SC teacher arrested for spankings

Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2011 1:19 PM
Last updated 1:20 PM

LAKE WYLIE, S.C. — A South Carolina middle school teacher has turned himself in to authorities to face assault and battery charges after he was accused of spanking three students.

Forty-eight-year-old Chris Petrasek turned himself in to sheriff’s deputies late Wednesday morning. Petrasek is a seventh-grade math teacher at Oakridge Middle School in Lake Wylie.

The students said they were spanked for getting a low grade, missing a question or talking out of turn.

The boys say they were spanked between September and November.

Petrasek also coached wrestling at the school. He’s been on leave since Nov. 22. Petrasek had worked in the Clover school district since 2007. Lake Wylie is about 85 miles north of Columbia.

harley_52
harley_52 12/07/11 - 02:44 pm
The Article says "The area’s

The Article says "The area’s schools have a policy against using corporal punishment or any physical force to discipline students."

Then the guilty ones are the School Board members who developed and approved such a foolish policy.

Mr. Petrasek should be promoted.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/07/11 - 03:06 pm
harley?:)

harley?:)

harley_52
harley_52 12/07/11 - 03:11 pm
Hey Willow. Mention

Hey Willow. Mention spanking, and look who shows up. :)

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 12/07/11 - 03:22 pm
So they said it was a policy

So they said it was a policy violation, so how was the law broken? I agree if the parents would spank these heathens the teacher wouldn't have to!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/07/11 - 03:31 pm
Hey harley. Not going to

Hey harley. Not going to get in on it, accept to say again, can we start with the adults? Whup the baby daddy, the baby mama and then the baby.

YeCats
YeCats 12/07/11 - 03:59 pm
......the last hope for state

......the last hope for state education. Put the "P" word back in schools.

harley_52
harley_52 12/07/11 - 04:15 pm
Willow Bailey said "Whup the

Willow Bailey said "Whup the baby daddy, the baby mama and then the baby."

With a program like that, whupping the baby will most likely not be necessary.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/07/11 - 04:22 pm
It's against policy. It

It's against policy. It shouldn't have happened. Also, if you're not smart enough to discipline children without corporal punishment, you need to find another line of work.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/07/11 - 05:40 pm
I agree AL, if you gotta beat

I agree AL, if you gotta beat em, send em home.

rdbike
rdbike 12/07/11 - 07:49 pm
JustSpeakingMyMind it is

JustSpeakingMyMind it is against the law because you can't just hit someone or someone's child. Just because there is a teacher involved doesn't change the fact that he hit a child. His career is over if he is convicted and then the lawsuits will take care of whatever he owns. He knew school policy and he should have known the laws against reaching out and hitting someone. He brought this on himself, I have no pity for the man.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 12/08/11 - 12:53 am
Spare the rod spoil the child

Spare the rod spoil the child but do it in love. If the school had to reimburse everyone these spoiled rotten kids damage they would be lining them up.

JRC2024
JRC2024 12/08/11 - 01:33 am
A small spanking in school

A small spanking in school never hurt me. In fact it and all the other dicipline made a man out of me, taught me that I cannot do just what I want and that there were rules. Followed all thos e rules into life and a job and glad of it. Thank you to all my teachers that cared and to my parents who made me a better person.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 12/08/11 - 04:07 am
JRC2024, Amen.

JRC2024,

Amen.

copperhead
copperhead 12/08/11 - 06:11 am
Punishing ANY CHILD for any

Punishing ANY CHILD for any reason should be outlawed. It's ALL about the children. This teacher should be imprisoned for an indefinite amount of time for child terrorism. Lock 'em up!

