Fast-food employee shoots robber dead

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Police say a fast-food worker grabbed his gun and shot a man suspected of trying to rob the restaurant near Savannah.

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police say the suspect’s body was found in the parking lot of the Wendy’s restaurant around 12:50 a.m. Thursday in Wilmington Island.

Detectives say two men with masks had surprised the employee while he was cleaning the store after closing and forced him at gunpoint into the office, where they took money. When the worker walked outside with his own weapon, police say one of the men pointed a weapon at him and he was shot and killed.

Police say they are now trying to identify the second suspect, who ran from the restaurant.

rugerguy
rugerguy 12/29/11 - 09:13 pm
Spectsta, maybe he should

Spectsta, maybe he should have thanked them for coming and made them each a large Frosty to go. I was not there, you weren't either. He was and made a superb tactical decision to engage and defeat one of these two scumbags. Second guessing what he should have done or not done is irrelevant.

Another scenario, as long as you are speculating "what ifs" is they could have decided to return and execute the man to prevent him from identifying them. So you suggest we hope that the worst of society will do the best thing. These people are base cowards. If they know there is any chance of this outcome, these things will start not to happen.

I personally would applaud a return to the Old West days where the bad guys were tried and hung immediately and not kept around until the media makes victims out of them. If anyone thinks our present time period is "more civilized" than the Old West days, they are sadly mistaken.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/29/11 - 09:22 pm
A well trained, law abiding

A well trained, law abiding citizen, carrying a weapon, is no threat to anyone but bad guys! This thug paid the supreme price for his poor judgement.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 09:27 pm
I hope the news media follows

I hope the news media follows up on this one to see if the employee looses his job for his brave hero action.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/29/11 - 09:31 pm
Me too, CG, I would like to

Me too, CG, I would like to see it followed up with a final outcome.

mc
mc 12/29/11 - 09:37 pm
Specsta, Two officers, in

Specsta, Two officers, in Aiken, a little over a week ago thought they were handling the perp. One wound up dead. The other shot in the chest. Thank god for bullit proof vest. This employeemight have saved another cops life, or possibly yours.

dmoon1
dmoon1 12/29/11 - 10:37 pm
Tried, prosecuted, and

Tried, prosecuted, and sentenced...with no cost to the court system! If Wendy's fires him, the police dept should hire him.

juantez
juantez 12/30/11 - 12:04 am
Say what you want he is going

Say what you want he is going to be charge...If he had killed the punk inside the store fine but once he went outside and shot him that is where he cross the line.

specsta
specsta 12/30/11 - 02:46 am
Title of User wrote "This

Title of User wrote "This sounds like a guy who watched one too many action films and fancied himself a vigilante."

This thought crossed my mind too. Americans are so accepting of violence that it's frightening. It reminds me of "Dirty Harry" and his famous quote "...you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?" as he brandishes a .44 Magnum.

I was listening to commentary on a James Bond film and the director explained that the US censor (ratings board) was freaking out about nudity and couldn't care less about the violence, and the British censor was freaking out about the violence, and couldn't care less about the nudity.

Violence is the American way. Vengeance, retribution, and an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. A full metal jacket solves it all.

So yeah, I do think this guy had a "Dirty Harry" moment.

specsta
specsta 12/30/11 - 02:43 am
Rugerguy wrote - "Another

Rugerguy wrote - "Another scenario, as long as you are speculating "what ifs" is they could have decided to return and execute the man to prevent him from identifying them."

Ummm, maybe the employee could have locked the door after they left???

Trouble
Trouble 12/30/11 - 04:48 am
this man was not "accused of

this man was not "accused of a crime" he was in the process of committing a crime, there is a difference between being accused and being caught in the act.

Ole School
Ole School 12/30/11 - 05:23 am
heck ! I want to drive to eat

heck ! I want to drive to eat at the wendys !!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/11 - 08:16 am
We are living in the wild

We are living in the wild west days.....this is the only thing that will stop it-----I'm tired of the maybe he shoulda..coulda ..woulda stuff..
If Wendys fires this guy they will lose my business & I will email-write or whatever it takes for them to get that!!!

Crime has exploded---it has to stop.

david jennings
david jennings 12/30/11 - 08:39 am
Just can't have any sympathy

Just can't have any sympathy for an armed robber, and I do sympathize with the employee, I'm sure he took no pleasure in what happened. Working at a honest job for what 8 or9$ an hour, and some vermins going to come throw a gun in your face and threaten your life, yeah I'd be mad, mad enough probably to actually claim temporary loss of reason.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/30/11 - 09:01 am
To the bleeding hearts out

To the bleeding hearts out there......one day you will be sitting at a stop light & some punk with a stolen gun will come up & shoot at you & take your car----THat is what will happen in a few years if we don't stop this crap....I had something like this happen in Augusta downtown in the 70s...it has to stop----we have tried the "be easy" way & it does not work.....anytime someone comes at you with a gun/weapon you have the right to protect yourself....they don't get to have a 2nd time around.

55 F-100
55 F-100 12/30/11 - 09:14 am
In 1982, the city of

In 1982, the city of Kennesaw, Ga. created a law which required heads of household to own a gun and ammunition.....and home burglaries/robberies plummeted.....what if business employees had that same requirement? Could it entail "hunting a baited field" of hood-rat thugs? A thinning of the cretin herd? If bad guy knows that the employee is armed, does he still attempt the crime???? I don't think so!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/30/11 - 09:30 am
Welcome to the forum, Title

Welcome to the forum, Title of User. In my opinion, the answer to your last question is, "It depends."

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 12/30/11 - 09:57 am
Under every rock there's a

Under every rock there's a bleeding heart liberal who hates the 2nd Amendment and has more compassion for criminals than victims.

'Compassionate', politically correct liberals. Look where their ideology has gotten the country.

riddlesgun
riddlesgun 12/30/11 - 12:57 pm
You can’t second guess this

You can’t second guess this employee’s actions. You weren’t there. If there was any way possible, liberal prosecutors could have charged the employee and stuck another law abiding American in jail…they would have. One thing is certain, this thug carried a gun and menaced with it. Sooner or later, he would have shot someone if he hadn’t already. If I catch cancer from cigarettes, you’d say, “Well, he had it coming.” but if I choose to rob with a gun, I deserve understanding and compassion? I was robbed three times at a restaurant. The robbers all traveled in the same circle and considered me easy prey, until one was caught and gave up all of them. They had recently shot a clerk in a 7-11 and the robberies on me had become increasingly violent. They wanted me on my knees for my finale but I refused. They lost their nerve and couldn’t shoot me standing and facing them. I knew my time was up. I started carrying a gun and got instruction on how to use it. I knew it was a matter of time till they killed me. Was I wrong too?

toldyaso
toldyaso 12/31/11 - 01:46 pm
Aside from what ever else

Aside from what ever else happened; when the employee stepped outside, the bad guy pointed a weapon at him, and THEN he was shot. The employee was faced with a decision that really had nothing to do with the robbery, his decision to shoot was in self defense. As a 2A supporter and a carrier myself I support this mans decision to protect himself as I would have. The employee was not the criminal here. Also I note in the article that this is a franchise business, which means that Wendy's corporate has no authority here. It's the franchise owner who will make any decisions about the employee. If it was my business I would place a sign on the door for thieves to see that stated the employees were armed. Just sayin'.

ChuckC
ChuckC 01/01/12 - 03:40 am
the value of the life lost

the value of the life lost was determined by the actions of the one who lost it. I'll save my tears for someone worthwhile.