Bill would require disclosure of unused sales tax funds

ATLANTA -- Two Brunswick legislators introduced bills in the House and Senate Thursday that would require local governments to run newspaper ads disclosing leftover money after sales-tax-funded projects are completed.

Rep. Alex Atwood and Sen. William Ligon, both Republicans, sponsored companion bills because of similar circumstances in their part of the state.“We had some areas where that hadn’t been done,” Atwood said without giving any specifics other than saying there was no wrongdoing and the commissioners are no longer in office.

Atwood said his goal is to provide more transparency.

“People have a right to know what’s going on with their dollars,” he said.

Current law requires ads to show estimated costs, the amount spent each year and how they vary from the original estimates.

The proposed law adds leftover funds to that list. It also gives taxpayers and the attorney general the ability to file a lawsuit to force a city or county to publish the details.

“It puts a little bit of teeth in the law,” Atwood said.

David Parker
David Parker 01/27/12 - 08:25 am
If it's available to the

If it's available to the general public, by that I mean the folks paying the taxes to it, then publishing in the media is a service. I can't see where people have a "right" to a service. Yes, they have a right to see it, but NO it is not the duty of the government to "deliver" information to your front door. VOTE it DOWN and stop wasting time and effort.

On the same note, if that is not the case and the information is not already available for public review by going to the CIty Hall and requesting the documents, then there is a problem.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 01/27/12 - 10:19 am
this sounds to me like it

this sounds to me like it only adds some very useful information to an announcement already being published. sounds like a great idea with no added expense. good. i'll call my reps and encourage a yes. our government seems to have a little cubby hole full of money. transparency would be nice.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 10:22 am
Better than disclosing left

Better than disclosing left over SPLOST money would be actually returning it to citizens in the form of property tax credits.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 01/27/12 - 10:36 am
Amen that Little Lamb!

Amen that Little Lamb!

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 01/27/12 - 10:53 am
uh, little lamb, that's

uh, little lamb, that's redistribution of wealth. those are sales tax dollars, not property tax.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 11:00 am
Well, it would be difficult

Well, it would be difficult to give it back in the form of sales tax credits. I suppose it could be done, but you would still have to give the sales tax credit slips only to residents of the county where the left-over SPLOST money was accumulating.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 01/27/12 - 11:07 am
we could just stop collecting

we could just stop collecting sales tax until the funds are used up then vote again on whether to collect more. that would avoid money looking for a project which augusta has a big problem with.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/27/12 - 11:09 am
Hey, I like that, BSNM.

Hey, I like that, BSNM.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 01/27/12 - 11:15 am
right on.

right on.

David Parker
David Parker 01/27/12 - 04:04 pm
I guess soon I can expect

I guess soon I can expect someone from the tax office to sit down in my rumpus room and read the breakdown of appropriations aloud and then clarify each point that I feel lacks comprehension to my satisfaction? Please.

Lincoln County deputies injured breaking up fight

Two Lincoln County deputies were treated at an Augusta Hospital after being injured breaking up a fight at a party at an American Legion building in Lincolnton.