Ga. bills seek drug test for welfare benefits

Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2012 12:37 PM
Last updated 8:45 PM

ATLANTA -- A powerful committee chairman introduced legislation Tuesday to require anyone getting state welfare or unemployment benefits to submit to random drug tests.

Rep. Ron Stephens, R-Savannah, said the employees at his pharmacies and those of most major employers must submit to drug tests.

“Just the possibility, gives people an incentive to stay away from drugs,” said Stephens, chairman of the House Economic Development and Tourism Committee.

One major employer in the Savannah area with openings for welders tested hundreds of applicants, and half were found to be positive for drug use, he said. He speculated that many of those positive applicants were getting unemployment checks and only applied for the job as a way to meet requirements that they prove they were looking for work.

Stephens’ bills, House Bills 697-699, are separate from legislation announced by freshman Rep. Jason Spencer, R-Woodbine, last month that would require all applicants for welfare or unemployment benefits to pay for their own drug tests before receiving a government check. Often, committee chairmen have more success passing legislation than freshmen.

Stephens also introduced HB 695 that would grant free car tags to military veterans who are partially disabled. Current law only makes the tags available to those who are 100 percent disabled.

David Parker
David Parker 01/10/12 - 01:16 pm
ask and ye shall receive. I

ask and ye shall receive. I commented earlier on welfare fraud and overall abuse of it's resources and lookie lookie. I love it that in no way is ANYBODY ever subject to wee'ing in a cup against their will, but if you want the freebie, you gotta go do the test, randomly of course.

swcohen
swcohen 01/10/12 - 01:54 pm
If I have to submit in order

If I have to submit in order to keep working, then layabouts can submit to keep from working. As my employer often says, it's ENTIRELY optional.

iLove
iLove 01/10/12 - 02:04 pm
Should testing be done just

Should testing be done just for citizens who receive welfare, or ANYONE receiving benefits from the gov't.?

Only in the south....I think Fla. tried this, but it is reported that only 2% of the applicants actually failed.

David Parker
David Parker 01/10/12 - 02:30 pm
anybody that gets a bite of

anybody that gets a bite of my slice of pie should be subject to it.

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/10/12 - 02:41 pm
Test supporter’s urine for

Test supporter’s urine for the presence of brain cells, I’ll bet you’ll find high concentrations.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 01/10/12 - 02:50 pm
I'm all for this one.

I'm all for this one.

ATAXPAYER2
ATAXPAYER2 01/10/12 - 02:50 pm
Please pass this! Please,

Please pass this! Please, please, please! Recipients are getting benefits because of 'workers' like me, who were drug tested to get the job that provided the tax money that funded their welfare freebies. Test them, every single one. Forget random testing. Each and every recipient or household member that benefits from the program should be tested. No exceptions!! They use, they lose!!

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/10/12 - 02:59 pm
Waste of money, do you know

Waste of money, do you know how easy it is to get around a urine test especially a pre scheduled one??

And as for the "job" test. I have heard too many times people quit pot and do harder drugs because its easier to beat urine tests with, especially scheduled ones.

The only way to make this work is with "pop" tests and they will never do that. They wont even do that for their housing inspections now, if they did half the people with section 8 would lose it and we would save millions. When you give someone a month notice for their test or inspection.... do you not think they will make sure they pass that one time???

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/10/12 - 03:04 pm
And iLove makes the best

And iLove makes the best point, look at how well Floridas policy is working out, you can't tell me there isnt major drug use going on there by the welfare crowd. The few who fail are probably just the ones who dont read the news and got caught unexpected!!

But this country is ate up with idiot politicians who see things dont work, but keep trying them with fingers crossed hoping they will magically change.

BamaMan
BamaMan 01/10/12 - 03:25 pm
Stang, I believe it said

Stang, I believe it said "random", which is the only way.

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/10/12 - 03:28 pm
More wasteful government

More wasteful government spending.

