Three UGA football players dismissed

Friday, Feb. 3, 2012 10:53 AM
Last updated 6:54 PM

Three freshmen Georgia football players this season have been dismissed from the team by coach Mark Richt for undisclosed violations.

The three are cornerback Nick Marshall, defensive back Chris Sanders and receiver Sanford Seay.

Richt would not disclose what team rules were broken, saying only that “mistakes were made and part of our job is helping them learn from mistakes.” He says he will assist the three in transferring to other schools.

Sanders had two tackles in three games. Marshall had five tackles in 13 games, mostly on special teams. Seay was held out as a redshirt.

Bonk
Bonk 02/03/12 - 02:32 pm
Athens Banner Herald reports

Athens Banner Herald reports that it was theft from another student.

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 02:37 pm
It sounds like the character

It sounds like the character of the kind of athletes UGA is recruiting has become quite suspect.

Bonk
Bonk 02/03/12 - 03:01 pm
Has everyone heard of the

Has everyone heard of the fulmer cup? UGA won it in 2010. It is a tongue-in-cheek award given each year in the United States to the Division I FBS college football program whose players collectively have the worst criminal record

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 02/03/12 - 04:42 pm
KSL, The character of many

KSL,

The character of many athletes recruited by colleges across our nation has become quite suspect.

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 05:01 pm
You are right about that,

You are right about that, Craig Spinks. All you have to do is read the article on Richmond County school disciplinary actions and get a clue as to why.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/03/12 - 05:05 pm
Okay, so no comment on the

Okay, so no comment on the past recruit who UGA was courting, but quickly disregarded after they caught him stealing in the UGA football locker room last year??....and this same kid was recruiting and signed by the Tennessee Volunteers just a couple of days ago?? Not only does stuff happen at all the schools, some schools will go ahead and knowingly recruit the criminals! Now, tell me, when has Georgia been guilty of knowingly recruiting a criminal?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/03/12 - 05:10 pm
Just My Opinion, they hired

Just My Opinion, they hired Jim Donnan.

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 05:14 pm
UT has never won the award

UT has never won the award despite it being named after one of their former coaches. I guess based on their point scores they can afford to recruit a criminal or two.l

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 02/03/12 - 06:02 pm

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 02/03/12 - 05:59 pm
@Bonk This won't count

@Bonk

This won't count towards the Fulmer Cup, I don't think. Ya gotta get arrested to earn points in that competition. Now if these guys are charged, that will give Georgia a big boost. Auburn won it last year and the Dawgs are mad, mad, mad and want their trophy back! Now there is the case of the UGA player who was busted for slapping around his girlfriend in downtown Athens a few weeks back but I can't remember if that was in 2011 or 2012.

For those non-cogniscenti, the Fulmer Cup was named in honor of Phillip Fulmer, ex-Tennessee coach who had 20 (you read that correctly) players busted by the cops in a mere 16 months between 2004 and 2005.

A great record which will take some beating.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/03/12 - 08:21 pm
Good one, River! And KSL, I

Good one, River! And KSL, I think it's in the rules that UT isn't allowed to win it because they'd win it every year!

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 08:26 pm
JMO, Nooo, I think it's

JMO, Nooo, I think it's because there is a high correlation between the success of the SEC teams and the award winners. UT hasn't been that good of late.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/03/12 - 08:38 pm
Here we go. Get rid of the

Here we go. Get rid of the distractions now so that when the season starts we can focus on the real priority at hand. WINNING!

raul
raul 02/03/12 - 10:54 pm
I started to make a comment

I started to make a comment about blowing their opportunity for a college education, but I see Coach Richt is assisting the three in transfering to another school. Huh?

KSL
KSL 02/03/12 - 11:06 pm
How lucky are those other

How lucky are those other schools taking on his problem athletes? Even if they are not going to be athletes, since when does any college want to enroll thieves?

panamajoe98
panamajoe98 02/04/12 - 02:43 am
Do GA taxpayers get

Do GA taxpayers get compensation for money spent on these players?
Or is it a "mistake" to be written off? These criminals took up space at a taxpayer funded school. Space that could have been utilized by academic students that could actually contribute to society in a few years instead of being habitual criminals that played football for a couple years and made a few alumni feel good.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/04/12 - 09:13 am
Agreed panamajoe98

Agreed panamajoe98

allhans
allhans 02/04/12 - 09:49 am
I am assuming that the UGA

I am assuming that the UGA doesn't bother to do a background check on recruits...only athletic ability.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/04/12 - 09:56 am
Allhans, I'm really proud of

Allhans, I'm really proud of my Clemson team. They have 9 players who got their rights restored this year. Heh.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/04/12 - 11:11 am
allhans, as I mentioned in an

allhans, as I mentioned in an earlier comment, do you think that UT did a background check on the kid who stole while on a recruiting trip to UGA? They signed him anyway. Look, we all KNOW that kids will make mistakes...no question about it. They can change if given the chance. Now, that being said, from what I understand, these 3 who were kicked off the UGA team?..this was their 3rd serious school/team infraction. 3 strikes and your gone! BTW, how many strikes did Stephen Garcia get at South Carolina?

allhans
allhans 02/04/12 - 11:30 am
And now these guys will be

And now these guys will be helped to get in to another school. What about the students at the new school. Don't they deserve better?

mag5
mag5 02/15/12 - 07:59 am
No one gets a pass on this

No one gets a pass on this one. All D1 teams recruit the type of Athlete that would be considered a behavior risk. I am sure that if talent were equal they would choose the better character but most don't want to miss out on the 5 Star stud...it affects their job.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms