Cain suspending campaign

AP
Cain addresses supporters
Saturday, Dec. 3, 2011 2:24 PM
Last updated 2:34 PM

ATLANTA — The Cain train has come to a stop.

Republican candidate Herman Cain is suspending his bid for the Republican presidential nomination to avoid continued news coverage of allegations of sexual misconduct that is hurtful to his family.

“I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distractions and the continued hurt caused on me and my family,” Cain told several hundred supporters gathered at what was to have been the opening of his national campaign headquarters.

Cain’s announcement came five days after an Atlanta-area woman claimed she and Cain had an affair for more than a decade, a claim that followed several allegations of sexual harassment against the Georgia businessman.

“But because of these false and unproved accusations, it has paid and had a tremendous painful price on my family,” Cain said, with his wife, Gloria, standing behind him on the stage.

“Now here’s why it hurts — because my wife, my family and I, we know that those false and unproved allegations are not true. So one of the first declarations that I want to make to you today is that I am at peace with my God. I am at peace with my wife. And she is at peace with me.”

Whether Cain would stay in the race or drop out was the subject of speculation throughout the week. Even some top supporters who had spoken with Cain were arriving Saturday unsure what he would say.

Cain returned to his suburban Atlanta home Friday and met with his wife, Gloria. It was the first time they have seen each other face to face since 46-year-old Ginger White came forward on Monday, and said she and Herman Cain had carried on a 13-year relationship.

Cain has denied having an affair with White. He said the concern over the toll the allegations were having on his family as well as a candid assessment of whether his campaign could still attract the needed support would inform his decision on whether to press ahead.

Campaign volunteers were keeping busy Friday night, tacking up signs at his headquarters. A contingent of Secret Service agents inspected the site in advance of Cain’s arrival.

“We are moving ahead,” said Cain’s Georgia director David McCleary, who said he had talked to the candidate earlier in the day and describe him as “upbeat.”

Cain, the former Godfather’s Pizza chief executive who has never held elected office, rose to become an unexpected front-runner in the volatile Republican race just weeks ago. A self-styled outsider, Cain enjoyed strong tea party support from conservatives who viewed him as an alternative to former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

But once in the national spotlight, Cain fumbled policy questions, leaving some to wonder whether he was ready for the presidency. Then it was revealed at the end of October that the National Restaurant Association had paid settlements to two women who claimed Cain sexually harassed them while he was president of the organization.

A third woman told The Associated Press that Cain made inappropriate sexual advances but that she didn’t file a complaint. A fourth woman also stepped forward to accuse Cain of groping her in a car in 1997.

Cain has denied wrongdoing in all cases.

Polls suggest his popularity has suffered. A Des Moines Register poll released Friday showed Cain’s support plunging, with backing from 8 percent of Republican caucus-goers in Iowa, compared with 23 percent a month ago.

Fundraising has also fallen off. He issued an email appeal to supporters on Friday asking for donations, in an attempt to gauge whether his financial support has dried up.

“I need to know that you are behind me 100 percent,” Cain told backers. “In today’s political environment, the only way we can gauge true support is by the willingness of our supporters to invest in this effort.”

On Friday, Cain urged backers in South Carolina to look past the allegations.

“There’s a lot of garbage on the Internet. There’s a lot of garbage out there on the TV. There’s a lot of garbage out there about me, don’t you know? There’s a lot of misinformation out there. You have to stay informed and check out the facts for yourself,” Cain said.

He added: “I’m on this journey for a reason. I don’t look back.”.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/03/11 - 02:34 pm
No surprise.

No surprise.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 12/03/11 - 02:38 pm
Now it will be interesting to

Now it will be interesting to see after whom 'they' will go next!

tanbaby
tanbaby 12/03/11 - 02:53 pm
if the "allegations" are

Jake
Jake 12/03/11 - 03:00 pm
Yes, I also give money to

Yes, I also give money to women for no apparent reason and do not expect anything in return. Sure.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 12/03/11 - 03:02 pm
No Republican presidential

No Republican presidential candidate is immune from the attacks of the opposition party. We really do not have a choice now. Gingrich has the personality of the rich white man, while Romney is the rich white man. And nobody likes either of them, including myself(I consider myself a working class Republican, I have never voted for a Democrat.)I am white, but I am not rich. I live paycheck to paycheck in the economy we are in now. But I want what is best for Amerca, and Obama is not it.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 12/03/11 - 03:07 pm
One other thing, I am not

One other thing, I am not second guessing Herman Cain, but since he is suspending his campaign, it means two things:
1. Either there are more skeletons in the closet, or:
2. He has a surprise up his sleeve.
After all, he did say "suspend", not "forfeir" his campaign for president. Hope may not be lost yet.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 12/03/11 - 03:15 pm
If the Democrats could stand

If the Democrats could stand behind Bill Clinton for eight years, we as Republicans should be able to give Herman Cain our support for eight years. That's the problem with us Republicans. we want to be "holier than thou". Well it's time we learn to look the other way for once, sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. Face it, a white man is not going to beat Obama, let's not kid ourselves. Let's hope he gets back in the race, and America elects it's first, truly black president. Republicans, let's get off our high horse, because if we don't we will soon be marching to Obama's drum.