Lizbeth
Lizbeth 01/10/12 - 04:33 pm
Im sorry to burst all of your

Im sorry to burst all of your bubbles, but there are drinks out there that allow you to pass a urine drug test. They did this in Florida with an unfavorable outcome and didn't the gov. have to pay the people back after they took it and passed?

OJP
OJP 01/10/12 - 04:35 pm
Why stop at welfare

Why stop at welfare recipients? Test anyone who receives any type of government subsidy, i.e., everyone.

Looking at just the mortgage interest deduction, HOPE, student loan guarantees, and earned income credits, the vast majority of the population is receiving government subsidies.

If it truly is about making sure recipients of taxpayer dollars are clean and sober, it shouldn't stop here.

OJP

bjphysics
bjphysics 01/10/12 - 04:44 pm
If this is constitutional it

If this is constitutional it will still be a waste of money. Welfare recipients will stop using altogether, use countermeasures, or move away from long half-life drugs like marijuana and onto short half-life drugs like cocaine. Tax payers will end up paying welfare benefits and transferring money to test labs owned by political donors.

More wasteful government spending to benefit the few and cost the many.

scoobynews
scoobynews 01/10/12 - 05:24 pm
The need to check into

The need to check into welfare fraud next. I rarely go to the Deans Bridge Walmart but we near there on my way home so I stopped in to get a few items. I have never seen so many filled to the rim buggies in my life. There was two young couples one cart ahead of me they had THREE buggies filled with sugar, juice boxes, cookies, loaves of bread, a box of eggs, meat of every variety, big bags of chips, and so much more. The two young men were well dressed and looked pretty dang healthy as did the two young women. What did they use to pay for this mountain of food? You guessed it a GA EBT card. Then the buggie full in front of me by another lady was paid for with a GA EBT card also. Her total I noticed was $356 with one buggie load can you imagine what the other 3 full loads must have cost. It is ridiculous!! I had to PAY for my items with my own hard earned money. As I looked around I saw many more buggie loads in every filled up asisle. Some people had 3 loaves of bread, 4 bags of sugar, and other items in dupilicate or triplicate. Does the money expire or something??? I mean it is only the 10th for goodness sake?? It is like they were there to spend every last dime on their purchases and in fact the lady in front of my was $17 short so she maxed her card out in one run to the store. If your this broke how on earth do you pay for most likely two refridgerators or freezers???

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 01/10/12 - 05:28 pm
I agree with OJP,

I agree with OJP, Congressman, people who are on Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, the President, Supreme Court Justices, diplomats, anyone who gets a check from taxpayer money should be tested! Then, let's just create a fund that will grow all drug testing companies and give them a nice subsidy! Oh, and then, we'll drug the people doing the drug test, since they are receiving government money!

I agree, wasteful, indeed, bjphysics!

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/10/12 - 05:33 pm
BamaMan random means you

BamaMan random means you never know when your name is pulled, but you still have notice of when the test is. Those are totally different things. Even if its when you renew or get your check... you still have notice. =)

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/10/12 - 05:37 pm
Exactly bjphysics and

Exactly bjphysics and Lizbeth!!!!!

specsta
specsta 01/10/12 - 09:15 pm
The hatred of the poor never

The hatred of the poor never ceases. Why anyone would be so concerned about a family shopping for groceries and paying with SNAP benefits is beyond my comprehension. Why judge other folks, when you know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about their lives? Who knows what hardship they endured? There are folks on food stamps right now that never imagined they would find themselves in that position. Folks with MBAs and Doctorate degrees that lost jobs. Families that have battled a fatal disease and lost their life savings due to medical bills.

My advice is if you observe someone using SNAP benefits to pay for food, just thank God that you yourself have the money to eat. Because all it will take is one disastrous illness, or a company shutting down, to find yourself in the same, or worse, position.