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/08/11 - 06:35 am
Agreed copperhead. Children

Agreed copperhead. Children should not be disciplined at all. Any parent guilty of disciplining their children should be locked up and throw away the key. Teachers have no business trying to maintain order in their classrooms with disorderly children. If they can't handle the misbehaving, rude, arrogant, and undisciplined children then they need their licenses revoked. Police officers have no business trying to maintain order in the communities or putting their hands on any juvenile for shooting at deputies, assaulting individuals, armed robbery, running over deputies, or kicking down doors. Any officer found trying to maintain order should be immediately terminated and have his certification revoked. It's all about the children, and we want to make sure we raise them right.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 12/08/11 - 08:51 am
Bike, I have been in law

Bike, I have been in law enforcement all my life! I have searched the law books over and over and corporal punishment has never been taken off the law books. It has been removed from the school systems by policy changes and teachers being forced to sign contracts that state the won't use it. Also those of you with the attitude of not spanking a child. Why don't you go visit some of the youth detention facilities. they are full, when perhaps getting their butts tore up occassionally, they may have straightened up. Been on this earth a long time. Got my butt tore up more than my share of times and I am ok, I don't have any mental issues and I still respect my parents.

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 12/08/11 - 08:57 am
And please tell me that

And please tell me that copperhead and Patty are just being facetious!

bjphysics
bjphysics 12/08/11 - 09:13 am
What is the goal of school or

What is the goal of school or teacher administered corporal punishment?

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/08/11 - 09:15 am
JustSpeaking.....I'm being

JustSpeaking.....I'm being very facetious. I believe in discipline. You can tell a disciplined person from a non-disciplined person right away. I can spot someone who has been in the military right off the bat. It's the way they carry themselves and the way they handle business. It's called discipline and can be a life saver. Same thing with children, teens, and adults. People just don't realize that it is necessary in order to bring up responsible and respectful children. It is a shame what our world has come to.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/08/11 - 09:31 am
Check Huffington Post for

Check Huffington Post for this one,,,,

"Student, 9 Years Old, Suspended For Sexual Harassment, Calling Teacher 'Cute'"

Don't we just live in a world of "Common Sense"

This bad, bad student should get at lease 5 years.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/08/11 - 09:45 am
Common sense left the

Common sense left the schoolhouse a loooong time ago...

Look around & read the headlines....this is what we get for letting kids rule the roost..

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/08/11 - 09:56 am
"What is the goal of school

"What is the goal of school or teacher administered corporal punishment?"

I believe the goal is to administer undesireable consequences for unacceptable behavior so that when unacceptable behavior is tempted, undesirable consequences makes them think twice.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/08/11 - 09:57 am
Again I will say...Let the

Again I will say...Let the Asians teach in school..I don't know how they do it BUT the Chinese & Japanese have the best & smartest kids in the neighborhood----they have a routine & by golly the kids stick with it---very little misbehaving...they have very little free time to actually get in trouble....It works.....most are in college or going to college.
I am amazed sometimes...& they show respect to their elders 100% of the time..

JustSpeakingMyMind
JustSpeakingMyMind 12/08/11 - 10:28 am
Thanks Patty for clearing

Thanks Patty for clearing that up!

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 12/08/11 - 10:42 am
While I believe there are

While I believe there are some spirited children, who are no reflection of their parents, I agree with Willow. Parents are to blame for lack of disclipine in school.

It makes no sense to disclipine the child if the parent comes up and defends the child who was doing wrong. I know all the of the teachers are not perfect, but the majority are trying to do the right thing by trying to keep order, disclipine, and teach. It is hard to do with unruly children who know nothing can be done to them and their parent or guardian will come up and defend them.

I feel this teacher deserves a raise, not a suspension! I was a handful as a child and I received my share of punishment, usually twice, once in school and once at home, I learned quickly to calm down and behave in school. It's a shame that most of the children today don't get half of what I got!

ya-ya
ya-ya 12/08/11 - 01:18 pm
I say BEAT 'EM! I got popped

I say BEAT 'EM! I got popped a few times when I was in school and I turned out just fine (depending on who you ask). There are instances, however, where some Teachers should be popped as well (wouldn't that be a sight).