Tim Tebow has beer named for him

Saturday, Dec. 17, 2011 4:23 AM
Last updated 4:14 PM

Every step along the way, Tim Tebow only seems to attract more attention than he did at the last step. From Nease High School in Jacksonville to the University of Florida and now to the Denver Broncos.

Now finally, Tebow, the most talked about person in sports, has a beer named after him, even though he doesn't drink.

Bonfire Brewing in Colorado is introducing Tebrew, a righteously strong barleywine ale. Some have suggested that it tastes pretty lousy for the first three quarters of the glass or so, but gets magically wonderful in that final quarter.

One glass and you're down on bended knee?

The brewery only made 150 gallons of it. It's only to be available at its taproom in Eagle, Colo., this Sunday, right about the time Tebow and the Broncos take on the New England Patriots.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/17/11 - 08:05 am
Just another slap in the face

Just another slap in the face of God. Can't stand that a man is trying to be righteous before God, doing the right thing, so lets just make fun of him. I hope the brew makes everyone who drinks it so sick they're the one's on bended knees, right in front of a porcelain throne.

Techfan
Techfan 12/17/11 - 08:58 am
Nice "christian" attitude

Nice "christian" attitude there ICL.

etlinks
19872
etlinks 12/17/11 - 09:00 am
I agree ICL, why is Tebow

I agree ICL, why is Tebow receiving all these negative reactions. Hard nose football and taking a knee or pointing to the sky after a score has been going on for years.

wmarkw
wmarkw 12/17/11 - 09:00 am
Go have a drink ICL! Are you

Go have a drink ICL! Are you getting your picket signs ready for Grovetown on Sunday? lol

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 12/17/11 - 09:09 am
I agree with ICL. People

I agree with ICL. People make derogatory remarks and seek to ban public displays that portray Christianity, and we are just expected to take it on the chin and accept it. But let us make a derogatory remark and we get our "christian attitude" criticized.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 12/17/11 - 09:12 am
Don't forget, concerned, that

Don't forget, concerned, that if you "mocked" another well-known religion, there would be all kinds of outcry! It's okay to blast Christians, but we need to play nice with other religions.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/17/11 - 09:43 am
Tebow is right where God

Tebow is right where God wants him. The more people make fun of him, the more God is talked about and we can be certain that He uses both good and evil for His own good purposes. Many would be wise to consider that when coming face to face with Christ, it is too late to get ready for the meeting. Today is going to be the meeting day of many, some will be prepared and some will not.

curly123053
curly123053 12/17/11 - 09:45 am
God does not like being

God does not like being mocked, and the Bible tells me so. God has His way of extracting justice, in His own time!!

Dan White 12/17/11 - 10:04 am
"Tim Tebow now has his own

"Tim Tebow now has his own beer." The headline is misleading. Better headline: "Tim Tebow has beer named for him." Tebow can take the heat from a 300 pound lineman and can take the heat for mocking his Christian faith and testimony. Christ himself was mocked and spit upon, but I've read the Book of Revelation. In the end, Christ wins. From what I read, Tebow's influence has had a profound effect for good on the Broncos team as he did when he played at Florida. His critics remind me of my grandfather's yard dogs barking and snapping like they were going to stop a car driving up to his farm house.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 12/17/11 - 10:06 am
Just to echo Willow Bailey,

Just to echo Willow Bailey, isn't it interesting that the negative publicity is actually drawing attention to the positive impacts of religious faith?

As an aside, I got "my fill" of Tebow, Tebow, Tebow when he was at Florida (I'm a Dawg fan); but as I learned more about him as a person, I'm now a big fan. I appreciate people who've reached "star" status, but still are well grounded, humble people.

alumna
alumna 12/17/11 - 10:36 am
I don't see this as an

I don't see this as an insult, guys. People have been drinking beer while watching football since football was instituted as a sport, and I think they just created this beer as a tribute to a great football player. It's only available in a single brewpub. I'm sure glasses will be raised in Tebow's honor throughout the game, just as Jesus raised his glass and drank to the newly married couple at the wedding of Cana (in which he CREATED the wine).

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 12/17/11 - 10:57 am
Tebow is being mocked because

Tebow is being mocked because his high moral standards are in stark contrast to the far lower moral standards of most people. His stand is intimidating and sheds light on the more lax standards of others. Therefore, rather than raise their own standards, they choose to bring Tebow down to their level by mocking and insulting. Standard procedure.

Just like the Bible tells us, those in darkness hate the light because it shows the darkness for what it truly is.