It is humbling enough to ask for government assistance; then to deal with a state-mandated drug test, to prove that you are worthy of eating, is abhorrent, disgusting, and immoral. Florida has already proven that rampant drug use does not exist among welfare recipients. So what's the point of doing it in GA???

If anyone needs to be drug tested, it is our politicians and the corporate cabal they serve. Why is no one talking about the beneficiaries of corporate welfare? Welfare that involves billions of dollars, not $300 a month in food stamps.

Pu239
Pu239 01/10/12 - 09:13 pm
GAStang22 apparently you have

GAStang22 apparently you have never been tapped on the shoulder and rode with the foreman to surrender your bodily fluids....so tell me how would you get notice for a random screen?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/10/12 - 09:29 pm
Specsta, honestly, I'd just

Specsta, honestly, I'd just like to screw with welfare recipients a bit. The harder we can make it, the more may get off it. Plus, you brought up corporate welfare. I have no doubt there are companies that do all kinds of wrong, but at least they are making the money even if they have paid off a Congressman to get them out of paying taxes.

OJP
OJP 01/10/12 - 09:30 pm
Very well said, specsta.

Very well said, specsta.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/10/12 - 10:01 pm
PU239, what do you think they

PU239, what do you think they show up at your house with a cup? You know your number may be up when you go to get your check, apply, renewals etc.... This isn't a job, its hand outs. You arent there every day. Most of people I have heard talk that do drugs and work get to drive themselves that day, and be there by a certain time and have on hand chemicals to alter the test, have lists on hand for otc meds that will test positive in case some residue is left over from their weekend binge since most drugs are out of the system in 3 days, they only do the drugs every friday night or when they have 3 days off etc... Many have said they stopped pot and went to harder drugs because they can rid it from their system faster. Thats a good side effect of drug testing isn't it???? I knew people dr's officers etc.... coke heads because it is easily hide able!!! Then you have the prescription pill abusers that are hooked on them like crack addicts but legal so it doesnt count, you have the alcoholics, neither of those will get their benefits stopped for being an addict who refuses to work.
And no I have never been tapped on the shoulder by a foreman and rode with him nor have I heard of it being done, unless you dont have a car. But thats the correct way and the type test that needs to be done for this to be effective, you have no clue when they will show up at your house for a test or it will never work, and the government wont do that, they have no interest in actually stopping abusers... this law is for show and votes only!!!!!! If they really wanted to save millions stop letting lazy lifers create more dependants!!!!

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/10/12 - 10:04 pm
PU239 I sent a response but

PU239 I sent a response but moderators have to approve it....again..... but they never send them through!! But basically until the full explanation comes through.... they dont show up at your house unexpectedly for a test so you know when the chance is you may be tested....easy to prepare for. If your job only tested randomly once a month on the 3rd friday... thats notice... if they only randomly test on payday... thats notice etc....

Pu239
Pu239 01/10/12 - 10:14 pm
GaStang....if the policy was

GaStang....if the policy was as you stated I would agree... but that's not really random is it? Why not set it up as truly random? I have been on projects that testing was truly random...different crafts...different days....skipped days....no chance to go to your locker before the test...
So if the powers that be, really wanted to make this random screening work, they could....but most likely the effort will never be put forth....

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/10/12 - 10:17 pm
You couldn't possibly have a

You couldn't possibly have a facility big enough to test everyone getting welfare in Augusta.

GaStang22
GaStang22 01/10/12 - 10:40 pm
Specsta, let me give you some

Specsta, let me give you some feedback on your comment. Having worked with thousands and thousands of these people, the percentage that deserve the help are very small. There are thousands more who deserve it but can not get it due to the overwhelming number of leeches already on the dole.
Humbling to ask for help?? Yeah only to the small percentage that have morals, the rest teach their kids how to do it with pride!!!! Many of us see the outrageous numbers who scam the system... we report them... the government does nothing... then we see hard working deserving people who need help get back on their feet but either no funds are left or they are denied just FOR having a job or one week of overtime in a whole year and they are cut off for 6 months to a year from ANY help.

