Fast-food employee shoots robber dead

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Police say a fast-food worker grabbed his gun and shot a man suspected of trying to rob the restaurant near Savannah.

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police say the suspect’s body was found in the parking lot of the Wendy’s restaurant around 12:50 a.m. Thursday in Wilmington Island.

Detectives say two men with masks had surprised the employee while he was cleaning the store after closing and forced him at gunpoint into the office, where they took money. When the worker walked outside with his own weapon, police say one of the men pointed a weapon at him and he was shot and killed.

Police say they are now trying to identify the second suspect, who ran from the restaurant.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 12/29/11 - 10:54 am
If Wendy's attempts to fire

If Wendy's attempts to fire or discipline this AWESOME employee I will NEVER darken their door again.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/29/11 - 10:58 am
Good for the employee and

Good for the employee and poetic justice for the robber. Too bad he could not have gotten the both of them.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 12/29/11 - 11:04 am
Awesome job by the employee.

Awesome job by the employee. Deserves a medal and bonus.

For all of the money he saved the taxpayers and since we have so many government hand out programs, maybe we should reward persons such as this who have saved the public hundreds of thousands of dollars and made the world a better place.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 12/29/11 - 11:06 am
We agree:o)

We agree:o)

autumnlady55
autumnlady55 12/29/11 - 11:07 am
glad he had a good aim! this

glad he had a good aim! this needs to happen every day and maybe these punks would think twice about robbing working folks!

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 12/29/11 - 11:16 am
Earlier in the week a Kroger

Earlier in the week a Kroger manager shot and killed a robber in Indianapolis! Good work! Two less thugs on the street to threaten and possibly kill innocent people who actually WORK for their money. Maybe a few more examples of this and robbers will think twice....Nahhhh, they're not that bright.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 12/29/11 - 11:22 am
Sadly, he will probably lose

Sadly, he will probably lose his job over this. Corporations are run by folks that dont face the risks some of their employees must face in the workplace. IMO its one less mouth to feed in the prison.

Chillen
Chillen 12/29/11 - 11:24 am
Excellent work by the

Excellent work by the employee. Now there is one less loser in the world.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/29/11 - 11:50 am
If employers would allow

If employers would allow their employees to be armed, you would see a dramatic drop in robberies because the criminals never know who is going to shoot back.

Remember a few years back when muggings, personal robberies, etc were on the rise for Florida tourists? The thugs knew Fla citizens had the right to carry, so they started targeting tourists who came by plane and rented cars. They knew that people coming off planes couldn't have guns. I believe that is what prompted the rental car agencies to take the stickers off their windshields to make rentals less easy to spot.

RogerDavis
RogerDavis 12/29/11 - 11:51 am
One more predator DRT. (dead

One more predator DRT. (dead right there). Agree with Austin about Wendy's . But Walrus is probably correct in assuming some sort of action by corporate HQ. Overall a great outcome. Scumbag dead. And if the employee loses his job I'm sure someone, somewhere will consider him an asset and hire him.

blues550
blues550 12/29/11 - 11:54 am
Not to mention the dollars he

Not to mention the dollars he saved the taxpayers. Great shot! Bet Wendy's nails him though.

rugerguy
rugerguy 12/29/11 - 12:05 pm
I agree 100% with Austin

I agree 100% with Austin here. Undoubtedly he violated company policy about having a firearm at work and the thunder will roll down on him from the suits. In that case, I hope the NRA unleashes all hell on Wendy's corporate cowards.

55 F-100
55 F-100 12/29/11 - 01:07 pm
Give the employee a trophy

Give the employee a trophy and a raise in pay!

fftaz71
fftaz71 12/29/11 - 01:28 pm
The employee may have the

The employee may have the fact of having walked outside before he shot anyone on his side. Either way, awesome job by the employee....its about time these criminals started realizing that fast food places and gas stations arent so easy to knock over like this....

drivenslow
drivenslow 12/29/11 - 02:10 pm
this fellow will be lucky if

this fellow will be lucky if an overzealous district attorney doesnt file murder charges

eagle
eagle 12/29/11 - 03:16 pm
Another one (loser) bites the

Another one (loser) bites the dust!!! Good for the employee!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/29/11 - 03:22 pm
If he loses his job over

If he loses his job over this, it would be unfair, but at least he's alive to find another one.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/29/11 - 03:29 pm
I hope the corporate HQ does

I hope the corporate HQ does the right thing. I love this company's chili. I'd hate to give it up over a bad move on their part, but like my Friend Austin, I will not show up at their establishments if they let this hero go!

specsta
specsta 12/29/11 - 03:50 pm
I'm not sure why everyone is

I'm not sure why everyone is rejoicing over the fact that a life was lost.