I hope Tebow can remain strong and faithful. Like all of us, his is not perfect. But, if the press gets a whiff of even one moral slip-up, it will be frontpage, national news. His every action and word are being scrutinized, as the modern culture that hates his lifestyle is seeking to bring him down ASAP.

my.voice
my.voice 12/17/11 - 10:55 am
Poor choice of article title

Poor choice of article title AC.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/17/11 - 12:16 pm
Techfan, it's a shame all of

Techfan, it's a shame all of us can't be as perfect as yourself and wmarkw, why in the world would I have picket signs for Grovetown on Sunday? I'll be in church worshiping my Lord, praying for those who aren't there. If this is in reference to Grovetown selling beer and wine on Sunday, it doesn't effect me, I don't live there. I don't agree with it, but evidently the people of Grovetown did. Such a nasty comment when you don't even know me......typical.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/17/11 - 12:27 pm
alumna, where in the bible

alumna, where in the bible does it state that Jesus drank wine or raise a glass in honor of the newley married couple at the wedding in Cana? I believe if you would do some studying of the word wine in the Hebrew and Greek you would discover that the alcohol so many consume today is stronger than the wine Jesus made or even the wine the disciples partook at the Lord's Supper. Although the bible does not forbid drinking of wine, it does command us to obstain from strong drink which is what beer, wine, and liquor is considered today.

nathan_jenks
nathan_jenks 12/17/11 - 01:08 pm
This is funny. Why do people

This is funny. Why do people get so sensitive about Tim Tebow? People will make fun of Tim Tebow the same way they make fun of other celebrities. To me, it is ridiculous to hear people make every jab at Tebow to be an attack on Christianity. Even if that was the case, Jesus never complained or cried about being ridiculed. I am a follower of Jesus and frankly there is no command in the Bible that forbids the consumption of alcohol. There are proverbs that question the wisdom of drinking in excess and being addicted to alcohol. Paul commands us to not be drunk with wine which is excessive. He seemed to prefer moderation in everything, not just alcoholic beverages. The overall sentiment of my comment is that it is okay to laugh about things instead of being so sensitive.

Dan White 12/17/11 - 02:10 pm
Tribute to Teebow and

Tribute to Teebow and Teebowing across the nation. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

High School students in New York were suspended for Teebowing in the hall. Now, they and others are protesting outside the school.

A drug sniffing dog at the Orlando airport named Teebow in honor of Tim Teebow sniffed out cocaine. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/12/17/tebow-sniffs-out-cocaine-in-suitcas...

Teebow is a national phenomenon. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/17/11 - 02:06 pm
What you missed nathan, is

What you missed nathan, is that if it's okay to poke fun, it's also okay for others to say your fun isn't funny to me. God isn't funny to me, He is deserving of my love, respect , honor and worship. More often than not, evil is subtle, not overt. It just kind of sneaks up on us a tiny bit at the time.

alumna
alumna 12/17/11 - 02:36 pm
InChristLove, I'm glad you

InChristLove, I'm glad you asked about my study of scripture and scriptural history. I will tell you what I've learned through my study of anthropology of ancient Jewish faith and culture and of the bible, specifically about what I mentioned earlier, about Jesus raising his glass to the bride and groom. According to my research of ancient Jewish and Greek tradition, those who presented wine in the time of Jesus would raise their glass and drink first in order to prove that it is not poisoned ( in that period of time, those who presented wine were often doing so in order to poison the recipient). The governor of the wedding at Cana (we would now call him the Maitre 'd of a feast) tasted the wine, of which there was at least 120 gallons and possibly as much as 180 gallons (as mentioned in John 2: 1-11; specifically 6 jars holding 2-3 firkins. A firkin is approximately 10 gallons). The governor of the feast said to the bridegroom, "You have saved the best wine for last!" We are able to conclude from the aforementioned scripture that the best wine would have been both delicious and of generous alcohol content -- such that the second procurement of wine would just serve to keep the wedding guests in very festive and exuberant spirits and not necessarily need to be tasty. I am not suggesting that Jesus would have become intoxicated, for there is certainly no scriptural or anthropologic evidence to this, but he would have taken part in the traditional Jewish custom of celebrating the couple as any other male Jewish guest would have done.

allhans
allhans 12/17/11 - 03:11 pm
.He

.He

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/17/11 - 04:10 pm
Alumna, We can not assume

Alumna, We can not assume that when the master of ceremony called it "the best wine" does not necessarily mean stronger in strength. In New Testament times, the best wines were those whose alchoholic potency had been removed by boiling or filtration which became more pleasant to drink. The wine Christ made was of higher quality because it was "new wine, freshly made". In view of the amount of intoxicating wine the wedding party had already partaken in, it is highly unlikely that the Son of God would produce 120 to 160 gallons of highly intoxicating wine for the men, women, and children, out of moral responsibility for them. If He commands that drunkeness is a sin, He would not have produce the product that would cause these men to sin. The wine which Christ provided for the feast, and that which He gave to the disciples as a symbol of His own blood, was the pure juice of the grape which is described in Isaiah and considered a blessing.

