other Augusta hospitals to build the first hospital in Columbia County, the Georgia Department of Community Health ...
Search Augusta jobs