Nude teacher photos sent to Ga. student

Thursday, Dec. 8, 2011 7:03 AM
Last updated 7:07 AM

WATKINSVILLE, Ga. -- A 24-year-old North Oconee High School teacher’s aide sent nude pictures of himself to a female student which led to his arrest Wednesday, Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry said.

Wetzel  Morris News Service
Morris News Service
Wetzel

Jeremy Wetzel, who lives on Clotfelter Road in Bogart, was charged with child molestation under a code that deals with sending electronic images of a sexual nature, according to Berry. Wetzel is in jail without bond.

Investigators have evidence that Wetzel sent images to the student through email and text message over the past 45 days, Berry said. Authorities found no evidence of physical contact between the suspect and victim, Berry said.

The student told a friend about the pictures, and the friend reported the matter to school officials, Berry said.

Wetzel, employed as a paraprofessional since July 2010 at the school, was fired, said Brook Whitmire, assistant superintendent for Human Resources with the Oconee County School System.

North Oconee officials learned Wednesday of the “extremely inappropriate conduct on the part of this employee toward a student. It was investigated immediately and found to have merit,” Whitmire said.

Berry would not say if the student was in Wetzel’s classroom.

“Within an hour of us finding out about this we had him in custody,” Berry said.

Investigators were preparing search warrants Wednesday afternoon. Berry refused to say where investigators would be searching. However, he said they have already seized evidence in the case.

“We have text messages between him and the victim as well, but I won’t go into the nature of it,” he said.

Prior to being hired as a paraprofessional, Wetzel had worked as a substitute teacher since 2009.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 12/08/11 - 08:31 am
What a moron.

What a moron.

rmajor
rmajor 12/08/11 - 09:12 am
What a blessing that this

What a blessing that this dysfunctional, person is no longer around our children.....It is so easy for sexual perverts to get to our children. I really don't understand what kind of background checks they go through in different organizations. I guess also, sometimes, this may be the first time they get caught, so even the background check doesn't reveal anything (like the demon, maintenance worker that killed that seven year old angel in Atlanta. He didn't have any kind of criminal record and he is a killer and child molestor). I researched so much, and these people seek jobs and they know how to manipulate adults to get close to kids. Judges, teachers, pediatricians, clergy, next door neighbors. Parents just have to be vigilant. Some call it paranoid...I call it reality, because this is now the kind of world we live in.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/08/11 - 09:54 am
The is one more reason that I

The is one more reason that I am not in favor to corporal punishment.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 12/08/11 - 11:16 am
Teacher photos? Try

Teacher photos?

Try teacher's aide photos.

my.voice
my.voice 12/08/11 - 01:40 pm
See you in 30 years!

See you in 30 years!

whyme
whyme 12/08/11 - 02:06 pm
I agree with most all of what

I agree with most all of what has been posted already. I do think though that this guy, wrong and punishable as it should be, may not necessarily be a pedophile who gets a thrill out of being with young children and all that that entails. He just sounds like a young guy with extremely poor judgment who hooked up with some teenager and downhill things have gone as well that they should. I have neighbors who have to know that their teenage daughter is sleeping with at least one guy in his twenties; heck, if I know it I hope that they do....I don't think this guy is in a position of authority but a lot of people don't have a problem with their kids dating "older"guys. I know another girl who was a senior, age 17, dating a 22 year old. Remember that the article omits a whole lot of stuff but no matter what, you can't be messing with your students.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/08/11 - 02:20 pm
whyme... really? You know

whyme... really? You know that a teen is sleeping with a 20 something year old and you haven't called the police? You hope the parents know? You've stood by and done nothing and said nothing about it? You are just as guilty as the guy. NOTIFY THE AUTHORITIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitchfork-Ben-Thurmond61
Pitchfork-Ben-Thurmond61 12/08/11 - 05:11 pm
Sick sick sick and sad in

Sick sick sick and sad in this sin sick world . For me my family and church another reason to NOT NOT NOT do goverment schools and home school. Gods laws and mans laws are still on the books outlawing preversion but librel judges dont let the law be enforced right . Firing up ol sparky for an electric ride mite en be too good for this feller. Them things didnt happen when we had good schools and Bible study and pray like in the olden days.

museofsatie
museofsatie 12/08/11 - 09:08 pm
Teachers shouldn't be messing

Teachers shouldn't be messing around with students. At all. That being said, I agree with what whyme said, based on the story SO FAR. More details could come out that might very well show this guy to be a predator. But, right now, he just seems like an idiot who needs to be fired.

There is a major difference between a 24 year-old teacher sending nude photos/messing around/flirting with an elementary or middle school-aged child and a 24 year-old teacher doing similar things with a high schooler (I'm largely talking about juniors and seniors). The former is an indication of a person who should never be allowed around children, at all, and should obviously not be allowed to continue teaching. The latter is an indication of a person who should not be allowed to teach because said teacher obviously doesn't know that his job comes with certain responsibilities and restrictions that cannot be compromised.

Fatality highlights golf cart safety

Erin Hutchison, whose mother has driven a golf cart for a decade, described the vehicles as “relaxing,” but the recent death of a young girl in Aiken has raised awareness of the danger they ...