No where in my research have I read where all jewish guest must partake of wine in celebrating the marriage couple. It does mention the master of ceremony drinks of the wine first and then after the meal there are two cups of wine involved in the formal Birkat HaMazon. The first cup of wine is held by the one who leads the Birkat HaMazon, and after the Grace has concluded, the second cup is passed around to the individuals who are honored with reciting six of the seven Sheva Brachot. The leader then recites the blessing over the wine, the seventh blessing. After the seven blessings are completed, the two cups of wine are blended together and divided among the bride, groom and leader to drink.

We are not able to conclude from scripture that the best wine would have been of generous alcohol content but that it was of good quality which could simply mean it's taste was superior. Doesn't surprise me, every thing God does is superior!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/17/11 - 04:18 pm
Alumna, I found that very

Alumna, I found that very interesting. Thanks for sharing your history studies with us.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/17/11 - 04:26 pm
I just saw ICL's comment and

I just saw ICL's comment and I get her sentiment. What most of us agree on is Jesus, Christians and Jews throughout history have probably drank lots of alcohol. But at the same time Jesus, other Christians and Jews condemn drunkenness. That's what most of us believe in my opinion.

It could be they had a Breathalyzer of sorts back then and if you were riding a Camel or were at a Last Supper of any kind and blew over .08 you went straight to Hades.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/17/11 - 06:35 pm
Riverman1, I really don't

Riverman1, I really don't find your estimation funny or accurate but it is just your opinion, agreed. Alumna may have shared his/her studies but does what all of us do, start guessing and assuming what the scriptures say, therefore, his or her facts become opinions.

No where in scripture does it say that the wine at the Lord's Supper or the wine at the wedding of Cana in which Jesus performed his first miracle was "strong drink".

Jake
Jake 12/17/11 - 09:37 pm
Why drink wine if it doesn't

Why drink wine if it doesn't have alcohol? That is what makes wine, wine. If you want grape juice then drink that and call it juice, which is what it is. I love reading how the fundamentalists try to explain away the alcohol aspect of wine at the Cana wedding feast.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/17/11 - 10:08 pm
ICL said, "As clarification,

ICL said, "As clarification, even if you went over .08 riding a camel from the Last Supper, it's not what sends you straight to Hades."

Well, I guess you could be thinking evil things while riding the camel, too. So the .08, plus evil thoughts may be enough to put you over the Hades limit when they are combined. It would be h... if you were given the field sobriety-evil thoughts test and failed.

But some times using the Lord's name in differing contexts it's debatable whether it's a good thing or not. I mean if I scream Oh God during some things it's understandable. Matter of fact, some things without an Oh God on the end of them would be impossible. It's kind of like having a cigarette afterwards when I used to smoke.

But John 2:6-11 says a lot. I believe if Jesus came to the party today he would turn some cans of pork 'n beans into Budweiser because wine may be too strong for some of us modern weaklings. Maybe we would keep a few cans of pork 'n beans out of the deal so we would have something to munch on it as we drank the Buds with Jesus. With the beer and pork 'n beans we might even entertain Jesus doing some of those things like in the beef jerky Sasquatch commerical. You know how guys can be when they get a little booze in them.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/17/11 - 10:34 pm
Jake, no one is trying to

Jake, no one is trying to explain away the alchohol aspect of wine. I have stated before in other articles that the wine in biblical times was not the same concentration as the wine we know today. It was very diluted. The Hebrew word "tirosh" meant new wine or sweet wine, the first drippings of the juice. "Shekar" which meant strong drink with intoxicating powers. If Christ warns us that wine is a mocker and strong drink makes us a fool, it would stand to reason that in both cases, the wedding and the Last Supper, the wine would have been the fruit of the vine. What we today consider wine, is not the same quality or strength of the drink refered to in biblical times. And that's not a fundamentalist trying to explain away anything, it's just scripture truth.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/17/11 - 10:39 pm
Jake, you didn't read the

Jake, you didn't read the verses carefully. It said he turned the water into Kool-aid. That kind of makes sense actually. They brought him the urns full of water. He could have just dropped in a few packs of grape Kool-aid.

Dipshot
Dipshot 12/17/11 - 10:40 pm
OK, he may be a great

OK, he may be a great football player and all, but I'm frankly getting tired of hearing about Tebow. So he can throw a football.. good for him.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/17/11 - 10:40 pm
Riverman1, I have no clue

Riverman1, I have no clue what you are taking about in your 9:08pm post. Seems maybe you've been dipping into the "strong drink". Just so you know and now you will be held accountable, the only thing that will send you to hell is rejecting the Lord as your Savior. Now that you know, you have a choice to make and can not claim ignorance any longer.

As for your pork-n-beans, don't think Jesus would be turning beans into beer for ya. He says to avoid strong drink which is what beer is, so looks like you'll have to look else where for your refreshement and drinking companion.