Ga. bills seek drug test for welfare benefits

Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2012 12:37 PM
Last updated 8:45 PM

ATLANTA -- A powerful committee chairman introduced legislation Tuesday to require anyone getting state welfare or unemployment benefits to submit to random drug tests.

Rep. Ron Stephens, R-Savannah, said the employees at his pharmacies and those of most major employers must submit to drug tests.

“Just the possibility, gives people an incentive to stay away from drugs,” said Stephens, chairman of the House Economic Development and Tourism Committee.

One major employer in the Savannah area with openings for welders tested hundreds of applicants, and half were found to be positive for drug use, he said. He speculated that many of those positive applicants were getting unemployment checks and only applied for the job as a way to meet requirements that they prove they were looking for work.

Stephens’ bills, House Bills 697-699, are separate from legislation announced by freshman Rep. Jason Spencer, R-Woodbine, last month that would require all applicants for welfare or unemployment benefits to pay for their own drug tests before receiving a government check. Often, committee chairmen have more success passing legislation than freshmen.

Stephens also introduced HB 695 that would grant free car tags to military veterans who are partially disabled. Current law only makes the tags available to those who are 100 percent disabled.

Techfan
Techfan 01/11/12 - 10:25 am
Don't forget anyone receiving

Don't forget anyone receiving a government contract.

Techfan
Techfan 01/11/12 - 10:32 am
2% failed and 2% refused to

2% failed and 2% refused to take the test. How in the heck does that equal 20%? How about a source (legitimate, of course).

Dudeness
Dudeness 01/11/12 - 10:58 am

Nearly 1,600 applicants have refused to take the test since testing began in mid-July, but they aren't required to say why. Thirty-two applicants failed the test and more than 7,000 have passed, according to the Department of Children and Families.

iLove
iLove 01/11/12 - 11:40 am
7,000 vs. 32 + a possibly

7,000 vs. 32 + a possibly 1,600...hmmm....

David Parker
David Parker 01/11/12 - 11:47 am
So the system is perfectly

So the system is perfectly designed and implemented flawlessly?

I deserve 75/25% ground beef, generic hamburger helper, Dr Perky soft drinks, Gualtney hot dogs ( no offense, they're good enough), etc. And I'm fine eating it.

I just get a frustrated feeling watching someone pay for their cart full of name-brand exclusive foods that I cannot afford.

I like Porterhouse. I like Coca-Cola. I like all-beef hotdogs w/ a bun instead of a slice of bread. I like to stock the freezer with Boston butts and racks of ribs. But I can't b/c of the reality that a dollar bill is 100 pennies and it take X number of them to cover the cost of all that stuff.

It is also frustrating to know that a percentage of that balance on those EBT cards came from the part of my paycheck that I didn't get.

By the tone of some comments, I should get all the satisfaction from knowing that I'm helping my fellow man and just eat the cheap and like it. I DO, but it's frustrating.

allhans
allhans 01/11/12 - 11:49 am
techfan..Who did the

techfan..Who did the administration give a government contract to now?
The same ones that have gotten them for years, or are they spreading it around?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 01/11/12 - 01:44 pm
"Should testing be done just

"Should testing be done just for citizens who receive welfare, or ANYONE receiving benefits from the gov't.?"

Careful, iLove, you're stepping in a large pool of many different kinds of "Govt. benefits." If you are referring to Military "earned" benefits, I have a problem with your comment.

However, I would gladly offer "samples" to continue drawing what I earned in service to my country, if that's what it takes.

eagle
eagle 01/11/12 - 02:03 pm
Go ahead and pass the law.

Go ahead and pass the law. Lets see how long it takes for Holder and his office to file suit against GA.

drivenslow
drivenslow 01/11/12 - 02:15 pm
75% of drug users and abusers

75% of drug users and abusers are fulltime employees....fact

Cirroc2012
Cirroc2012 01/11/12 - 02:24 pm
@specsta, the reason I am

@specsta, the reason I am concern with what people are using, is because we have too many young women out there who are boasting about how much they are getting for the 3-10 kids they have. We have our elderly population who are still working and have muli-medical problems and are offer $30.00 in food stamps. You can't tell me all of these Walmart EBT shoppers with all of those kids running around in the store are disable. If laziness is a disability I need to stop working and apply. If the person has have all of these degrees then they need to settle for a minimal wage job.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/12/12 - 05:44 pm
Cirroc2012, you are

Cirroc2012, you are absolutely right. Sickening isn't it? Those who help themselves get you know "what-ed" on, those who refuse to do anything but create more dependants are rewarded. They live, eat, and get better medical care than most taxpayers the government allows them to steal from! YES STEAL!!!!! Thank a bleeding heart today!!