Gun discharges in carry-on bag at Atlanta airport

ATLANTA  — Security officials say a gun discharged inside a carry-on bag as workers handled it at Atlanta's airport.

Transportation Security Administration spokeswoman Carrie Harmon tells Fox 5 Atlanta the gun was discovered in a carry-on bag around 9 a.m. Sunday during the X-ray screening process.

TSA officials say they notified Atlanta police of the gun, and a small-caliber round was discharged inside the carry-on bag while officers were handling it.

Authorities say the shot was contained to the bag, and no one was injured.

Officials said the passenger who brought the bag into security was taken into custody. Details about the passenger were not released.

Authorities say the gun discharged at the main security checkpoint at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the world's busiest airport.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/12/11 - 08:31 am
I bet that had folks

I bet that had folks scrambling....diving....& how can you contain a bullet inside of the bag??

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/12/11 - 08:38 am
Thats one heck of a bag.

Thats one heck of a bag.

mc
mc 12/12/11 - 09:11 am
Probably hit something in the

Probably hit something in the bag. A book or something the bullet couldn't go through.

stillamazed
stillamazed 12/12/11 - 09:15 am
People complain about the

People complain about the searches they perform but I could care less. Just keeping people safe is all that matters to me and you never know what type of person could be trying to carry things like this, even elderly people. No one can be trusted these days.....sure glad they caught the person.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 12/12/11 - 09:38 am
stillamazed I so agree with

stillamazed I so agree with you. I had to go through one of the full body scans. Didn't bother me I heard some people complaining about it. If it keeps my butt in the air and I am able to get back to the ground in one piece I am happy.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/12/11 - 10:17 am
Wow, can't believe the

Wow, can't believe the passenger thought they would get away with having it.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/12/11 - 11:27 am
Sounds like we must outlaw

Sounds like we must outlaw carry on bags.

fftaz71
fftaz71 12/12/11 - 12:20 pm
I agree with stillamazed...we

I agree with stillamazed...we complain about the security, but our country is still lax compared to other countries. Id much rather be safe than sorry...

wsm141
wsm141 12/12/11 - 01:25 pm
@fftaz71 I'm curious as to

@fftaz71 I'm curious as to how the security rules in other countries are more stringent? Do you travel abroad? I traveled to Europe twice this year and security there is nothing compared to the US. Here shoes, belts computers, pretty much your entire persons is examined. In Europe all you do is remove heavy coat shirts or jackets and belt due to metal buckles. Otherwise pack it all in the tub and you good. Shoes are not removed either.

grouse
grouse 12/12/11 - 01:57 pm
Well, old Ben had it right

Well, old Ben had it right regarding safety and liberty. Statistically speaking, the number of incidents are minuscule compared to the number of the flying public who are inconvenienced. Again, statistically, the fallout from 9/11 is grossly disproportional to number of people who committed the acts and to the number of people who (tragically, of course) died compared to the flying public affected. Oddly, more people die from car accidents each year, yet there are no similar draconian restrictions placed on the driving public...

Taylor B
Taylor B 12/12/11 - 02:16 pm
Good post grouse.

Good post grouse.

bdouglas
bdouglas 12/12/11 - 03:31 pm
@wsm141: That's because our

@wsm141: That's because our legislative system is a reactive one and not a proactive one. Laws only get passed after people die. Let something as deadly as 9/11 happen in Europe now that has such a seemingly easy 'fix' like adding more transportation security and see how quickly things change there, too.

burninater
burninater 12/12/11 - 04:00 pm
wsm, I was in Spain recently

wsm, I was in Spain recently -- they scanned computers, they have liquid restrictions, and you have to take off shoes if they are big enough (I think over the ankle). They also X-ray everything going onto trains (but not subways). Madrid had K9 units on their subways. The absence of full-body scans may be a reflection of how much more difficult it is to acquire and possess a concealable firearm there.

burninater
burninater 12/12/11 - 04:07 pm
On the other hand, the

On the other hand, the absence of full-body scans may be a function of the lack of American manufacturers employing former govt officials to lobby for their use ...

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 12/12/11 - 04:26 pm
I wonder what happened to the

I wonder what happened to the officer who was careless to the point of firing the gun. Guns only fire when the trigger is pulled and this was very neglegent of the officer (TSA, APD?).

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 12/12/11 - 05:12 pm
"A small caliber round was

"A small caliber round was discharged inside the bag while the officers were handling it........"???

ROFL.................Barney Fife rides again!!

Don't worry folks, we're in good hands..........

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/12/11 - 09:30 pm
"I wonder what happened to

"I wonder what happened to the officer who was careless to the point of firing the gun."

Hmmmm, if he was TSA, probably promoted and given a pay bump for something like, "...Bravely reacting to gunfire in the terminal which put the lives of passengers in jeopardy."

Natural reaction, though; he felt an opening and put in his finger.

Gordon
Gordon 12/13/11 - 12:49 pm
"Guns only fire when the

"Guns only fire when the trigger is pulled and this was very neglegent of the officer (TSA, APD?)"

This is not true. A gun can fire when it's hammer gets snagged on something then releases.

According to AJC.com "This is the 67th gun TSA agents have discovered this year at Hartsfield security checkpoints, TSA spokesman Jonathan Allen said."

There are plenty of idiots out there.