UGA player Commings arrested

Saturday, Jan. 21, 2012 2:32 PM
Last updated 6:26 PM

Georgia football player Sanders Commings was arrested this morning by university police on a charge of domestic violence/simple battery.

Police responded after 1 a.m. following a confrontation between the starting senior cornerback and his girlfriend on a sidewalk at Jackson and Broad Streets in downtown Athens, according to UGA police chief Jimmy Williamson.

“Bystanders got involved and separated the parties and it became apparent that during the separation of them that he stuck her in the face,” Williamson said. “They at some point and time were able to flag down one of our officers. They also had the young woman with them.”

Police obtained an arrest warrant and Commings was arrested after 7 a.m., Williamson said.

Commings, 21, remains in the Clarke County Jail, according to an online booking report. He could be held overnight until the conditions of his bond are determined by a judge on Sunday morning.

Williamson said he would not detail injuries sustained by the woman.

There was no immediate word from Georgia on any discipline coming for Commings.

The Augusta native started every game for Georgia last season. He tied for fourth on the team with 55 tackles and had one interceptions.

Bonk
Bonk 01/21/12 - 03:57 pm
I still can't believe that

I still can't believe that the chronicle hasn't reported one word on the Alabama fan Brian Downing story.

follower 01/21/12 - 04:49 pm
Bonk, while the Downing story

Bonk, while the Downing story is newsworthy, it doesn't have anything to do with this one. Cummings is nothing more than a continuing stream of UGA players that act like idiots in public, bringing shame and reproach on the University.

I don't care how many tackles or interceptions he made, he doesn't deserve the privledge of representing the Bulldogs.

I'm a huge Dawg fan, but I'm sick of reading about the off field antics.

tcowan13
tcowan13 01/21/12 - 05:43 pm
I Have Been A UGA Fan Since I

I Have Been A UGA Fan Since I Was A Teenager And I Am Still A UGA Fan.I Am 47 Years Old Now.Sanders Commings Is Still One Of My Favorite Players For UGA!!! Go Dawgs!!! 'Nuff Said!!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/21/12 - 06:16 pm
follower, as a fellow Bulldog

follower, as a fellow Bulldog fan, I think you're being alittle too harsh. To say that there is a "continuing stream" is a gross overstatement. In the last year, we have only had a couple of players who have ran afoul of the law, and that is hardly a continuing stream. No, I don't like it either....one is too many. But, as apoint of comparison,we're not the Florida Gators, who have had 9 arrests just since their new coach has arrived!

Semibored
Semibored 01/21/12 - 07:23 pm
Tcowan. Amazing. Guess its

Tcowan. Amazing. Guess its ok for him to smack a girl around. After all, he's still your favorite. Hope you don't have a wife or daughter with that attitude. Unfortunately, all colleges have their issues and as one post said, it is a steady stream. The difference is that some years, more thugs get recruited by one school than others. The fact that the point was made that Florida had more arrested than UGA this year is evidence of what is happening in college sports. Maybe the BCS can work the number of arrests, positive drug tests, suspensions, etc into their rankings.