True, the Wendy's employee was well within his rights to protect himself after a weapon was pointed at him, but I don't understand why this employee didn't just call 911 after the robbers left (leaving him unharmed), and let the police handle it.

Instead the employee chose to confront two armed gunmen at the risk of his own life, after the assailants had already left the restaurant. I don't think that any amount of money the crooks stole would be worth possible death.

I cannot applaud the employee's decision to pursue the robbers. I think it was actually stupid to put his life at risk over the cash receipts of the day.

ADAMS
ADAMS 12/29/11 - 04:13 pm
I visited Wendy's in Augusta,

I visited Wendy's in Augusta, and i tell you their menu prices are asburd and costly. A large fry $2.19 and a large sweet tea $1.99. Down the street Mcdonalds fries taste better and tea and their priced for a large fry is $1.69 and sweet tea is 0.99 cent.

allhans
allhans 12/29/11 - 04:20 pm
specta..The thugs committing

specta..The thugs committing the armed robberies obviously place no value on human life. It's good to see that you aren't like them.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/29/11 - 05:22 pm
Specsta, I always take a bit

Specsta, I always take a bit of satisfaction when a criminal who has threatened someone else's life loses theirs. I don't wish it on someone who commits a property crime, but if someone has been raped, a gun or knife held on them causing them to fear for their lives? No, I have no sympathy for whatever comes next. Good riddance and a savings for the taxpayer. In the Richardson case, I'm just sorry the officer didn't aim higher and get that vermin in a vital spot.

literallyamerican
literallyamerican 12/29/11 - 05:27 pm
This man is a HERO and

This man is a HERO and probably saved another persons life while risking his----I am with the others if the company treats him badly I will never eat there again. Everyone has the right to protect themselves.

GaStang22
GaStang22 12/29/11 - 06:42 pm
Some bleeding hearts will

Some bleeding hearts will help the family protest for the employee to be locked up because the employee walked outside instead of staying in, locking the doors and calling 911. “He was a good boy when he wasn’t being a violent criminal.” The employee is a hero and probably did save someone’s life as a waste like that would only do it again until he hurt or killed someone!! I say good riddance and hope others on the jury will feel the same!!!

GaStang22
GaStang22 12/29/11 - 06:49 pm
specsta, it is called

specsta, it is called "occupational hazard". If this happened more often maybe these losers would find real jobs instead of threatening the lives of innocent people. Not happy someone died, but it was the robbers choice, he just met the citizen that would accommodate.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 06:51 pm
I don't think a 911 call or

I don't think a 911 call or the law enforcement would have handled this little robbery incident as good as this employee did. He just proved how easy it is to eliminate the scum walking among us.

rugerguy
rugerguy 12/29/11 - 07:14 pm
Specsta, let me tell you why

Specsta, let me tell you why I am rejoicing. An ordinary citizen opted to fight - at risk of their own life - to do what is needed to help turn around this society in which those who are able to take what they wish feel free to do so. We now have one dead thug who will not do this crime again and another who may think twice about it next time.

specsta
specsta 12/29/11 - 07:50 pm
Rugerguy - and if the

Rugerguy - and if the situation had ended with the Wendy's employee dead, would you still think that the employee made the right choice? He had been robbed - but was unharmed. The employee put himself in harm's way again by following the robbers into the parking lot with his own gun.

Any citizen should defend themselves against an attack. If someone pulls a gun or knife, you must assume that they are going to use it and take an appropriate counter-action. But what happened here was a citizen "jumping back into the fire", possibly out of anger at being robbed.

specsta
specsta 12/29/11 - 07:59 pm
CobaltGeorge - So we're now

CobaltGeorge - So we're now to become vigilantes? To become judge and jury via a .44 Magnum bullet? I guess we should go back to the Old West days.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/29/11 - 08:36 pm
specsta..."The police would

specsta..."The police would have handled the robbers just fine. That is what they are trained to do."

I know, they have all the time to find him, maybe never, or when he does his next Old West Robbery/murder.