A vacant house on the corner of Hunter Street and Roulette Lane caught fire this morning, and squatters could be to blame, fire officials said.
Flames were seen under the eaves of the small, green house when firefighters arrived around 10:45 a.m. The fire was out, but the blackened walls of the building still smoldered 30 minutes later.
The house, just off Wrightsboro Road, near Georgia Health Sciences University, was flanked by two other vacant houses. One of the boards covering a window on a nearby house had been pried away.
Battalion Chief Bryan McFeely said the fire department usually sees an increase in abandoned house fires this time of year as the homeless seek shelter from the cold.