SC woman fatally beaten with bat

CAMDEN, S.C. — A 23-year-old man has been charged in the death of a woman authorities say was abducted from a Chesterfield County store and beaten to death in a random attack.

Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews says a woman in her early 30s was abducted after leaving a convenience store Monday afternoon.

Matthews says the woman was assaulted and driven to Kershaw County, where she was beaten to death with a baseball bat.

Matthews says store surveillance video shows a man harassing the woman. Matthews says authorities used that video to identify a suspect and stopped him near Jefferson. Matthews says the man confessed and told authorities where to find the woman’s body.

The man was being held Tuesday on a murder charge. Names have not been released.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/27/11 - 11:16 am
This is absolutely horrible.

This is absolutely horrible. Unfortunately, convenience stores attract low lifes, I never patronize them in or out of town.

blakkone
blakkone 12/27/11 - 11:21 am
Willow...What?!?!

Willow...What?!?! Convenience stores attract lowlifes??!! You never patronize them?!?! Where do you get gas? I find that comment a little hard to digest...

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 12/27/11 - 11:28 am
I hope that this young man

I hope that this young man gets the counseling that he so desperately needs/deserves. He must have some kind of psychological damage that needs healing. Maybe after some intense counseling, he may be released from confinement to once again become a productive member of society.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/27/11 - 11:31 am
Hey, blakkone, sorry if that

Hey, blakkone, sorry if that offends you. Not everyone of course is a low life in a convenience store, but you've got to admit that many hang out in them or around them. It isn't a place where I feel comfortable as a woman shopping, particularly when alone. (Speaking out of my own bad experiences.) It's really a different experience for a woman. In town, mostly, my husband buys my gas. Alone, out of town, I buy gas at high traffic stations like BP, pay at the pump.

manofsteelbeams
manofsteelbeams 12/27/11 - 11:35 am
On Christmas Eve around 7pm,

On Christmas Eve around 7pm, our car with my wife and three kids broke down in McBee at a Convenience store. There were several gentlemen standing around who were very concerned, helpful, and did everything they could to make us feel comfortable and help us on our way. One man offered us shelter in his home until we could get things sorted out.

There are good, kind-hearted people everywhere in the world, and there are evil people everywhere.

Goodness and Evil know no socio-economic boundaries.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 12/27/11 - 12:04 pm
Fatboyhog, I surely hope you

Fatboyhog, I surely hope you are joking......This thug needs to be taken out and publicly STONED to death, just like in times past. My question is: why is there no mention of the races of either the killer or the victim? I'm going out on a limb and saying it is because the KILLER is black and the victim is a white woman. I'm saying this because if the races were reversed the headline would be screaming that it was a "hate crime". Let's wait and see if the paper publishes this information. How sad though that the victim was not LEGALLY ARMED and could have eliminated this thug with a 9mm to the skull. Be aware America....Be very aware. Evil is among us and is out to get you! Be prepared.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 12/27/11 - 12:15 pm
Just checked WIS TV from

Just checked WIS TV from Columbia for THEIR story on this. Evidently it was not random. The victim phoned her grandmother and told her who was following her and that she was scared of him. He abducted her from the c-store, took her and sexually assaulted her before beating her to death with the bat. The grandmother phoned the police who found the KILLER and he confessed and told them where the body was. Since he confessed, he should be executed by the end of the week. End of problem.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/27/11 - 12:36 pm
Of course, we all can tell a

Of course, we all can tell a story of the kindness of strangers in unlikely places, but it does not change the fact that convenience stores have high foot traffic, and hanger-outers. Not a safe place, particularly for lone women.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/27/11 - 12:38 pm
"lone women", or the Lone

"lone women", or the Lone Ranger for that matter.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/27/11 - 12:43 pm
I feel comfortable at my

I feel comfortable at my local convenience store, I stop there often and many have rules against loitering. The truth is that there are not many safe places anywhere anymore ,but we can't all live in fear because if we do then we are giving the criminals control. I pray for this poor woman's family.

