Sediment tests under way at Langley Pond

Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2012 3:04 PM
Last updated 7:26 PM

The S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control is sampling sediment at Langley Pond as part of an assessment that will last a month or more.

Visitors to the area in Aiken County might notice a pontoon boat and other boats being used by technicians to gather samples for analysis, said Adam Myrick, a spokesman for the department.

The tests are designed to determine the extent of contaminants deposited on the bottom of the lake from industries that thrived along Horse Creek decades ago.

The sampling will not interrupt any activities in or around Langley Pond, Myrick said, and the department will schedule a community meeting this summer to share test results with residents.

The pond is popular among anglers and has rowing events have been held there. Concern over potential contamination dates back more than a decade.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/24/12 - 03:48 pm
Whatever they find in the

Whatever they find in the sludge, there will be an army of hypochondriacs massed to blame every ailment every member of their families ever had on the so-called contaminants in the sludge. Mercury, lead, PCBs, DDT, cadmium, nickel, chromate, dioxin, you name it — someone will blame it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/24/12 - 04:00 pm
It reminds me of the Hyde

It reminds me of the Hyde Park soil testing, Rick.

writerrick
writerrick 01/24/12 - 04:49 pm
Little Lamb, I live directly

Little Lamb, I live directly downstream of Langley Pond. I wake up looking at Horse Creek every morning. I am very interested in the research and testing going on. I love where I live and not looking to claim any ailment what-so-ever. Whats your stake?

dwb619
dwb619 01/24/12 - 05:41 pm
The list of "so called

The list of "so called contaminants" is quite possibly some of the worst health hazards presently known, excluding those that are unique to the nuclear history. However, the effects on health are pretty well defined. The point I am trying to make is, contaminants have narrowly defined health risk. An individual cannot just claim an illness and abjectly blame it on the contaminants without solid proof of exposure and evidence of the related health issues.

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 01/24/12 - 11:24 pm
I absolutely want to know

I absolutely want to know what's in Langley Pond. I live just down the road from it myself. No, I don't claim any illness and wouldn't anyway, as I just recently moved there. But I've heard horror stories about the pond and would like to know its current status.