Ga. town to drop possum New Year's Eve

TALLAPOOSA, Ga. — Townspeople in Tallapoosa are preparing for The Possum Drop this New Year’s Eve.

WXIA-TV reports up to 4,000 spectators are expected this year at the annual event in the west Georgia city.

Tallapoosa Mayor Pete Bridges said townspeople slowly lower a mounted possum to the ground.

The mayor says the animal is in a beautifully lit cage as it is lowered, and the event is followed by fireworks.

Taxidermist Bud Jones cares for Spencer, the mounted Virginia possum who will make the New Year’s descent.

Jones said the animal “was road kill. He recalls that he “was going down the road one day and there was old Spencer in the road. So I jumped out and got him. And there he is.”

Insider Information
Insider Information 12/29/11 - 01:26 pm
I'm there!

I'm there!

billcass
billcass 12/29/11 - 03:46 pm
I am sure PETA will be there

I am sure PETA will be there protesting.

david jennings
david jennings 12/29/11 - 06:36 pm
Maybe we could have a

Maybe we could have a commisioner drop in Augusta, I wouldn't miss that.

corgimom
corgimom 12/29/11 - 06:58 pm
I had the "good luck" to tour

I had the "good luck" to tour Tallapoosa, my former husband was once offered a job there. The employer said, "If you take the job, you have to live here. You earn your money in Tallapoosa, you live in Tallapoosa."

After touring the town I said "There is no way that I am ever moving here, this isn't happening."

The possum drop will be the ONLY excitement in that town for the entire year.

Living in the CSRA spoils people for the rest of Georgia.

Dipshot
Dipshot 12/29/11 - 10:39 pm
Stay classy, Georgia.

Stay classy, Georgia.

Dipshot
Dipshot 12/29/11 - 11:05 pm
David.. I know a commissioner

David.. I know a commissioner we could drop.... oh never mind, someone might get killed, and it wouldn't be the commissioner. On second thought maybe we could drop a donut and watch the commissioner chase after it.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.