Evans wreck kills Grovetown man

Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011 8:15 AM
Last updated 8:16 AM

One man was killed today in an early morning single-vehicle crash in Evans.

Arlie Joseph Allen, 20, of Grovetown, was pronounced dead around 2 a.m. by Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison.

Allen, a student at Georgia Military College, was driving a 2001 Ford F-250 pickup south on Hereford Farm Road when he apparently lost control, possibly by running off the shoulder and over-correcting, Garrison said.

Allen’s truck slammed into a utility pole at Calloway Road Extension. He died instantly from multiple body and head trauma, Garrison said, adding it was unclear whether Allen had been wearing a seat belt.

Allen was the vehicle’s only occupant. Toxicology tests will be performed by the GBI crime lab, Garrison said.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/14/11 - 10:50 am
Prayers to this young mans

Prayers to this young mans family.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/14/11 - 10:55 am
Very sad, prayers to his

Very sad, prayers to his family.

arh08
arh08 12/14/11 - 01:36 pm
I was not super close to A.J

I was not super close to A.J allen. (arlie allen) but i did know him. we met through mutral friends and i saw him every day at GMC. he always had a smile on his face and went out of his way to speak every morning. I always saw him laughing and cutting up with friends. Arlie did did not have an enemie. He always gave the best compliments and never said anything negative about anyone. I ask that everyone keeps his friends and family that lost such a wonderful person, especially this close to a holiday. Thank you!

arh08
arh08 12/14/11 - 01:36 pm
in their thoughts and

in their thoughts and prayers***

sabinemac
sabinemac 12/14/11 - 01:40 pm
My Prayers to his entire

My Prayers to his entire family. He was the only child and grandchild. So hard for me to swallow this just knowing I knew him since he was 8 and I just converse with him yesterday. This was one is going to be hard.

merck
merck 12/14/11 - 02:28 pm
My prayers go out to Arlie's

My prayers go out to Arlie's family at this difficult time. May you rest in peace with our heavenly father. I went to GMC with Arlie and he was in my Bio-123 class last quarter. He was such an amazing young man who always gave me a reason to smile when he was around. Anyone who knew him would say the same. He had such an outgoing fun-loving personality, just a sweet spirit about him. May God be with all who knew him and loved him through this horrific time, and may all the wonderful memories of Arlie bring joy and comfort in the days, months, and years ahead. God Bless his family.

whyme
whyme 12/14/11 - 03:30 pm

Thank you writers for finally getting it right: only messages of sympathy and remembrances to those who knew this young man, even if the family never reads it. Others who knew him obviously do. Keep up the good work.