Car pileup stalls I-20 traffic in Columbia County

A four-vehicle pileup on westbound Interstate 20 near the Belair Road exit stalled traffic for about an hour Thursday evening. Three people were taken to area hospitals with injuries, said Cpl. Christopher Wright of the Georgia State Patrol.

The accident occurred about 5:44 p.m. when the driver of a Chevrolet Silverado, Adam Morris, reportedly reached for his cellphone, Wright said. Morris was charged with following too closely.

The other vehicles involved were a Ford pickup driven by John Hymer Jr., of Martinez; a Toyota Echo driven by Jordan Elizabeth Carter, of Evans; and a Hyundai Sonata driven by Atlanta resident Brian Westbrooks.

The wreck has since been cleared.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/15/11 - 08:57 pm
And the cell phone comes up

And the cell phone comes up in the accident report !!!

johnette4
johnette4 12/15/11 - 10:17 pm
I will be so happy when

I will be so happy when southern states join the rest of the USA and ban cell phone use while driving!! This would be a good profit for the state budget. I just moved here from a state where talking and driving is against the law and could easily net drivers $150 fines (minimally)n in addition. I see so many driving cell phone users who don't drive well..my conclusion is to keep my car insurance and lawsuit lawyer on speed dial the way Ga is heading!!

david jennings
david jennings 12/16/11 - 07:05 am
I can't figure why people

I can't figure why people follow so close. I believe by allowing a little distance from the vehicle in front decreases the chance of being involved in an accident. Is a couple of car lengths (40') worth the headache?

truthisstillhere
truthisstillhere 12/16/11 - 08:07 am
If you leave that distance

If you leave that distance then people who are so impatient to be that one more car further up the road are then cutting you off and cutting right in front of you in that space to try and get ahead of someone else. You wind up just having to slam on your brakes anyway because they have to be idiots. A safe driver just can't win no matter what.

tckr1983
tckr1983 12/16/11 - 08:15 am

I guess the "rest of the USA" means 9 states now for handheld cell phones... or zero states if you mean all cell phone use, as it simply isn't law.

It's just like certain people wanting to ban guns... Be careful what liberties you let the government take from you, you'll never get them back. He was "reaching for it", the article didn't say he was talking on it... it could've fallen down. What all has fallen in your car during your driving career? I'm guessing everything from Christmas gifts to lunch...

Gonna band eating and drinking too? Pets in the car? Talking to the person in your passenger seat? All are just as distracting as talking on the cell phone. It's dangerous riding in a car... slow down, back off and reach for something like that at a red light or pull over. Problem solved.

gnatman1102
gnatman1102 12/16/11 - 08:40 am
Truthisstillhere: I had to

Truthisstillhere: I had to respond to your comment about impatient drivers cutting into the space you leave. If you are driving at a consistent speed and maintaining a consistent space in front, it's you that perceives it as a problem. If you are having to slam breaks each time a driver enters the space, you may actually be accelerating to keep the other driver from entering that space. This forces you to have to break when the other driver cuts into the space. From my perspective, the CSRA is in the top 10 in the USA of drivers tryi.ng to close gaps in traffic to keep others out of the space in front. My wife moved here from Houston, TX, but travels as a flight attendant. So, she can compare to other cities. In her opinion, the CSRA has the meanest drivers. She is much more scared to drive here than anywhere else.

Instead, keep the space or even increase it and let the aggressive driver have. If the speed is consistent, you may not have to break at all.

PJS
PJS 12/16/11 - 09:06 am
What really burns my cookies

What really burns my cookies are drivers who do not acknowledge a good deed done. A simple wave when you DO allow somebody into the flow of traffic or pass through would be nice. Oh, but wait, while talking that would mean taking both hands off the wheel.

rx7turbo
rx7turbo 12/16/11 - 09:09 am
gnatman1102: It's brake, not

gnatman1102: It's brake, not break. An easy way to remember this is: If a driver brakes a vehicle, it should be able to start moving again. If a driver breaks a vehicle, it probably won't be able to start moving again without fixing it first.
Now as for the gaps. If you are at a normal safe following distance and someone gets over into that gap, you are no longer at a safe following distance and so must brake, or at least ease off of the accelerator, to maintain a safe distance. If there isn't a big enough gap for you to get over and have a safe distance in front of and behind you, don't get over. It's folks being inattentive and inconsiderate of others that cause problems from accidents to road rage to traffice backups.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/16/11 - 09:40 am
I took up drag racing at 15

I took up drag racing at 15 in South Carolina. I could draft on top end runs like a Nascar driver. After school we would go back out to the old highway and burn our tires up until we ran out of gas almost. Southern people are more skilled drivers even if we use some of our old tricks now and then like a ticked off Kyle Busch.

David Parker
David Parker 12/16/11 - 03:22 pm
just a good ole boy neva

just a good ole boy
neva meanin no harm
someday the mt migh get'm but the law neva will.

madgerman
madgerman 12/16/11 - 05:51 pm
Sometimes traffic is so

Sometimes traffic is so strung out (espacially over in SC) that a person has to wait forever to make a left turn. I think the best advice is stay right and never take your eyes off the car in front and check your rear view mirror to see if you are creating a bottle neck for traffic. One final note is never pass on the right unless it is an emergency because most cars don't have their mirrors adjusted to see you and a lot of them make turns from the left lanes.

December pet adoptions fall at Augusta shelter

After peaking at 120 adoptions in 2011, December has fallen from its spot as the most popular pet adoption month at Augusta Animal Services.