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/27/11 - 01:04 pm
We wouldn’t be having this

We wouldn’t be having this conversation if conservatives would just be reasonable and stop blocking the “Semi-Automatic Assault Bat Ban”.

happychimer
happychimer 12/27/11 - 01:25 pm
I buy gas at a convience

I buy gas at a convience store. I always pay at the pump. I have never felt unsafe when I go inside. Of course, I hardly ever go anywhere after dark. I just like being at home after dark.

Common.sense
Common.sense 12/27/11 - 01:27 pm
Fatboyhog I am not detecting

Fatboyhog I am not detecting any sarcasm in your post. This animal brutally murdered a woman. He doesn't need counseling, he needs a needle in his arm.

blakkone
blakkone 12/27/11 - 02:19 pm
Willow...I can understand

Willow...I can understand your concerns for your safety as a woman out and about all by herself. I think we have differing views on the definition of a "convenience store." I personally view all gas stations where you can walk in and buy food and drink as "convenience" stores. Your view may be different, and I respect that.

allhans
allhans 12/27/11 - 02:22 pm
This is the second time in

This is the second time in the last week that a person has been attacked by a basball bat.!

GaStang22
GaStang22 12/27/11 - 03:28 pm
What I dont get is if she

What I dont get is if she called her grandmother to say she was terrified and being followed why didnt she call 911, lock her doors, drive off, never get out to start with, stay in the store, get an escort to her car, something? To little details in the story. May God Bless this woman in Heaven and damn this piece of trash who killed her for eternity and in the most horrific way.

Ladies, please if you ever think you are being followed, never drive home, never stop your car, go directly to a police station, and do not EVER be afraid to ask for help from security or any other worker or citizen to escort you to your car. I have done it many times and there are always nice gentlemen willing to help protect you as they would never want it on their conscious if something happened, just dont be afraid to ask.....better to be safe than sorry!!!!

rmajor
rmajor 12/27/11 - 03:28 pm
Ok...I don't understand the

Ok...I don't understand the psychology of someone like this...and I guess I am grateful that I don't...this is just amazingly, inhumane....there are no words for things like this...makes me want to throw up....Lord, bless this woman and her family. I don't get it...I don't....

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/27/11 - 03:37 pm
More details

More details :http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/16397367/man-in-custody-after-leading-deputies-to-body

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 12/27/11 - 03:39 pm
Common.sense, it's sarcastic,

Common.sense, it's sarcastic, all right. My original post was along the same lines as No Mercy's, but got deleted by someone other than me...I figured my replacement post wouldn't violate the TOS, since it didn't include any retribution.

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 12/27/11 - 03:42 pm
Gastang22 said,

Gastang22 said, "Common.sense, he always makes excuses and/or wants to give violent criminals with the likeness of this waste of flesh's mugshot a 2nd or 20th chance."...

I hope the "he" that you referring to wasn't me, because I'm the most "eye for an eye" kinda guy that you could ever want to meet. The punishment should fit the crime.

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 12/27/11 - 05:07 pm
GaStang, you must have me

GaStang, you must have me confused with someone else. My pic has never been like the one you describe. It's always been this one. I've never been an apologist. I dislike crime and criminals.

GaStang22
GaStang22 12/27/11 - 05:19 pm
My deepest apology then =) We

My deepest apology then =) We are on the same team then!!! It's gonna bug the heck out of me now!! I'll have to go back through my archives and see who it was!!!!! lmboooo

GaStang22
GaStang22 12/27/11 - 05:22 pm
I will also remove my posts

I will also remove my posts so there is no confusion, my apologies again. =)

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 12/27/11 - 05:37 pm
It's all good, GaStang. I

It's all good, GaStang. I just wanted to set the record straight. I don't want anyone to EVER think that I side with criminals or feel sorry for them. Someone else can try and figure out why they do what they do, but I don't really care. Commit the crime, face the consequences.

Will
Will 12/27/11 - 05:57 pm
Don't fold to Blakkone,

Don't fold to Blakkone, Willow, you're right to start with. Convenience stores are havens for degenerates and the disturbed. The only time I go to them is if I'm packing. Blakkone is trying really hard to make something else out this whole thing. I hope I was able to oblige....

fatboyhog
1987
fatboyhog 12/27/11 - 06:12 pm
I just wonder if this will be

I just wonder if this will be treated as a "hate crime"...

augusta citizen