Rattlesnake bite sends SC boy, 8, to hospital

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. — An 8-year-old Goose Creek boy is finally home after spending more than a month in the hospital recovering from a rattlesnake bite suffered at a North Charleston park.

Zach Szala’s father told The Post and Courier of Charleston that his son went home Friday night and insisted he sleep on the couch so he could be close to the family’s Christmas tree.

The boy was bitten by the snake at Wannamaker County Park on Nov. 23. The venom caused paralysis from the neck up and Zach spent three weeks in intensive care on a respirator and feeding tube.

But things started to turn around in mid-December. Zach’s family says he has regained feeling in his face and can open his eyes, speak and eat on his own.

More

Savannah River Site resumes normal activity

A suspicious item was discovered Wednesday afternoon at the Savannah River National Laboratory which prompted emergency responseactivities.

... Read more