Job scam costs woman $4,000

Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011 12:52 PM
Last updated 7:45 PM

An Augusta woman told deputies Sunday she lost nearly $4,000 in a job scam.

The 34-year-old victim said she was initially contacted via e-mail late November about a job offer as a customer service evaluator, according to an incident report. After accepting the job, the woman received a check for $3,950 and specific instruction on how to spend it.

She told deputies she followed instructions by spending $100 at Walmart on Bobby Jones Expressway, sending $1,824 to the United Kingdom from Western Union at Publix on Furys Ferry Road and another $1,824 from Kroger on Columbia Road.

The victim was later contacted by a representative at her personal bank who told her the check was fraudulent and the funds would be withdrawn from her account.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/20/11 - 02:05 pm
You accepted the job and

You accepted the job and received a check, then you are instructed on how to spend the money.......didn't a red flag go off?

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 12/20/11 - 02:32 pm
Why, oh, why do people

Why, oh, why do people continue to fall for this stuff?

raul
raul 12/20/11 - 02:40 pm
I don't think I would want

I don't think I would want her working for me.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 12/20/11 - 03:06 pm
She could work, raul, just

She could work, raul, just not be in charge of any money.

rdbike
rdbike 12/20/11 - 05:27 pm
In this economy, desperation

In this economy, desperation can make you do unwise and foolish things in order to keep a roof over your head. I wish this woman luck in over coming this tragic setback in her finances.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/20/11 - 05:58 pm
The United Kingdom bit didn't

The United Kingdom bit didn't throw up a red flag??????

dizzy dictator
dizzy dictator 12/20/11 - 08:45 pm
Not all lost, she should

Not all lost, she should still have $202 left, unless that was used to cover fees?

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 12/20/11 - 11:40 pm
Why didn't she wait for the

Why didn't she wait for the check to clear before spending the money?

allhans
allhans 12/20/11 - 11:53 pm
The employees that sold the

The employees that sold the money orders should have had suspicions.. Don't they know a legitimate transaction from a scam.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 12/21/11 - 12:06 am
She should contact Crime

She should contact Crime Stoppers in the UK. Crime Stoppers International has recovered over 10 Billion in lost, stolen, or defrauded items and cash back to it's owners. She migth even get a reward for tracking down her own theives.

Mac2406
Mac2406 12/21/11 - 10:45 am
It’s saddened that this lady

It’s saddened that this lady was honest in doing the right thing because she thought this was a legitimate company. However, she should have called the bank that issued the check or got a second opinion to see if it was valid. Hope she gets her money back, but I doubt it.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/21/11 - 10:58 am
I am surprised that a bank

I am surprised that a bank gave her the money on the check before it had cleared. My bank holds transactions with checks like that until they do clear, then once they clear, the bank releases the money to you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/21/11 - 11:06 am
Stillamazed, it depends on

Stillamazed, it depends on how much money you have in your account.

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 12/21/11 - 11:49 am
This is a very unfortunate

This is a very unfortunate situation - but people fall for this scam all the time. Especially these days where a good job is very hard to come by.

I get emails like this all the time - and from time to time - I go out of my way to act like I am interested. They usually overnight the fake check over to you (which usually costs in the range of $15-20).

Even though I waste a few minutes of my day - it's well worth it. I realize it's not going to do anything to stop these scumbags, but it still makes me feel a little better knowing that I wasted part of their time and money as well.

ProudAFL
ProudAFL 12/21/11 - 01:01 pm
I was contacted as well via

I was contacted as well via snail mail to my home address which included a $4,800.00 check. Of course its still sitting on my desk. I may need to turn it over to our local authorities.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/22/11 - 10:02 am
Yesterday I received a call

Yesterday I received a call on 2 of my cell phones and on my office phone trying to give you a wireless alarm system. It came from 503-468-5235.
I asked how they got my cell numbers and they hung up. Has to be a scam.