Here's a good case. I asked for medical assistance to continue working at 24 because I have a painful disease and 1 surgery would alleviate that pain, I was told by the office you work, you get no help, quit work apply for disability and you can get medical, housing, food, and utilities and not have to work anymore. I said WHAT???? Are you kidding?? But if I refuse to work and get benefits, then have 6 more kids even though I am lazy and/or disabled, 6 kids is harder work than a job, I get everything under the sun and eat steak while my working fellow citizen lives paycheck to paycheck eating hot dogs. I refused, I have more pride than that, can't say the same for the millions of leeches scamming the rest of us taxpayers.

And this is their way of helping people??? No this is enabling and condoning lazy immoral people because the bleeding hearts WILL NOT allow them to pop up inspect these people nor hire investigators that will bust the scammers when it is reported!!!! If you saw what some of the rest of us see, you would change your tune. Do you know that these people living off the government make more money than MOST full time working people?? You must only know working people who get a little assistance to help make ends meet, you have no idea of the millions who make 3k a month in government help without working a day in their life claiming they cant find work, but they can find time to have kid after kid when the rest of us stop breeding when we can't afford more!! And to top if off they eat better than us and live in better homes while the working man may live in a trailer because he gets no benefits???? The last one that made me the hottest under the collar was the lady who worked at burger king who had 4 kids who got to move into a 4 bedroom home brand spanking new over 2700 square feet. She made the kids with of course no names mentioned dads of course no child support and was upgraded by section 8 because her teenagers needed their own rooms, gets almost 800/month towards the rent over 1500 a month ebt, medicaid, and utility assistance, complaining about how she had to get the job in order to be upgraded from her 3 bedroom home in an older section 8 neighborhood. I was sick enough and guess what.... shes pregnant again, and whats her closet loaded with when we go there to do work??? Boyfriends clothes, he is there every single time, the last time like others, he was packing his stuff up before the inspectors came.... because they get a months notice they are coming. We report it, their answer, her paperwork is in order, inspectors found nothing, sorry. Well you would bust them if you pop inspected!! How about not letting these people continue to breed if they need so much help?? Birth control is free they dont use it!! What kind of system is this? And some of the worst offenders I have ever seen were old friends of ours, 3 couples, all refused to get married so they could play the same game though they have been living together for 15+ years!!

Taxes work the same way, work minimum wage job for long enough to get a w-2, get back almost 10k because of how many kids they have.....get back more than they earned.....and not a dime of that counts towards reducing benefits lump sum one time doesnt count, but one time of $300 overtime does for 6 months!!! Did you read about the guy who won the 2 million lottery and legally kept receiving benefits??? Tell me the system isn't flawed and taxpayers shouldnt be mad!!

CABoatright
CABoatright 01/11/12 - 07:02 am
Do a ten point drug test on

Do a ten point drug test on every last one of 'em. No free goodies til you pee clean...PERIOD!

allhans
allhans 01/11/12 - 07:13 am
Place it on the ballot, I

Place it on the ballot, I will vote "yes".

Dudeness
Dudeness 01/11/12 - 08:58 am
Nearly 20% of welfare

Nearly 20% of welfare recipients in Florida did not pass the drug test because so many chose not to take the test. Don't be fooled by the 2% figure. That only applies to the ones who actually took the test. With a family of four drawing $364/month in FL (this estimate sounds low to me, but that is what was reported), the savings in welfare payments could exceed $500,000 per month.

Also, why would we hold "poor" people to a lower standard and tell them that it is ok to do drugs and we will pay you for it? How sorry does a person have to be for you to tell them that we expect them to just stay home and get high on our dime and to have no hint of ambition in their lives? I happen to expect more from my fellow man and would prefer to not enable them in trying to escape from creating a better life for himself.

Kettle donations rise in 2014