62-year-old dies after being hit by soldier's car at Fort Gordon

Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2011 2:45 PM
Last updated 3:19 PM

A civilian was killed Monday afternoon at Fort Gordon when a soldier lost control of his vehicle and ran over him, according to a news release.

The wreck occurred about 2:30 p.m. when an Army specialist westbound on Chamberlain Avenue veered over the right-side curb, then into oncoming traffic, where he hit another vehicle. After that collision, the soldier’s car left the road and crossed the sidewalk, where it hit the victim, who was trying to run out of the vehicle’s path.

Fort Gordon paramedics performed CPR on the victim before taking him to Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 3:20 p.m. The 62-year-old man was a Department of Defense civilian employee.

Post spokesman Buz Yarnell said he could not release the names of those involved in the wreck. Richmond County Coroner Grover Tuten said his office was not involved in identifying the victim. The Department of Defense would not identify him Tuesday.

The two soldiers in the vehicle were treated for nonlife-threatening injuries. The wreck is under investigation by the Army’s Criminal Investigation Division.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/13/11 - 04:03 pm
Prayers to his family.

Prayers to his family.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/13/11 - 06:27 pm
Very sad, prayers to the

Very sad, prayers to the family.

raul
raul 12/13/11 - 10:31 pm
No name yet? I worked out

No name yet? I worked out there for several years, and would like to know if I knew the individual. Have they notified the next of kin?

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/14/11 - 07:24 am
The speed limit is so

The speed limit is so strictly enforced on the fort this seems bizarre. There are MP's everywhere writing tickets for anything over the very low speed limits.

confusedchik
confusedchik 12/14/11 - 09:46 am
But Riverman1, did you ever

But Riverman1, did you ever think speed isnt always the reason why someone gets in an accident?

sillyrabbit
sillyrabbit 12/14/11 - 10:48 am
I work on base and from what

I work on base and from what I've heard either the soldier driving or another vehicle's wheel bearing or something suddenly broke causing an unfortunate chain of events ... very sad for all involved. Keep all in your prayers.

raul
raul 12/14/11 - 11:52 am
Well, I guess I will just

Well, I guess I will just check the obituary section since nothing seems to be forthcoming on his identity. A young man is killed in an auto accident in Evans this morning at 2a.m. and the name was in the paper by 8 a.m.