RunningMan
RunningMan 12/03/11 - 03:15 pm
Finally, this side show is

Finally, this side show is over. Lets move on.

TK3
TK3 12/03/11 - 03:45 pm
Ron Paul is the only one

Ron Paul is the only one worth voting for but the "powers That Be" will never let him win. The establishment press is in the politicians/special interests pockets and will do their best to ignore Paul.

1776 ?

LouLou
LouLou 12/03/11 - 03:51 pm
I'm not taking up for either

I'm not taking up for either one in this. Others have done it be fore and will do it again, and again. My question is what does Ginger White accomplish from this?

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 12/03/11 - 04:15 pm
It was probably the right

It was probably the right thing for Herman Cain to do and I certainly believe that integritity and faithfulness in your marriage is important as we consider a man's character. With that said, I believe he could have been a good president and help move our country in the right direction. It is also a shame that this situation is why a lot of good people do not run for office. Everybody has skeletons in their closet and no one wants to have their dirty laundry for everyone else to see.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/03/11 - 04:40 pm
It is only dirty laundry for

It is only dirty laundry for Republicans. It is a badge of honor for Democrats. The Dems understand this and will do anything to get or stay in power. If you will remember this is why Gingrich walked away. Clinton's were going to air his dirty laundry and he didn't want that. Why would Cain walk away? It is for honor. He values his family more that he does the White house. Why are the Dems doing this? Because they know Obama can't win against Cain. It is a shame. So low down dirty politics wins against honest politics.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 12/03/11 - 05:30 pm
"My question is what does

"My question is what does Ginger White accomplish from this?"

Answer: A huge paycheck.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/03/11 - 05:50 pm
Put the responsibility where

Put the responsibility where it belongs on Cain and his supporters.
The Dems aren't voting for the Republican candidate, it's the Republican voters that decide; and that decision comes from their own values. It's the difference of what is acceptable by the voters

Herman Cain did not resign because of his family or great honor. He resigned because he couldn't win and saw it before this latest event. His wife doesn't believe the accusations. Let's be realistic; if he had the money to keep fighting and didn't fear what else would be coming forth, he'd still be in the running. Cain is a very smart business man and the way that happens is by looking forward.. weighing all the possibilites and choosing the best possibilities.

He has more of a chance of gaining great power, position, fame and wealth, by exiting now, while he still looks like a winner and while his support is very tradable. He took a page from Sara Palin's playbook. Look at how it's working for her. Good business decision.

Fundamental_Arminian
Fundamental_Arminian 12/03/11 - 05:59 pm
Now that Cain has bowed out

Now that Cain has bowed out in disgrace, all hopes for the FairTax are dead, because there's hardly any chance that Michele Bachman or Ron Paul can win the GOP's nomination. Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, the most likely winners, are pseudo-conservatives. The main difference between them and President Obama is that they won't push for government funding of abortions even though they'll keep abortions legal.

Regardless whether Republicans or Democrats prevail in 2012, our nation will remain enslaved to the international bankers and the Council on Foreign Relations.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/03/11 - 06:08 pm
I'm wary of change that

I'm wary of change that cannot be explained by their author.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 12/03/11 - 07:14 pm
Jake....I'm forwarding you my

Jake....I'm forwarding you my mailing address. I will be looking forward to receipt of those checks!

Insider Information
Insider Information 12/03/11 - 08:25 pm
Sandusky was seen having sex

Sandusky was seen having sex with a little boy, yet even he is presumed to be innocent.

A lady hounds Cain for money, she is believed.

Another, who just happens to live in the same building as Axelrod, claims harassment, she is believed.

Others hurl accusations behind a cloak of anonymity, they are believed.

The power of the allegation.

RunningMan
RunningMan 12/03/11 - 08:30 pm
I guess Ms. White must be a

I guess Ms. White must be a Democrat from turning on her Republican friend of 13 years. And I guess Cain is the victim. How could he have an relationship with another woman and forget to tell his wife about the relationship? If you cannot tell the truth to your spouse, what will you tell the rest of us?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/03/11 - 08:35 pm
Tanbaby says; "if the

Tanbaby says; "if the "allegations" are false, why is he "suspending" his campaign???? i would be fighting to prove my innocence !!!!!"

Sargebaby says; dang tootin! This makes him look guilty!

Vito45
Vito45 12/03/11 - 08:36 pm
You are correct sir. Although

You are correct sir. Although it has been primarily a bunch of accusations without specifics; I think there is enough smoke to believe there is some fire somewhere. I don't suffer liars gladly.

Vito45
Vito45 12/03/11 - 08:39 pm
Dittos on Willow Bailey's

Dittos on Willow Bailey's 1750 comment.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/03/11 - 08:48 pm
Willow, The Dems were the

Willow, The Dems were the ones pushing the expose Cain issue. Why is it that it is passable for Dems to do something like the but not the Repubs. If it were an even playing field I wouldn't have any argument but the Dems play dirty politics and are immediately forgiven or their shortcomings are explained away. But if it is a Repub then get rid of them. I don't see a lot of Repubs rising up against Cain just finger pointing Dems.

painfully honest
painfully honest 12/03/11 - 08:57 pm
What in the world makes you

What in the world makes you guys think that the Democrats were behind exposing this clown? I would bet my paycheck that one of the beloved right wing candidates (Rick Perry) played a role in this sex allegation thing.

