39,000 pounds of junk mail burns on Ga. highway

WAYCROSS, Ga. — Authorities say they’ve determined that nearly 39,000 pounds of mail bound for Florida burned on the side of a Georgia highway.

Postal Service spokesman Stephen Seewoester tells the Florida Times-Union that all 38,616 pounds was advertising mail, also known as junk mail.

Waycross Postmaster Richard Ferrell determined there was no first-class mail among the cargo of the burned-out semitrailer.

Authorities say 38-year-old trucker Jimmy Lewis Dobson of Warner Robins saw flames coming from around the rear wheels of his semitrailer on U.S. Highway 1 north of Waycross on Saturday night. He got out of the truck and firefighters extinguished the blaze, but the mail had already burned.

The burned mail originated in the Georgia town of Eastman.

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 01/24/12 - 10:15 am
It was probably mostly Ron

It was probably mostly Ron Paul propaganda anyway. The fire did the people a favor.
;-)

stillamazed
stillamazed 01/24/12 - 10:53 am
That was an ugly

That was an ugly comment.....I have not received any Ron Paul propaganda! but I do hate junk mail filling up my box.

kmb413
kmb413 01/24/12 - 11:22 am
too bad it was going to

too bad it was going to Florida, that means we will still get junk mail! Darn it!

david jennings
david jennings 01/24/12 - 12:09 pm
Counting my mail box and the

Counting my mail box and the ads in the Sunday paper I feel I've thrown away that much last year. No Ron Paul though.

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/24/12 - 12:27 pm
Junk mail is the only thing

Junk mail is the only thing that keeps the USPS afloat and I too despise it. Also don't care for the yellow plastic junk thrown in my driveway but I emailed Sean and got it stopped.

David Parker
David Parker 01/24/12 - 12:52 pm
obviously divine intervention

obviously divine intervention

Fort Gordon Warrior Transition Battalion closing

Fort Gordon's Warrior Transition Battalion, the second-largest in the Army, is one of 10 military medical units nationwide that will be closed by August 2016, as the number of sick and injured ...