Ga. lawmaker expense tab: $1.3 million

Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011 11:47 AM
Last updated 11:48 AM

ATLANTA — Georgia lawmakers have billed the state more than $1.3 million this year for travel and expenses while the legislature was not in session.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported in Sunday’s editions that even as lawmakers have cut the state budget and eliminated thousands of government jobs they have continued a long-standing practice that pays some more than $15,000 a year in expense money, on top of their $17,000 annual salary.

In the House, the biggest recipients of the payouts were Minority Leader Stacey Abrams, D-Atlanta; Rep. Steven Davis, R-McDonough, and House Speaker David Ralston, R-Blue Ridge.

In the Senate they were: Mitch Seabaugh, R-Sharpsburg, whom Gov. Nathan Deal named as deputy state treasurer in October; Rules Chairman Don Balfour, R-Snellville; and Transportation Chairman Jeff Mullis, R-Chickamauga.

___

cytoranger
cytoranger 12/18/11 - 01:50 pm
Wth are these guys thinking.

Wth are these guys thinking. While I know their salaries are low I also know they get plenty from ill gotten gains. I once knew a state rep now serving time who made tons of ducks while working connections. That should be enough, why burden an already taxed.to death populous for more. Raise up folks and tale our government back. Vote them out and send a message to suRe left. I am sick of this you owe me mentality

cytoranger
cytoranger 12/18/11 - 01:51 pm
I meant those left. Seems

I meant those left. Seems plenty on the right are doing it. Right, left they are all wrong

Haki
Haki 12/18/11 - 02:53 pm
I would have much respect for

I would have much respect for Tea partiers if they were as vocal about these type injustices.

Jake
Jake 12/18/11 - 10:30 pm
What? The majority of them

What? The majority of them are Republicans? How shocking! Keep voting for the party no matter the consequences. Remember, Democrats are evil and responsible for all of the evils in the world. Lots of dumb sheeple in Georgia.

Chillen
Chillen 12/18/11 - 11:25 pm
A couple of thoughts. 1.

A couple of thoughts.

1. They will continue to spend without fear because no one will do anything about it.
2. They are laughing at this article.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/19/11 - 09:11 am
Cytoranger, while $32,000.00

Cytoranger, while $32,000.00 including the allowances seems low, I am sure the majority of them have other sources of income as well. Shame on all of them....you are correct chillen. If we think this is shocking try looking at what the ones in Washington spend on this same type of thing. This is just a drop in the bucket compared to Washington's allowances. Both parties are corrupt as they can be and it is them who are ruining America, then they expect us to kill ourselves working and paying higher taxes to fix it, what a joke.......This is the 3rd year in a row with no pay raise for me yet I am paying more for everything. I am blessed to have a job don't get me wrong, but I am sick of paying all these high prices and more taxes every time I turn around and never getting a raise.

irishfarmer
irishfarmer 12/19/11 - 01:01 pm
Just one more reason to elect

Just one more reason to elect someone like B.B. Langham over Hardie Davis in 2012. Wonder what amount he has billed the state for this year.

HotDiva01
HotDiva01 12/19/11 - 01:14 pm
Irishfarmer: I agree with you

Irishfarmer:

I agree with you 100%. Hopefully independent voters will fall behind republican B.B. Langham and put out the joke of a sate senator theat we have elected @ this moment. It is time for real leadership to represent Augusta not the current joke we have now in Sen. Hardie Davis.