Lets face the facts, Cain is a liar. He lied when he said he was innocent and he lied when he said that he is dropping out of the race because of all of the strain these allegations have put on his family. The only reason he's dropping out of the race is because he doesn't want his lies to put him in a deeper hole. He has been exposed for what he is and he is dropping out of the lime light before more skeletons in his closet are revealed.

Now, it will be interesting to see which of these candidates the Republicans will support now. Romney is very unpopular and Newt has just as many skeletons in his closet as Cain. I can't wait for the primaries to see how this soap opera unfolds.

I have just one more thing to say, "NINE-NINE-NINE!!!!!"

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/03/11 - 09:35 pm
painfull, and YOU know the

painfull, and YOU know the FACTS? All you know is what the news media has reported. For your information Politico was the source to bring these allegations out. Who is Politico? A Democrat run organization. The Dems and a lot of Repubs don't want him because he makes too much sense. Did he do the things he has been accused of? Don't know yet. I guarantee we've not heard the whole story yet. All I have said is the there should be a level playing field. Even Bill Clinton lied when he was first accused but managed to stick around and the libs still love him. Point.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/03/11 - 09:42 pm
nothing2show4it, we know the

nothing2show4it, we know the dems rejoiced in it, but unless Ginger White is a democrat, and destroying his candidacy was her motivation, I can't agree with you on that part. This happened because two people in an unhealthy, ungodly relationship, ended their mutually using relationship.

Democrats have no problem when their candidates receive an "F" in Sexual Conduct...Republicans expect more from their people.

The only chance a Republican could have with sexual skeletons is to confess, ask for forgiveness , repent and actually mean it.

I truly believe, that Herman Cain's experience will greatly benefit this country. He has contributed to aiding his party and country in a greater way than most would ever imagine. His fall from grace has paved the way for Newt's forgiveness. Newt's past is coming up next.

You may not like Newt, but he is smart. We are desperately in need of some wisdom and a President who will not be distracted.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/03/11 - 09:44 pm
Whether Herman Cain is

Whether Herman Cain is innocent but dumb as an ox, or guilty and an adulterer and a lying cheating husband, what does it really matter now that he has suspend his campaign. What bothers me is that supposibly him and Ms. White stay at a hotel on several occassions, dines out and took trips.....why has no one from the hotel been interview to verify it, why has no one (not one person) come forward and said, I said them together at so and so, why did her so called friend go public with the information and then she decided to come out first? Also, this woman claims a 13 year affair...my question is what kind of example of a mother has she set for her children....surely if this has been going on 13 year the kids are aware of it by now. This doesn't let him off the hook if he's guilty and I really feel sorry for his wife.

Why hasn't more evidence been presented to prove these allegations? Surely there is some kind of paper trail after 13 years of unfaithfulness. Wouldn't there be co-workers or colleagues that could verify them being together.

He admits giving Ms. White money on several occassions but also he admits giving money to people from his church, friends, family.....could this possibly be a case of a women who is a leech and knows where the money tree is....there was a harrassment suit against her by a friend who stated she would continuely call....could this explain all the phone calls to Cain's phone. Just a lot of unanswered question that make me go hmmmm.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 12/03/11 - 09:44 pm
People can forgive us of

People can forgive us of almost anything, if we are sincere, take personal responsibility for it, and don't blame others.

Blaming others, for our bad choices keeps us stuck in the same dysfunctional behaviors. It says, "I'm too weak, too much of a victim to make my own decisions and stand by them. I'm a follower, not a leader."

Insider Information
Insider Information 12/03/11 - 09:52 pm
Dr. Alveda King said it best

Dr. Alveda King said it best when asked about "where there's smoke, there's fire."

She said, "where there's smoke, there's usually smoke and mirrors."

Don't be so gullible. Don't let those who play politics play you. Learn to think for yourself. If you question everything, maybe you'll learn something.

painfully honest
painfully honest 12/03/11 - 10:06 pm
Nothin, Politico? How can

Nothin, Politico? How can they be the ones who brought forward these allegations? They weren't there went Herman groped those women. They weren't there when Herman and Ms. White were galavanting around the the country "bumping uglies." They may have been the ones that ran with the allegations after they were brought forward, but I don't believe they initiated this thing.

Some of you guys are still in denial. Do you really think a man like Herman Cain wil just give Ms. White money just out of the goodness of his heart? Surely you're not that gulliable. These people had an extramarital affair. When they were together, they were friends, lovers and more. That is the fact! Do you really have to see pictures of them naked to admit it? If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck!!!!!!

He is no better than that womanizing Bill Clinton. Clinton brought a lot of shame to the office of the presidency, Dubya added to it and I believe Cain would have done more of the same.